PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Freddie Flintoff 4th Child......

What a great line up that Lanky side was in the early 70’s - Wood, Lloyd, Pilling, Lloyd, Sullivan, Engineer, Bond, Hughes, Simmons, Shuttleworth and Lever....
A couple of years later , Peter Lee joined the bowling attack and Frank Hayes joined the batting....

What a great line up that Lanky side was in the early 70’s - Wood, Lloyd, Pilling, Lloyd, Sullivan, Engineer, Bond, Hughes, Simmons, Shuttleworth and Lever....
I used to love watching those one day cup games with that side.
The only one I think you missed out Ando was my favourite - Frank Hayes.
Oops , just seen your later post.

A couple of years later , Peter Lee joined the bowling attack and Frank Hayes joined the batting....
Hayes ended up being pushed out of the side in his later career by a rising young talent and another one of my favourite batsmen - Graeme Foxy Fowler. Try getting hold of Fowler's book, Ando - 'Fox on the run'. Fabulous read.

Hayes was from Preston and scored a century on his Test debut against The West Indies.
Bob Ratcliffe, Bernard Reidy, Andrew Kennedy......
I used to think Ratcliffe and Reidy were shit, not as bad as Joe Scuderi though. Kennedy, started off well but seemed to lose his way.

I used to be able to turn it square off about three paces.

After Bob Ratcliffe’s coaching, I was unable to turn it at all off about nine.

I never was a very good learner.

Hayes ended up being pushed out of the side in his later career by a rising young talent and another one of my favourite batsmen - Graeme Foxy Fowler. Try getting hold of Fowler's book, Ando - 'Fox on the run'. Fabulous read.
I will , cheers Harry....

When I played down in Essex, John Lever used to play in our league. He must have been in his 50s or 60s but you still couldn't see the ball quick enough to get your bat down on it.

I was on the same table as JK Lever and Ray East at a League dinner in 2018.

Decent blokes. That Essex team enjoyed their cricket, as well as being pretty good at it.

I was sat next to Ronnie Irani last year. It was a god laugh.

I used to think Ratcliffe and Reidy were shit, not as bad as Joe Scuderi though. Kennedy, started off well but seemed to lose his way.
I don’t remember Scuderi which is quite frightening.... I have been supporting Lanky for about 50 years and thought that I knew everything about them.........

I was on the same table as JK Lever and Ray East at a League dinner in 2018.

Decent blokes. That Essex team enjoyed their cricket, as well as being pretty good at it.

I was sat next to Ronnie Irani last year. It was a god laugh.
Nice one.

I don’t remember Scuderi which is quite frightening.... I have been supporting Lanky for about 50 years and thought that I knew everything about them.........
Remember that chippy near the cricket ground that served the 'Jack Simmonds special' - just about everything you could fit n a tray with peas and gravy!

You know what, people talk about missing football , but I am gonna massively miss cricket far more than football...

I go to watch live cricket about 5 or 6 times a summer and I am going to miss it .... I don’t think that we will see any more cricket until summer 2021.....

I think you're right, he was supposedly an all rounder. I think he was around early 2000s, played mainly one day games.

Yep, it’s amazing what the memory can turn up!

Google additionally confirms that he was the coach of Italy for quite a long time and he now plays the drums for four bands and still lives in Lancs.

Wasn’t he an Aussie who ended up playing league cricket? Scuderi I mean.
Joe first came to the UK as a young guy in 1986 as our club pro for the season and I don't think he's been back to Aus since. Didn't do much for us but was a great guy with an incredible mullet. I introduced him to Raiders

He came over with another young Aussie who Blackpool had signed. Name escapes me but played Test Cricket. Off spinner from memory. Joe went on to become something of a Lancashire League legend at somewhere like Haslingden. Lots of runs and wickets.

We ditched the promising young Aussie route and signed Javed Miandad for the following 2 seasons. Strange fella