Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fairways on Blackpool Rd

Assistant Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by beagleman View Post
    Bloody hell, remind me what house of holland was Harry...
    Big white shop that wrapped itself round the corner of Blackpool Rd and ribbleton lane, sold everything from lawn mowers to sofas. Was replaced I think by machine mart. Other buildings there included a small police station across the road, and the Carlton bingo.
    Dirty Harry. Spouting shite and nowt better to do since 2015.

Substitute
    Following the success of my thread re the toy shop on Plungington, am I right or not that there used to be a petrol station where Fairways VW garage is now ? Opposite the old Perrys site. Seem to recall a drive on petrol station there in 70s or 80s ? May be wrong. Not the one opposite Romford Rd btw. Cheers boys n girls.
    I remember there being the sand pits quarry/pits there, played in there many times in the 1960's with Fyfes (sp) bananas in front where the PC world is or Aldi now.

Assistant Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtow View Post
    I remember there being the sand pits quarry/pits there, played in there many times in the 1960's with Fyfes (sp) bananas in front where the PC world is or Aldi now.
    Me too big tow. We used to slide down the sand pits on cardboard box sleighs made out of fyfes bananas boxes. Great summer hols they were.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
    Me too big tow. We used to slide down the sand pits on cardboard box sleighs made out of fyfes bananas boxes. Great summer hols they were.
    Folks used to do that on Brook St park as well, plenty of gaps between the bars on Blackpool Rd. widened so they wouldn’t have to walk what seemed miles to get on the park.

Substitute
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
    Was dangerous, big sand avalanches, don't remember it being guarded or monitored. Was it storage for sand, can't see it being there naturally

Was dangerous, big sand avalanches, don't remember it being guarded or monitored. Was it storage for sand, can't see it being there naturally
    Was it something to do with Crofts? My mum mentioned something about them, sure it was that area?

Quote Originally Posted by northender0602 View Post
    Was it something to do with Crofts? My mum mentioned something about them, sure it was that area?
    It was part of Crofts Brickworks with a Clay pit at the back.
    They occasionally dumped bath shaped vessels in the pit which we used as canoes to sail around the pit.

Assistant Manager
    I'm not sure of the origins of the sand pits but by the time we used them in the 70s they were largely grassed over, a bit like the sand dunes at St Anne's. There was also a horrible land fill site there that stank.

Following the success of my thread re the toy shop on Plungington, am I right or not that there used to be a petrol station where Fairways VW garage is now ? Opposite the old Perrys site. Seem to recall a drive on petrol station there in 70s or 80s ? May be wrong. Not the one opposite Romford Rd btw. Cheers boys n girls.
    Correct. It was a Texaco petrol station and was there upto about 10-15 years ago, then knocked down and the VW garage took over the space. This is where it was located https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.77...7i13312!8i6656