PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Match Day - Wigan v PNE - 08/02/20 - KO:12:30 - Championship

Not missed a game Rudd sf, in top 5 performers of the season imo. Don't disagree especially on aggression, Dec is literally working his spuds off for north end 👍🏻

Its not like he has competition so not surprising he's started every game.

It appears you think Carlo Nash was a good keeper but he was absolute garbage in his last season for us.

Nugent was the last player I can remember where we got a player ready to go for a pittance. Surprising Bury let him go so cheaply. Now even non league clubs are wise when it comes to demanding the right fee.

Pearson. Sinclair. Bauer. Cunningham.

The latter not youngsters obviously but still would think we signed them ‘ready to go’.

Thing is, he may be told to stay on his line for corners etc, non of us know. Also, given what has been said about Rudd staying on his line and not coming for crosses, etc I have been watching goalies on MOTD and Quest since start of the season and I have been very surprised at how many stay on their lines for corners and fee-kicks, even top goalkeepers so it is not just Rudd who does this - is this now the norm for when coaching a goalie, they stay on their line and leave it to defenders to defend?

Last edited:
It appears you think Carlo Nash was a good keeper but he was absolute garbage in his last season for us.

He was a different class to Rudd, the best permanent keeper we've had since God knows who.

We were a top six side in Nash's final 6 months here and our form curtailed when he was frozen out and the sold for being a bit of a dick. We lost just 4 games before Christmas with him in goal, he was never garbage for us.

Thing is, he may be told to stay on his line for corners etc, non of us know. Also, given what has been said about Rudd staying on his line and not coming for crosses, etc I have been watching goalies on MOTD and Quest since start of the season and I have been very surprised at how many stay on their lines for corners and fee-kicks, even top goalkeepers so it is not just Rudd who does this - is this now the norm for when coaching a goalie, they stay on their line and leave it to defenders to defend?

It's because they usually get blocked off if they come too far off their line.

It's a usual tactic to put a player on the keeper to stop his movement, why do it for no reason?

A lot of opinions about Rudd's cupability over the goal. And I've grown to be a big admirer of the lad. I do think the ball was clipped across very skilfully, and I think few keepers would have come for it. The one thing I just noticed though.... watch Rudd's feet from the moment the corner is taken... for a full ten seconds, throughout the move where the ball comes out of the box and is played to Gelhardt... his feet are forever alert and active. On his toes. But JUST before Gelhardt crosses, Rudd plants his feet... and as he a result, he didn't have an option to come. Once he wasn't on his toes, he had zero chance of challenging successfully for the ball.

My guess is that he'd agree that was a technical error - and to guess further, I'd say that he'd been 'bouncing' on his toes for that long that he mentally switched off for a moment when Gelhardt's first attempted cross was blocked. But I suspect that even if he'd been on his toes, the clever ball would have still been out of reach... although we can't be certain. Anyway... as it was, as others pointed out, he was done for when Moore completely messed up his attempt to turn it in which meant Rudd's weight had to go the wrong way.

Let's choose to ignore Rudd's match saving parry early in the first half.
Remarkably(?) myopic critics completely missed it.

Not missed a game Rudd sf, in top 5 performers of the season imo. Don't disagree especially on aggression, Dec is literally working his spuds off for north end 👍🏻
I like a keeper who dominates is are as he did. I will remember him racing out of his area at Reading for a 50/50 ball and laying out the ginger ninja. No booking either!

"Match saving" 🤨

Obviously don't have much faith in our ability to get back into games.

When we’ve conceded the first goal away from home this season, we’ve only scored 1 goal all season, so there’s not that much faith for us to get back into games. That save though, was one that I would expect Rudd to make.

When we’ve conceded the first goal away from home this season, we’ve only scored 1 goal all season, so there’s not that much faith for us to get back into games. That save though, was one that I would expect Rudd to make.

Their player hit it round the side of one of our defenders and so Rudd was partially unsighted which means he had to react quickly which he did. Anyhow hopefully whatever lessons need to be learned from the goal conceded will be. Another match on Wednesday - let's start thinking about that.

When we’ve conceded the first goal away from home this season, we’ve only scored 1 goal all season, so there’s not that much faith for us to get back into games.
Yeah, but I was under the impression we are now an aspiring top 6 side.

We're certainly going to have to be better than "first goal wins" to remain a top 6 side.

If every time Rudd makes a routine save in an away game it's "match saving", I'd suggest that's the hallmark of a mid-table side.

That save though, was one that I would expect Rudd to make.
I completely agree.

Yeah, but I was under the impression we are now an aspiring top 6 side.

We're certainly going to have to be better than "first goal wins" to remain a top 6 side.

If every time Rudd makes a routine save in an away game it's "match saving", I'd suggest that's the hallmark of a mid-table side.

I completely agree.

Lots of other top 6 sides rely on scoring first a bit like us. The thing we have to do is score the first goal more often.😉