Thread: This season

This season

First and foremost I apologise for starting another thread but I think this is perhaps only the third / fourth I have ever started a thread so why the hell not ! and perhaps could have chosen a few from the last 24 hrs to post in but couldn't decide which

I have been watching North End since 1973 and like many others have seen dark days , great moments and the current over kill IMO of football with what seems like every game on the Tele and any form of connection with a club from players/managers a by gone era ( which is understandable based on modern society / throw away culture and chasing for every ) but its a club that I love and bringing my little lad on is an enjoyable experience and sitting on the game with my dad and family is what makes a Saturday special so why does it feel like a malaise has spread throughout the club from the very top to the bottom after a 7th placed finish and only 7 games into the new season ? , the atmosphere has gone from subdued to non existent and maybe the over achievement of last season ( and thats not little Preston mentality just an opinion based on the 3rd smallest budget in the league ) has raised the bar high not that I expected a season where we pushed on as the lack of quality transfers ( 1st team players ) to complement the superb policy we have had over recent seasons of buying prospects for me told its own story especially on the back of the Maguire injury we simply as a club fail to grasp that we put building blocks in place and fail to make that final push.

Whilst I think TH has been on the whole a superb owner who is willing to ensure the club has a future and if the figures are correct is willing to subside the club in the region of £5/£6 Million a season then fair credit but having secured as we will again if we sell Pearson , Robinson etc a superb ROI it seemed obvious to all to manage expectation and push the boat out a little after the sales of Hugill and Cunningham to find those key players who would improve the first eleven to be alongside the current crop and the new players who take time to integrate to a very demanding league of football but we didn't and the buck has to stop with the owner who has signalled his intent regardless of the message he has sent out previous that unless AN or another manager can work a miracle the best we can hope for is Championship football again next season and after 50 + years outside of the top flight and a genuine belief that this bunch of players and management needed to see a clear message that we could progress this season it wasn't coming and a few are acting like ' whats the point in pushing myself or so it seems '

I firmly believe that the above is why the feeling of ' we are so close ' yet so far again for the umpteenth time in our history is creating for some supporters a feeling of why bother , if you do not progress in the Championship you eventually go backwards with the sale of your best assets and we start again in League One where with our ground , lack of debt and supporter base makes us a decent prospect , we are one of the smaller championship teams based on fan numbers , budget and top flight football but its no excuse for not pushing on again when we had the chance - the classic example to look at is Brentford buy some players under a million , sell consistently for me but then re invest a fair chunk of those sales and spend circa 35-40% back on sales and attempt to improve when in a good position , they should make the top six this season and we could have made those ' gambles ' finished 24th but at least I would have felt we are seeing what is possible instead we kicked off this season with from my perspective little chance of improvement and a missed opportunity

When I come to think of AN he doesn't appear to have IMO become that popular with the supporters in comparison to others at times but maybe it takes time but after a 7th placed finish his stock was as high as it was after his days at Hamilton and Norwich after promotion he is clearly an ambitious manager and perhaps he on a personal basis is feeling disappointed that he expected us to sign those players that would invigorate the squad and its obvious some players are in a rut and perhaps after a great year as an employee and you know what you need to be better at your job and it doesn't happen you lose that 5% and in this league it shows , the loss of form / injuries and suspensions do not help and he is tinkering the squad , making what we as supporters think are bizarre team selections and subs but the players must also take some responsibility for there actions on the pitch and some IMO need to take a really good luck at themselves and find that work rate that made this squad assembled at fractions compared to others battle there way to victories last season ... is it too early to establish this season where AN will be , where we may finish yes IMO but the feeling that the glasses half empty seems evident and the club needs some good news on the pitch but as importantly off it even if it may just be a little bit of spin !!

I have seen far darker days watching the Nobbers as we all have but have I felt a non plus feeling after the match and a general belief that we are ' going nowhere as a club ' ? not sure if I'm being honest - TH is the man IMO if the club is struggling he won't allow us to flounder but when an opportunity arises for the genuine chance to push on having worked so hard to get this bunch of players together for a small amount in comparison to the daft monies being spent in the Championship it makes you feel proud but also so frustrated that the owner cannot or will not see the bigger picture ...

I will never stop supporting the club and will always want it to succeed , will try and see the positives thats my nature , enjoy the experience of match day with the family and maybe seeing us lost 4-0 at Torquay in League Two was worse but its the hope that eventually kills you and little by little that is waining

Mortis
    Last edited by Mortis; 16-09-2018 at 10:22 AM.

When i walked onto the invincibles concourse, pre match, yesterday it struck me that the demographic was very much 50+.

I commented to my mate, "Where are the young people?"

The atmosphere wasnt just flat yesterday it was non existent and I have to admit, and this rare, when we equalised for the 2nd time i barely lifted an eyelid.

Its concerning where not just this club but the game in general is going.
    "The gig economy is nothing new, its simply the reincarnation of an ancient evil."

Justin Welby

Quote Originally Posted by raefil View Post
    When i walked onto the invincibles concourse, pre match, yesterday it struck me that the demographic was very much 50+.

The atmosphere wasnt just flat yesterday it was non existent and I have to admit, and this rare, when we equalised for the 2nd time i barely lifted an eyelid.

Not sure why but everything felt flat as a pancake yesterday. I didn't even get off my seat when Johnson scored. Can't remember the last time I did that.

Quote Originally Posted by raefil View Post

Understand that entirely , I do wonder where the game is heading , the League of Nations for instance is surely just another cash cow that surely supporters don't want / cannot see the point in

Maybe I'm of the generation where football was something to really look forward to , I just feel its over kill at the moment and where will it stop ... supply/demand states it won't anytime soon as the armchair viewer watches more and more

Mortis

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Not sure why but everything felt flat as a pancake yesterday. I didn't even get off my seat when Johnson scored. Can't remember the last time I did that.
    I get that , both goals yesterday where celebrated almost like consolation goals in some areas of the ground - not a great sign

Mortis

Substitute
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
    I get that , both goals yesterday where celebrated almost like consolation goals in some areas of the ground - not a great sign

Mortis
    I disagree, I think the feeling was more that now were level were going to go on and win.

First Team
    Every season, especially pre-season, I read the posts of supporters who seem to exist in la-la-land. There seems to be some Prozac fuelled mass hysteria, blindly proclaiming our imminent promotion whilst completely ignoring the lack of investment and 57 years history.

I used to think I was just becoming grumpy and cynical with age but now I realise that its a cycle. The younger fans will feel the same in a few years but unlike me they may just vote with their feet.