PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Terrible Striking options

Agreed they need time in their permanent positions but they wont fill those shoes

Maybe so but most of us had never heard of Keane or Laird a year ago, also Buchanan was highly regarded at
Tranmere so much so that the majority of their fans considered him a bigger loss than Welch,who while on the subject has looked excellent except when played out of position.

Maybe so but most of us had never heard of Keane or Laird a year ago, also Buchanan was highly regarded at
Tranmere so much so that the majority of their fans considered him a bigger loss than Welch,who while on the subject has looked excellent except when played out of position.

For me our best player.............

I think we have two decent full backs but I dont think they have the presence on the ball that the original lads had.....

Going back to the thread title it needs to be Trundle or King with Beavon....... I really dont rate the other 3 at all

we do desperately need to get a better quality but affordable striker in to partner Beavon .

Which Trundle might yet prove to be. I agree that Elding and Beardsley look surplus to requirements but Cummins has at least shown the ability to get his head to the ball. I still think that the lack of wide midfield options is a major reason for our problems because it leads to us compensating by using these odd formations with a packed central midfield and just a single striker - a role that fails to make the best use of Beavon and which has led directly to his goals almost drying up. Frankly we could do a lot worse than give the young lad Zibaka a try - is he that much younger than Monakana or Hayhurst and we ought in any case to make more of the latter.

Yes, as you've said many a time Ernest, Laird's forcefulness from left back was extremely dangerous and has not been replaced. This made up for the lack of midfield options to an extent but whilst I have faith that Buchanan will prove a good left back he isn't the same sort of player as Laird so another personnel/formation solution is needed. At the moment its not been found.

I felt when we signed them that we'd be very lucky if even one of Monakana and Amoo came good and it looks like now we're left hoping that Monakana can make make good on his potential as Amoo doesn't seem to be a factor any more. We always looked to be a little light on wide attacking and striking options and funnily enough the loss of two defenders (who, on paper, are replaceable!) is the thing that has seriously brought that into focus.

Thanks Simo. A single signing - a forceful right-sided midfielder to give us an alternative not merely the poor replacement for Monakana that Amoo provides would make all the difference. I think that when Kane was signed GW was maybe thinking of using him at right-back and pushing Keane further forward - or perhaps vice-versa. But we can't rely on Monakana match-in, match-out - he is still far too young and unreliable, however destructive he can be at times, and even at his best he provides negligible support for the fullback behind him. A proper right-back as well would be even better. We could then play more defensive or more attacking 4.4.2 formation according to requirements and even if we wanted switch to a single striker formation with Trundle or even Cummins, not Beavon, upfront. But until we solve that midfield problem any other signings - well maybe not a right-back - will be fairly pointless.