PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Zoning Out

Libertine

Thick Nomark
Patron
Right can we now just all agree that zonal marking needs to get in the bin. Get the players back on man to man marking. If your man scores, everyone knows it was your man. With zonal there is no definite accountability. Browne has been called out for his involvement in their goal last night. Yes he appears to be bumped, but he seems to be on his way to engage the lad at the back post at the time and then a flat footed Hughes doesn't take the guy who scores. With man to man marking who was at fault wouldn't even be in question. If someone is consistently getting it wrong that can be worked on or tweaked. Zonal gives players a chance to hide.

Having looked at it a couple of times I just think Boro have done their homework. It appears to fall in Bauers zone but he is blocked off by Samba (I think) which is why I believe Hughes is very slow to react.

Fair play to Samba though, two interesting goal contributions on the night.

But Frankie says we're really good at defending set pieces.

Maybe Storey was the good one.

"Honest" Frankie just gives out random statements knowing our media team will never pull him up on them.

A mixture is probably sensible. 1 or 2 spare to attack zones, everyone else marking men.

In order to create a spare man to mark zones, we'd have to leave at least 1 up on the halfway line as well to take 2 of their men out which we don't do.
I agree with what you're saying, but it needs a total change of philosophy on corners.

To be fair, no one was singing the praises of zonal marking when we used it to not concede from a set piece for 20 odd games.

Zonal makes more sense as a concept to me, but I’ve never been able to find any decent stats showing which set up is actually better.

I’d be interested to read if anyone has some stats on jt

To be fair, no one was singing the praises of zonal marking when we used it to not concede from a set piece for 20 odd games.

Zonal makes more sense as a concept to me, but I’ve never been able to find any decent stats showing which set up is actually better.

I don't think its as simple of one being better than the other. This week is just an example that if you give an ex-Warnock team like Boro 11 corners, then you can you expect to find yourself conceding from one of them. And same goes for last weekend as it was an ex-Mick McCarthy team.

People can try use stats to support one method over the other, but they are often comparing stats from elite leagues. In the EFL it is more rough and tumble. Teams will often play for set pieces and corners - not just for the scoring threat - but for the mental pressure it can exert on a defending team.

In terms of having everyone back at corners, I don't think you can produce stats that show categorically its true value. When a ball gets headed clear but the opposition regain possession immediately, they can then try to cross for a second time or at least start another attack. That will never be shown on any stats for conceding from corners. It will surely be deemed a new phase of play statistically.

Agreed on the stats.
I just like that man to man gives you that accountability. That's about it really.

Your assuming Frankie knows he’s setting the team up to zonal mark.
He just tells the lads to get out there and hope for a victory and wee-luck.

To even begin to understand it you need a dining table
Various condiment bottles, a couple of candlesticks (nets) and some quality street wrappers made into a ball
Or a subutteo set - preferably the stadium edition

North End's budget doesn't stretch that far; that's the main reason why the current coaching methods are totally ineffective.