PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Is anyone else not missing the footy?

Are you missing the footy?

• Total voters
If, and it's a big, unlikely if, the season got up and running again by late June/early July, this break from footy will have only been similar in length to the usual summer break we have from footy anyway. I think the main issue at the moment is, there is no footy to go to, it's been taken away from us, rather than someone making a decision not to go to it. The decision has been made for us and there's nowt we can do about it. I hadn't been going on as much for various reasons, got out of the habit, and hadn't really missed it tbh, especially as the matches I cherry picked were absolutely dire and after almost every one I came home wishing I hadn't bothered. But I appreciate it must be a nightmare for younger folk - I'd have been tearing my hair out with no footy to go to in my teens to about thirties.

I wasnt in anyway mis representing your OP JD.

I was purely giving some ratniale to my answer and why I didn't select one of your options.

Am I missing North End -Yes
Does it really matter to me -No

Just my opinion not a dig at anyone

Last edited by a moderator:
I miss it, not so much the football side just the social bit. I know everyone round me on the ground as I've sat there that long and look forward to seeing everyone again when this is over.

After more than 60 years I have surprised myself that I am not missing it.
I have already missed 5 home games this season and haven’t been to an away game.
Even though we have been well placed this season for several reasons I felt I wouldn’t renew my season ticket next season and this virus just feels like the last straw.

Still, every cloud has a silver lining, as one of them old farts who takes up a premium seat on row 22 right behind the goals on the Town End and can no longer sing and shout for the 90 minutes it will leave the seat open for someone who is just setting out on their PNE journey. ;)😂

I rather fancy that if we had won our last three to five games before the enforced delay in proceedings and were in third place a couple of points behind Leeds, people may have missed it more.
As it is, the pre-lockdown form and results has probably dampened down the expectation levels thus affecting how much we miss it, at least that is what I think has happened to me. Having thought about this for the first time........I will now fill in the survey.

After more than 60 years I have surprised myself that I am not missing it.
I have already missed 5 home games this season and haven’t been to an away game.
Even though we have been well placed this season for several reasons I felt I wouldn’t renew my season ticket next season and this virus just feels like the last straw.

Still, every cloud has a silver lining, as one of them old farts who takes up a premium seat on row 22 right behind the goals on the Town End and can no longer sing and shout for the 90 minutes it will leave the seat open for someone who is just setting out on their PNE journey. ;)😂

It’s an interesting aspect of the whole situation.

Once you’ve broken the habit, do you go back?

That could equally to the footy, your favourite restaurant or some of the fake friends you acquire just cos you happen to be starting a family at the same time.

I don’t for one moment regret going to as many away matches as I possibly could between 1996 and 2016, but watching a lot of rugby since then has taken me to different places where I’ve met a lot of different people. And I’ve really enjoyed it.

I think life is about experiencing as much as you possibly can and there’s a big change in store for me when we move to NI, assuming EasyJet starts flying there again!

Think I may start watching some camogie....

How are you doing Tino... is work keeping you busy ??

They sure are mate, no change really though I’m quite fortunate I can 99% of my job remotely anyway. Plus I have a 1 yo to sort and a 4 and 7 year old to set a bit of work for as well.

How about you?

Referring to my all time favourite quote,
“For when the One Great Scorer comes
To mark against your name,
He writes - not that you won or lost -
But HOW you played the Game.
I'm watching 'football' to see how they are playing this one. For me Spurs are bottom of the league.

JD, I have no problem with your OP and I know you asked the question in good faith. This is a footy forum to discuss all things football and in particular PNE. What is happening outside of football is devastating and it will effect every single person in one way or another, but I don’t think anyone should be questioned for raising a reasonable football question On here. We could all be criticised for posting about football when there are more important things happening around us.

in answer to the OP, I am missing football very much, but it also brings home the reality, that it isn’t important. The wages of footballers has completely got out of hand, and when you compare their wages with the front line care and rescue services it has highlighted that even further.

I don’t think football will ever be the same again. All clubs will already have lost staunch supporters and lots of others won’t go back for various reasons. This pandemic has got the majority of people paranoid in one way or another. People have got into this social distancing and some will never be able mingle in crowds again. Imo, the season is finished. There is no way on earth football is likely to resume at the end of this month, and I have no interest whatsoever about the season being completed behind closed doors. We often say it’s the hope that kills you, but all we can do at the moment is live in hope that this horrible virus comes to an end very soon.

it will be interesting to see how Clubs approach/treat their fans in the future.

I really enjoy this forum and have made some great friends as a result of it, but my main message to everyone is stay safe.

JD, I have no problem with your OP and I know you asked the question in good faith. This is a footy forum to discuss all things football and in particular PNE. What is happening outside of football is devastating and it will effect every single person in one way or another, but I don’t think anyone should be questioned for raising a reasonable football question On here. We could all be criticised for posting about football when there are more important things happening around us.

in answer to the OP, I am missing football very much, but it also brings home the reality, that it isn’t important. The wages of footballers has completely got out of hand, and when you compare their wages with the front line care and rescue services it has highlighted that even further.

I don’t think football will ever be the same again. All clubs will already have lost staunch supporters and lots of others won’t go back for various reasons. This pandemic has got the majority of people paranoid in one way or another. People have got into this social distancing and some will never be able mingle in crowds again. Imo, the season is finished. There is no way on earth football is likely to resume at the end of this month, and I have no interest whatsoever about the season being completed behind closed doors. We often say it’s the hope that kills you, but all we can do at the moment is live in hope that this horrible virus comes to an end very soon.

it will be interesting to see how Clubs approach/treat their fans in the future.

I really enjoy this forum and have made some great friends as a result of it, but my main message to everyone is stay safe.
Fantastic post and it echos my own thoughts.

They sure are mate, no change really though I’m quite fortunate I can 99% of my job remotely anyway. Plus I have a 1 yo to sort and a 4 and 7 year old to set a bit of work for as well.

How about you?
Yeah, it’s business as usual - in fact, it feels far more intense than being in the office !!

at the end of the day, we are lucky - if we have a laptop and a mobile phone we can carry on as normal.

Not missing football in general but missing going on the North End.

This for me , the "day " the "ritual slaughter of a chicken" , "prepping same clothes if we won last match" " the chat with the son and mates" "a proper shit pint on the ground" "wondering if the forum will be happy or meltdown"

We win = Get the red wine open I love everyone and want to hug
We lose = Get the larger out and try to find a fight in an empty room ( cries like a baby)

Tbh, I'm probably going to miss not being able to watch the Tour de France, world snooker, cricket and Wimbledon more than going on PNE over the coming weeks.

Tbh, I'm probably going to miss not being able to watch the Tour de France, world snooker, cricket and Wimbledon more than going on PNE over the coming weeks.

Fair comment that Harry , bet alot of others on here are the same if your into sport you tend to follow more than one. Tour de France on Euro Sport the four-hour continuous commentary by that guy :oops: he needs a medal for that