PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

This corona virus thing...AKA...pictures of favourite places

Nowhere exotic, Ando - grew up in and around Morecambe and Lancaster, and have family in Silverdale.

That's why I never spent much time down your way. If I wanted a day out, it was easier to hop on a bus or train and go to the Lake District.
Silverdales not too shabby either.

I’ve been to Westport but climbing up that bloody big hill looked like hard work. The view from the top looks incredible though,
It's a steep climb and rough underfoot. The faithful climb it on Reek Sunday which is the last Sunday in July. The exceptionally religious do it barefoot, some in the dark! There's a chapel at the top where they have a mass that Sunday. I climbed it a couple of times (out of interest rather than religious fervour). The view is staggering. The first time I climbed it, by the time I got to the top the cloud had descended and I could see the square root of sweet FA. The second time was clear as a bell. One time flying to Boston from LHR we flew right over Clew Bay and you could see every island from 30,000 feet. You also get a good view of Croagh Patrick as you come into land @ Knock

It truly is a very special place.

Nowhere exotic, Ando - grew up in and around Morecambe and Lancaster, and have family in Silverdale.

That's why I never spent much time down your way. If I wanted a day out, it was easier to hop on a bus or train and go to the Lake District.
My hubby And some of his mates used to camp out in silverdale Small forest many moons ago back in the 70s

Silverdales not too shabby either.
It is - love it there. Spent many summers, as a kid, working with my granddad on the farm or cutting turf. Jenny Brown's Point is one of my favourite places in the world:

Chimney_near_Browns_Houses_-_geograph.org.uk_-_952458.jpg

By Tom Richardson, CC BY-SA 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=9481987

Volunteered at Leighton Moss for a year, too, and loved it.

geograph-5688696-by-Ian-Taylor.jpg

I visited Mayo and realised that Father Ted is actually a documentary :D

Lovely part of the world and very nice people - not as good as Cork, though!

The irish word culchie (coillte) which they use to describe bumpkins, comes from the place name Kiltimagh (Coillte Mach) in Mayo which is Hicksville. Craggy Island is in Co Clare!!