Page 81 of 85 FirstFirst ... 31717980818283 ... LastLast

Thread: Political Correctness

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Mellie View Post
    When are the Serena and the rest of the ladies going to play best of 5 sets if they want equality with men? Ladies football play a full 90 mins, why not tennis

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk
    Its quality not quantity. Frankly the 5 sets the men play is more a test of endurance rather than skill. They should stick to 3 sets. Then it would end quicker and then we could watch randall and hopkirk

League Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by portisheadpete View Post
    Its quality not quantity. Frankly the 5 sets the men play is more a test of endurance rather than skill. They should stick to 3 sets. Then it would end quicker and then we could watch randall and hopkirk
    They receive the same salary as somebody else but work fewer hours and bring in less business.

Sounds like inequality to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mer5eywhite View Post
    They receive the same salary as somebody else but work fewer hours and bring in less business.

To be fair, I alway thought that, but it seems that women and WTA actually want to play five sets in the slams. It's the tournament organisers who have refused.

League Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sepp Blatter View Post
    To be fair, I alway thought that, but it seems that women and WTA actually want to play five sets in the slams. It's the tournament organisers who have refused.
    Fair enough.

Manager
    As Mersey says , fair enough, so....

The men play 3 sets, I mean , equality and all that guvnor.

That's because instead of a load of 2-0 wins there'd just be a load of 3-0 wins. Certainly until the semi finals.

Quote Originally Posted by Tino View Post
    That's because instead of a load of 2-0 wins there'd just be a load of 3-0 wins. Certainly until the semi finals.
    Might well be true! Must admit, I don't watch a lot of women's tennis.

I think I have my answer to the Serena question!

Billy Jean King was the most outspoken supporter of Williams in this. But this article shouts that BJK realises she unthinkingly screamed prejudice and now realises she needs to backtrack rapidly! She still can't QUITE bring herself to admit she got it COMPLETELY wrong, so still makes sure she publicly criticises the umpire... by saying he could have chosen different words. (FFS).

I know that black women (and homosexual ones like BJK) suffer a lot of prejudice - but it's stupid to scream prejudice when it's not there, because people will quickly stop listening.

Serena Williams was "totally out of line" for her US Open final outburst, but umpire Carlos Ramos "blew it", says tennis legend Billie Jean King.
    Williams, beaten in straight sets by Naomi Osaka, was docked a game for verbal abuse, having already had a point penalty for smashing her racquet and a code violation for coaching.
    The American, 36, later said it was "sexist" to have been penalised a game.
    "Serena was out of line, there's no question," said compatriot King.
    King, one of the founders of the Women's Tennis Association (WTA), initially backed the 23-time Grand Slam champion, saying in the aftermath of Saturday's final: "When a woman is emotional, she's 'hysterical' and she's penalised for it. When a man does the same, he's 'outspoken' and there are no repercussions.
    "Thank you, Serena Williams, for calling out this double standard. More voices are needed to do the same."
    'There's sexism in tennis but that doesn't excuse Williams'
    However, in an interview with CNN on Tuesday, King's stance softened.
    "No-one was saying she was a good sport, if they are they're crazy," added the 74-year-old, who won 12 Grand Slam singles titles.
    "The point is he [Ramos] aggravated the situation, instead of 'I'm not attacking your character' which is the most important thing he could have said."
    Williams' claims of sexism were backed by the WTA, but the International Tennis Federation said Ramos acted "at all times with professionalism and integrity".
    "I felt like he blew it," said King. "First of all as an umpire you're supposed to keep the flow of the match going and he did just the opposite.
    "He needed to tell Serena he can't apologise, he did the right thing there, he's got to be the boss - but all he had to say to Serena is: 'I am not attacking your character.'
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/45492288

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Mer5eywhite View Post

This is sport, not piece work. Like saying footballers should get paid more if a game goes to extra time. Potty thinking.
    As for bringing in more business this is partly due to marketing. And men generally are in charge of running businesses involved in sport. Qed.

League Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by portisheadpete View Post
    This is sport, not piece work. Like saying footballers should get paid more if a game goes to extra time. Potty thinking.
    As for bringing in more business this is partly due to marketing. And men generally are in charge of running businesses involved in sport. Qed.
    Try taking a step back outside your culturally biased thinking and instead of calling them men and women, lets introduce cold hard logic and call them A and B in no particular order.

A is a sportperson who may have to play for 5 hours in order to earn the same money as B who is contracted to play the same game for only 3 hours.

A is unhappy about this but is told that this is sport and therefore the normal rules of work do not apply.

Lets go back 2 or 3 years...

At this time Sportsperson B was awarded a prize for winning after 3 hours but it was lower than the prize awarded to sportsperson A for playing for up to 5 hours.

B was unhappy about this but was told that this is sport and the normal rules of work don't apply...

Still potty thinking?

Or just an excuse trotted out to justify inequality because inequality is OK as long as it is against those with no history of being oppressed.
    Last edited by Mer5eywhite; 12-09-2018 at 11:10 PM.