PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Yvonne

Hey. This is all where it began.

1983. Sumpter Horse. Penwortham.

Every night after work I'd be down for a pint.

Nothing special. Just a local for a pint after a hard day's work.

The weeks went by. Another pint, another day.

One thing I noticed were the same two girls at the same table every night. They looked smart. I took a notice. Nervously I asked if they would like a drink. Success, they both agreed! Bloody hell! did I have enough money? Fortunately yes. We introduced ourselves and I learned their names were Yvonne and Polly. Bloody great I thought. Little did I know what was coming next! 36 years of memories happy.

I lost Yvonne in January this year and it has torn my heart out :-(

After a swift romance and being welcomed into her family, we tied the knot. I was buzzing. We soon had a little bugger, Zoe, to keep us both occupied! 22:27 16th November 1984. She's fecking 36 now!

I don't know why I'm writing this? I'm just pissed off at the moment. I was 60 yesterday. No fucking celebration. Got a couple of visits from my brother and sister though at the back door :)

North End won yesterday. Hurray! :)

Stop whinging Karl. It's looking up...

Hiya Karl I don’t think you are whinging at all. Life is tough at times and happy at others times as you show in the beginning of your post. Nothing ever stays the same but sadness and happiness comes in cycles. Just know you are not alone we may not physically see or know each other but we can and do support each other on the forum.

I truly hope you feel better about life soon but in the meantime come and talk to us just like you have with this post.
Yvonne sounds an amazing lady and I am so sorry for your loss. You have your beautiful daughter too.

Just to finish off a belated very happy birthday to you.

My dad has been going through similar this year so I can understand to a degree what you are going through.

No shame in being upset, all I will say is how incredible it must be to have those 36 years of memories to look back on. She may not be with you physically but she will always be part of you.

Hiya Karl I don’t think you are whinging at all. Life is tough at times and happy at others times as you show in the beginning of your post. Nothing ever stays the same but sadness and happiness comes in cycles. Just know you are not alone we may not physically see or know each other but we can and do support each other on the forum.

I truly hope you feel better about life soon but in the meantime come and talk to us just like you have with this post.
Yvonne sounds an amazing lady and I am so sorry for your loss. You have your beautiful daughter too.

Just to finish off a belated very happy birthday to you.
Thanks Joan, I don't what I was saying. I was just low. Thanks for the reply. I'll be better today. I love this community. It's just sometimes days are dark. But bloody hell there's people worse off than us. Thank you (y)

My dad has been going through similar this year so I can understand to a degree what you are going through.

No shame in being upset, all I will say is how incredible it must be to have those 36 years of memories to look back on. She may not be with you physically but she will always be part of you.
Paddy, she's in front of me every day. I've got her bloody photo in front of my PC monitor. She's not going to let me get away that easily! Dominatrix she was :)

Thanks Joan, I don't what I was saying. I was just low. Thanks for the reply. I'll be better today. I love this community. It's just sometimes days are dark. But bloody hell there's people worse off than us. Thank you (y)
Yes there are people in worse situations, but that doesn't mean your struggles aren't worth sharing or deserving of empathy. As that famous philosopher (Yoda) once said "Fear is the path to the dark side." - don't be afraid to share or speak out. Sorry for your loss, hope you and your daughter can share some happy memories.

One thing I noticed were the same two girls at the same table every night. They looked smart. I took a notice. Nervously I asked if they would like a drink. Success, they both agreed! Bloody hell! did I have enough money? Fortunately yes. We introduced ourselves and I learned their names were Yvonne and Polly. Bloody great I thought. Little did I know what was coming next! 36 years of memories happy.

After a swift romance and being welcomed into her family, we tied the knot. I was buzzing. We soon had a little bugger, Zoe, to keep us both occupied! 22:27 16th November 1984. She's fecking 36 now!

I don't know why I'm writing this? I'm just pissed off at the moment. I was 60 yesterday. No fucking celebration. Got a couple of visits from my brother and sister though at the back door :)

You aren't whinging fella...... Keep speaking if it makes you feel better, there are plenty listening/reading that sympathise and understand . (y)

Hey you, sorry to read you are going through it at the moment, hope Zoe is doing as well as can be expected too. Its a shitty time when you lose someone so very close and unless you have gone through it then its hard to comprehend the pain and anguish.
Try to concentrate on all the bloody good times you had and be glad you met, if you'd gone drinking at the Tardy you would never have had the past few decades.... Keep us all up to date pal and dont be nervous of messaging any of us anytime.
Best wishes.

Now that’s a real life, love story. I much prefer to hear about that than any Hollywood romance so I’m glad you shared it with us.
Take care, remember the good times.

Sorry to hear of your loss Karl.

After 36 years it must feel like your hearts been ripped out.

On the up side it’s good to see you being positive which is a hell of a lot easier said than done I bet.

Im sure Yvonne will be looking on full of pride.

Hope you find strength to keep it up pal.

Happy 60th birthday as well👍🏻

💙

I’ve only just read this. I used to drink in the Sumpter Horse around 1992, good pub, good people.

Aren’t we lucky to have known people that were so fantastic that it hurts so much when they’re no longer here. The pain just proves how important the time we had with them was.

Smile at the memories.

Didn't they shut the Sumper a couple of years ago so they could build something on it? I don't think anything has been developed there yet.

Didn't they shut the Sumper a couple of years ago so they could build something on it? I don't think anything has been developed there yet.
They were planning to knock it down to build the access road to the new housing development at Vernon Carus. But I think the plans have changed and the road will go from The Cawsey now. I have a recollection it was compulsory purchase, but could be wrong.

Yes i think u r right, it was gonna be a big roundabout going into a new housing estate but i believe its not happening now.
Isnt there something about the fact the pub is called the Sumpter Horse that has put it on a list of protected buildings?
How are you Karl?

Karl. I wouldn't know you if l met you in the street,but the loss of a loved one is so hard to deal with.
The phrase l hate most is" Don't worry - it'll get easier" To be honest, it doesn't. We learn to deal with it, hopefully,but tepain is always there, even if under the surface.
Always be proud of Yvonne.
When this happens, we have two choices - hide away and feel sorry for ourselves or say" Stuff you nature, you're not ong to beat me"
Glad to see you seem to have taken choice number two.
Try to keep smiling, keep talking about her, and remind others that it's OK to talk about her.
When we lost our daughter almost four years ago we found that people tried to avoid talking about her in case they upset us so we encouraged people to talk about her.
Remember - you have lost her physically but she will always be in your heart and there with you.
All the best for the future.

Hi Karl,

Thanks for sharing your lovely walk down memory lane, it was beautiful to read. Can't even begin to comprehend the loss of a loved one like that but my thoughts go out to you.

On my birthday this year I went to the Smithy Inn (Much Hoole) for the first time all year. As I entered, two women approached me, but only to chastise me for having ended a brief relationship with their friend. After explaining my side of the story, I sat with the two girls to drink all night and ended up taking them back to mine after a few too many drinks.

Anyway, I've now been dating one of the women for the past 3 months and things have never looked so rosey. I've got myself a primary school teacher, early 20s, driven, and has her own house. And guess where it is, 2 doors down from the Sumpter.

Hopefully in 30 years I'll have nearly as good a story as yourself to tell. All the best mate.

Hey up chaps and chassies, a bit of good news this time. Yvonne and I had one love daughter. Zoe was always a skinny rat growing up. Never talked to anybody. Quiet as a mouse. She now 37 and been working for Eddie Stobart's for the last year. What the hell has she only gone and done?....... she's only passed her fecking HGV licence!!!!! I'm so FUCKING proud!! And no, I'm not going to apologise for my profanity. She desreves her effort.

Zoe you've made me the proudest Dad in the world. I just wish your Mum was here with us to celebrate this day.

God love Yvonne and Merry Christmas to all PNE and even Blackpool fans. I was actually born in Blackpool Victoria Hospital 1960 :) x x x