+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dementia

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    My mother has been recently diagnosed with early stages of dementia.

She was also suffering from Psychosis following the death of my father. The mental health team have prescribed her with two sorts of medication, one for each condition Olanzapine and Donepezil, which are making her life very miserable.

Has anyone on here had any experience with these medications, particularly the first one for the psychosis? She's turned into a zombie after being on this for 8 months?
    Olanzapine is a widely used atypical anti-psychotic for the treatment of psychosis and/or schizophrenia, although I've seen it used in other psychiatric disorders rarely, bi-polar I think??? It's an atypical as its from the newer generation of these medications with less reported side effects than the older versions. It does have side effects as do most medications so if she's over tranquillised I'd ask for the dose to be reviewed as a starter. The other medication I'm assuming is for dementia and Ive no experience of it.

You can look all these meds up online with the BNF but remember if anyone ever reports a side effect it is listed as a yellow page submission by professionals. For a balance look up the side effects of Aspirin. It might be less than 0.001 % of the population but it will be reported.
    Alex Neil “This club has had a certain style for four years and I’m trying to change that and the style I want to play is the complete opposite to that.”

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    My mother has been recently diagnosed with early stages of dementia.

She was also suffering from Psychosis following the death of my father. The mental health team have prescribed her with two sorts of medication, one for each condition Olanzapine and Donepezil, which are making her life very miserable.

Has anyone on here had any experience with these medications, particularly the first one for the psychosis? She's turned into a zombie after being on this for 8 months?
    Good luck for the future.
    Raefil, He's the second best moderator this forum has ever had, closely behind Nobber.

Quote Originally Posted by marsbars View Post
    Olanzapine is a widely used atypical anti-psychotic for the treatment of psychosis and/or schizophrenia, although I've seen it used in other psychiatric disorders rarely, bi-polar I think??? It's an atypical as its from the newer generation of these medications with less reported side effects than the older versions. It does have side effects as do most medications so if she's over tranquillised I'd ask for the dose to be reviewed as a starter. The other medication I'm assuming is for dementia and Ive no experience of it.

You can look all these meds up online with the BNF but remember if anyone ever reports a side effect it is listed as a yellow page submission by professionals. For a balance look up the side effects of Aspirin. It might be less than 0.001 % of the population but it will be reported.
    Thanks for your help here my friend, much appreciated. I've banged on to her gp and we have cut the dose down in half to be taken at night, and she's 1000 per cent better in just over a week!!!!!!

A bit of paranoia has returned but it looks like we've got her back!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bhagwan H View Post
    Thanks for your help here my friend, much appreciated. I've banged on to her gp and we have cut the dose down in half to be taken at night, and she's 1000 per cent better in just over a week!!!!!!

What a great thing to read. Great stuff!
    Raefil, He's the second best moderator this forum has ever had, closely behind Nobber.

Quote Originally Posted by marsbars View Post

And you want to be a wagon driver?...... Feckin waste if you ask me.
    Vote For John Brown

Quote Originally Posted by Bhagwan H View Post

Bloody great news Brill Happy for you. Its always a balance between symptom management and side effects.
    Last edited by marsbars; 10-09-2018 at 07:59 PM.
    Alex Neil “This club has had a certain style for four years and I’m trying to change that and the style I want to play is the complete opposite to that.”

Quote Originally Posted by Liberation View Post
    And you want to be a wagon driver?...... Feckin waste if you ask me.
    17 quid an hour working 3 days of my holidays as an RMN Libs and on 27 quid an hour driving an 18 tonner to Manchester the morra

+ Reply to Thread