PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Matchday Thread Southampton v PNE - 16/04/24 - KO:8PM - Championship

To be far I thought that v Norwich Whatmough didn't put a foot wrong considering he was obviously playing out of position.

Didn't see much of the game last night so can't really comment how he played.

Overall it does smack of square peg in a round hole & on a similar par of decision making that saw Holmes playing at RWB.
He wasn't put under much pressure v Norwich. Southampton pressed the ball all over the pitch, he got found out.
All our players did.

Southampton did just about everything better than we did. Their players are just better, I don't think any formation would have compensated for that.

This has happened before, even in the days of Moyes and Davies.

My patience with him is done.

There will be no plan B whilst this fixation with wing backs remains. It works, occasionally but long term, no chance. We have struggled to get in a first choice wing back and we literally have no player, in reserve, that can play that position.

this is the championship, not Europe or the prem, were a lower financed fish in the championship so unless and until Lowe realises that his obsession doesnt work we will continue to plod along as the archetypal mid table team.

The last 2 seasons, with the odd exception, have been devoid of excitement and entertainment for the paying supporters. I suspect that the straw is about to break the camels back with the fans.

Heres the reality.

PNE, my club, the club ive supported for nearly 60 years are more boring now than at any point in the time Ive watched them.

Well done Lowe, youve achieved, with me, what even Docherty, Ferguson and Westley didnt manage, driven me away, I suspect Im not alone.
A great post, which says it all relating to the mainly turgid football that has been churned out for the majority of RLs tenure at our club.
I have only managed 51 years so far watching North End, my first season being in 1973, but agree 100% with your comments.
I have never been as bored watching North End at any other point in the time I've watched us, than under this manager. In his time here there has been very ,very limited exciting or entertaining football ,but plenty of mundane,slow tempo and dire football on offer.
Last night's performance was yet another abysmal performance which could have lead to a much heavier defeat had Southampton finished better their many first half chances or not taken their foot off the gas in the second half.
The fact that RL thought that the second half performance was playing to his game plan and that this was more like us,.🤔.We hardly had any possession, when we did,we had no game plan and gave the ball away, we could not get out of our own half and did not have one creditable effort at goal, is more like us, playing to his game plan.
I think that's says it all really, deluded and clueless. ☹️🤔😡

A fascinating exercise, but it starts at the top for me. Ridsdale is a 🦕 and is not up to the job. He has been at the club far too long and we’ve not threatened success whilst he’s been here. We need new blood with up to date ideas imho.
Ryan Lowe is also out of position. He isn’t clever enough to be the main man. He could do a decent job as an assistant somewhere else I’m sure.
We could do alternative positions etc for the management owners and coaches

I said they do but they are not the be all and end all. Others have managed to get promoted without them. We need to stop the excuses they have worn too thin.
Exactly, and if Luton come down, and to some extent Burnley (who got there in the first place) and in the near future maybe even Ipswich, they will have parachute payments, if we ever get to the Prem then we have the chance to break the mould and also put us in that bracket.

My patience with him is done.

There will be no plan B whilst this fixation with wing backs remains. It works, occasionally but long term, no chance. We have struggled to get in a first choice wing back and we literally have no player, in reserve, that can play that position.

this is the championship, not Europe or the prem, were a lower financed fish in the championship so unless and until Lowe realises that his obsession doesnt work we will continue to plod along as the archetypal mid table team.

The last 2 seasons, with the odd exception, have been devoid of excitement and entertainment for the paying supporters. I suspect that the straw is about to break the camels back with the fans.

Heres the reality.

PNE, my club, the club ive supported for nearly 60 years are more boring now than at any point in the time Ive watched them.

Well done Lowe, youve achieved, with me, what even Docherty, Ferguson and Westley didnt manage, driven me away, I suspect Im not alone.
I don't always agree with 100% of your posts (maybe 50% :D ) but absolutely bob on with this one!

Lindsay and Keane gave their shirts to the crowd.

Worst thing for me was Storey (who I’m a big fan of) laughing and waving to friends/family in the away end.

No-one could be arsed to give him stick for it, but it struck me as a bit off after a performance like that. 😤

Summed up the players’ attitude on the night though. 💩
I'd of thrown the shirts right back at them!

Lindsay and Keane gave their shirts to the crowd.

Worst thing for me was Storey (who I’m a big fan of) laughing and waving to friends/family in the away end.

No-one could be arsed to give him stick for it, but it struck me as a bit off after a performance like that. 😤

Summed up the players’ attitude on the night though. 💩
Storey is shit.

So you think Rotherham should be leading the championship with the three quid they spent
He said nothing remotely like that. Twisting words and using budgets and parachute payments has worn thin. Two local teams to us managed premier league football without parachute payments even though LiS seems to conveniently have forgotten that without even touching on Luton. You can fool some of the people all of the time etc.

All that is bad enough but to play like we did on Tuesday night (and it’s by no means the first time in the last two seasons) is inexcusable.

He was maybe laughing to hide his complete shame and embarrassment . If he wasn’t then it tells us all about the lack of professionalism of him and this club.
it certainly illustrates the acceptance of mediocrity throughout the club , the idea that getting regularly hammered by bigger clubs is acceptable so long as we just avoid relegation each season .

I think the squad will get some good additions during the summer and we will improve on this season, but I am the eternal optimist, watching the club for the last 54 years has made me like this

I think the squad will get some good additions during the summer and we will improve on this season, but I am the eternal optimist, watching the club for the last 54 years has made me like this
It’s last chance saloon for me this next season. Because I think we do have a handful of good players and two handfuls of less than mediocre players. I want to see us build on the handful, if we don’t then we never will.

I reckon we'll strengthen a bit and also lose a bit and be about the same level. Lose Millar, Browne, maybe Riis etc and replace them with probably lesser players. Then improve a couple of areas, hopefully defence.