Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The Tennis Thread 2018

Quote Originally Posted by justinr73 View Post
    All Tim had to do was to be born with a silver spoon in his mouth!

Last time I looked KP had scored more runs for England across all formats than anyone ever. He’ll do for me.

You’ll be saying that Clive Lloyd and Wasim Akram aren’t Lancastrian next.

Think Tim still probably had to show the tenacity to go to his tennis lesson once a week.

KP... can't argue he was a great batsmen. So was Alan Border... doesn't make him English!

Clive and Wasim... don't be ridiculous. Obviously Lancastrian-converts… no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Regardless View Post
    Turning attention to the future of British tennis... two of our really promising young singles players, Jay Clark (19) and Harriet Dart have teamed up in the senior mixed doubles and have made it through to semi-final. They've got it tough against Jamie Murray & Azarenka in the next hour or so.

Even though Murray and Azarenka are more likely to deliver a grand slam for GB, I think it would be great if the two youngsters got through to the final.

In Boys' singles, we've got Jack Draper playing in the semi-final right now. I've watched a couple of his games, and he looks really competent and he's currently battling 4-5 in the second set, after he took the first one on a tie-break... not been a break of serve in the match yet.

Draper's only 16 too, a year younger than most.
    Only seen a snippet of tv coverage of Draper since Wimbledon... but see that he won TWO ITF adult men's events this month... as an unseeded player in both, I think. But despite being unseeded, the bookies were generally offering very short odds against him in his matches, so it seems that they money is following him.

In the top 1000 men in the world, he's the four highest ranked Under-18 - and indeed the highest ranked sixteen year old. Actually the only 16yr old in there.

We know that much more often than not, these young prodigies don't make it to the top 20... but definitely a lad worth looking out for.