PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Target?

Tark

Well, despite today's encouraging result, we're not going to make the play-offs are we?
So, 7 pts behind the Plastics that we put 4 past, I think finishing above them should be our target for this season. Thoughts?

Tark;n3424872 said:
Well, despite today's encouraging result, we're not going to make the play-offs are we?
So, 7 pts behind the Plastics that we put 4 past, I think finishing above them should be our target for this season. Thoughts?

That's my target. Had a tenner with a plastic at work this week for who would finish higher

Tark;n3424872 said:

Aye, reasonable. I still think we're in a relegation scrap. Couple more wins would put me at ease though.

Finish the season on the up so we can keep hold of our best players by making them think that we have a realistic chance of promotion next season.

pnenycx;n3425298 said:
Difficult to make top half but 6/1 ain't bad.

There's people on here who still think we can make the play offs! Personally i'll be happy with a good run through to the end of the season, and pick up some points quickly to banish any worry of relegation.

Aitch;n3425329 said:
There's people on here who still think we can make the play offs! Personally i'll be happy with a good run through to the end of the season, and pick up some points quickly to banish any worry of relegation.

Aye, from end of March we have Reading (fighting for their lives) and then Sheff Utd, Leeds and West Brom who are all pushing for promotion so ideally we don't still want to be scrapping around for points at that point.

The last 4 of Ipswich, Wigan, Sheff Wed and Brentford isn't a bad way to finish. On paper...

Some big games to come yet, could be a good 2nd half of the season particularly at Deepdale - Derby, Norwich, Forest, Bristol City, Birmingham, Sheff U and Leeds still to come (plus Ipswich and Sheff Wed).

Aitch;n3425329 said:

If we win our next two we will be seven points behind Derby....keep believing Aitch!

Re the top half finish, remeber the first half of the season was plagued by a horrendous injury list. While the play offs are probably beyond us and the relegation pack are a little too close (10 points or so back at this moment in time) , 6/1 to catch up half a dozen points (Forest on 39) seems a halfway decent punt. Remember QPR are one of Sky's darling teams along with Leeds, the Sheffields, Frank Lampard's Derby etc so if that is an announcement of what we can really do who knows wat might happen

Yoowell;n3425351 said:
If we win our next two we will be seven points behind Derby....keep believing Aitch!

You're not serious pal? Not only would be competing against 4 of the top 6 for play off slots, we'd also be competing against the 11 teams between us and the play offs. Impossible.

Top half would be nice. Target should be to get to the root cause of our annual injury crisis that would derail any team.

jcfartpants;n3425361 said:
You're not serious pal? Not only would be competing against 4 of the top 6 for play off slots, we'd also be competing against the 11 teams between us and the play offs. Impossible.

You are probably right Jc...however someone will come out of the pack with a good run and I don’t see why it can’t be us.
I backed us last week @ 66/1 just for a bit of interest and was a bit miffed when we went 100/1 with Skybet on Saturday morning.
After beating QPR we are now 40/1 which is probably about fair.
As I said it’s a very long shot, however I think we will be closer to the playoffs than relegation.

Yoowell;n3425365 said:
You are probably right Jc...however someone will come out of the pack with a good run and I don’t see why it can’t be us.
I backed us last week @ 66/1 just for a bit of interest and was a bit miffed when we went 100/1 with Skybet on Saturday morning.
After beating QPR we are now 40/1 which is probably about fair.
As I said it’s a very long shot, however I think we will be closer to the playoffs than relegation.

Out of the pack probably means Bristol City, Hull or maybe Swansea. Bristol City already have 11 points on us (we're 10 from Reading in 22nd) and besides that great run of 6 wins in 11 we've won 2 games in the other 17. Let's just get enough to stay well clear and then hopefully finish well but I'd be surprised if we get higher than 15th.

Finish comfortably midtable, cash in on some who realistically we can't keep (Pearson, Robbo and possibly Browne) and try and find some more upcoming players to come in to squad for coming years.

I suspect this will be our plan.

we currently have 33 points from 28 games..... I'd be delighted with another 33 points from the last 17 games.... and that would still leave us 7 points shy of last season, when 67 points got 11th place.

Finish 10th (anything better than 11th) and top of the mini Lanc's league would do me now - however had we gone into the Sheff Wed game in Dec, plus the games since, with the squad we had even in the nov - Dec run I would expect us to have be in top 10 by now and above Rovers.... The pearo red and Moult injury started the mini collapse...

points with a fit squad vrs points with an injury hit squad are vastly different. keep a fit squad and 70 points might just be possible...