PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Can we seriously challenge for top 6?

In his only full season at the club we had 11 0-0’s and think we only scored more than one at home in a game until we thrashed Hull 3-0 in k November. That was our first home win of the season.
Turned a lot of so called big clubs over under Billy, watched some great away victories at the likes of West Ham. We feared nobody and he had the players believing in themselves a bit like the old Wimbledon.

Turned a lot of so called big clubs over under Billy, watched some great away victories at the likes of West Ham. We feared nobody and he had the players believing in themselves a bit like the old Wimbledon.
Loved King Billy but we didn't play attractive footy. Some home games were as bad as that Coventry game.

Leaving Upton Park was quite scary after that game, we did them over, massive punch up in the tunnel. It was very much PNE v everyone else and as others have said we went into every game confident we would win.

Shame we didn't turn up when it mattered against them in the play off final.

Billy Davies did a really good job but sadly started to believe his own hype and ultimately acted like a tool.

That team should have won promotion.

Leaving Upton Park was quite scary after that game, we did them over, massive punch up in the tunnel. It was very much PNE v everyone else and as others have said we went into every game confident we would win.

Shame we didn't turn up when it mattered against them in the play off final.

Billy Davies did a really good job but sadly started to believe his own hype and ultimately acted like a tool.

That team should have won promotion.
My lad Alex was a mascot when we played Billy's forrest side in the cup a few years back and he couldn't do enough. Plenty of photos and had a long chat with both mascots pre match. Funnily enough the game was on tv and one of the pundits was David James who played in the West Ham game. My lad wore the goalkeeping kit and walked on with Declan Rudd in his first spell with the club. James noted this and went out of his way to talk with Alex offering advice, later he even put the microphone down pich side and came over to say goodbye as we walked past on our way out. Always thought he was a bit of an arse but got to say he was absolutely top drawer.

My lad Alex was a mascot when we played Billy's forrest side in the cup a few years back and he couldn't do enough. Plenty of photos and had a long chat with both mascots pre match. Funnily enough the game was on tv and one of the pundits was David James who played in the West Ham game. My lad wore the goalkeeping kit and walked on with Declan Rudd in his first spell with the club. James noted this and went out of his way to talk with Alex offering advice, later he even put the microphone down pich side and came over to say goodbye as we walked past on our way out. Always thought he was a bit of an arse but got to say he was absolutely top drawer.
Nice story. David James always struck me as a proper gent tbh. Glad it’s been confirmed.

Edgy and Beckham have both missed out, but Lewis Hamilton has got a knighthood for driving a car and avoiding paying his taxes.....
Apparently, Boris Johnson personally intervened here, demanding Hamilton's tax situation be ignored and that he be rewarded for 'diplomatic and sporting' achievement.

Loved King Billy but we didn't play attractive footy. Some home games were as bad as that Coventry game.

We had some great goal scorer, Fuller, Healey, Cresswell, Agyemang, Nugent (mark 1), Dichio and Ormerod, you don’t play unattractive football with guys like that in the team.

Finished both seasons in the play-offs, one in the final, I would take that for the next two seasons, if we were to win the final this time I would maybe concede in favour of Alex Neil, well maybe.

Fuller was long gone. The football was defensive and grindy. Nugent's signing was a mercy and he was so beloved because he was a bright spark in that team.

It was certainly build from the back but then the quality of the defenders was unbelievable in those times, Mawene, Lucketti and Davis as the main 3 cbs was ridiculously good and massive strength in depth at full back aswell.

Grezza was still around and in 05/06 he played a good chunk of that at LB given Mears have broken through and tied up RB position. Hill had also come in midway through 04/05 and done very well so much so Calum Davidson was just a backup player on the bench in those days who'd fill in more on left of midfield.

Add in Nash solving the keeper weakness and McKenna being excellent DM and it was easily one of the strongest back 6s at the time so could fully understand why Davies would play for clean sheets as he knew the defence was good enough and there was always chance of Nugent scoring or Grezza penalty at the other.

Big shame for me is it all came together in 05-06 but that was the season Reading got something stupid like 105 points and it also came together for Sheffield United after years of underachieving in the league so top 2 was never a serious possibility compared to the following season where a much weaker first 11 and manager were up there for 3/4 of the season.

Fuller was long gone. The football was defensive and grindy. Nugent's signing was a mercy and he was so beloved because he was a bright spark in that team.
Winning football and the best era in my 45 yrs watching the club. This was part of that 9yr unbeaten midweek match home record. Remember being behind many times at halt time but you just new that a half time chat from Billy and we'd turn it around and we always did no matter who we were playing. I've no doubt that team with Davis as manager would walk this league. You only have to look at the present league table, we've lost ten games and yet are still near the play offs with less than half a season played.

Interesting.... my lad was our mascot at Forest about a decade ago (the late Billy jones equaliser game) and Billy had no time for anyone. The mascot supervisor was a nervous wreck pitchside about what we were NOT allowed to do. this included not allowed to touch the grass; sit on the bench; talk to the players...... We knew Billy & Kenna fairly well from our times at Springies etc but we werent allowed to ask Kenna for even a smile.

John McGovern the 'host in the bar' was very approachable and couldnt do enough,(especially when my daughter asked him if he'd ever met Brian Clough!!)... but pitch side it was a different story - fear reigned !!! not that it stopped us sitting in the dug out for a picture !!

Interesting.... my lad was our mascot at Forest about a decade ago (the late Billy jones equaliser game) and Billy had no time for anyone. The mascot supervisor was a nervous wreck pitchside about what we were NOT allowed to do. this included not allowed to touch the grass; sit on the bench; talk to the players...... We knew Billy & Kenna fairly well from our times at Springies etc but we werent allowed to ask Kenna for even a smile.

John McGovern the 'host in the bar' was very approachable and couldnt do enough,(especially when my daughter asked him if he'd ever met Brian Clough!!)... but pitch side it was a different story - fear reigned !!! not that it stopped us sitting in the dug out for a picture !!
my daughter should have been mascot but Forest wouldnt let a girl do it.

Big shame for me is it all came together in 05-06 but that was the season Reading got something stupid like 105 points and it also came together for Sheffield United after years of underachieving in the league so top 2 was never a serious possibility compared to the following season where a much weaker first 11 and manager were up there for 3/4 of the season.
Lost 6 league games all season, only Chelsea, Man Utd and Reading lost fewer in the country that year. We were formidable and should have gone up.

We had some great goal scorer, Fuller, Healey, Cresswell, Agyemang, Nugent (mark 1), Dichio and Ormerod, you don’t play unattractive football with guys like that in the team.

Finished both seasons in the play-offs, one in the final, I would take that for the next two seasons, if we were to win the final this time I would maybe concede in favour of Alex Neil, well maybe.

I think you contradict yourself a bit yourself here. Nugent had 11 goals that second season (he was injured for 6 weeks though), agyemang had 6, ormerod had 4, dichio 0. Surely a side that play attractive football would ensure the strikers had more goals.

We only scored more than 2 goals in a league game 6 times. Don’t get me wrong Davies made us very hard to beat but with arguably the best squad we’ve had at this level we was very boring. To put things into perspective we scored three or more goals 8 times last season and 9 times the season before under boring and dour Neil.

Billy Davies was our best manager for us at this level but those who think is football was sensational are kidding themselves. It wasn’t attacking, it was built on the defence which is why we was so successful.

Nugent & Lewis etc provided moments of quality, genuine class that Neil doesn't really have but it was mainly defend first football. Probably my favourite period supporting the club but we could definitely win ugly, especially away.

Nugent was obviously a good goalscorer under Davies and Cresswell was for one season, but Agyemang/Dichio/Ormerod weren't exactly good goalscorers.

They were hard-workers who offered a lot for the team and their hard work probably enabled the likes of Nugent to get the goals, but their goalscoring records certainly weren't what you'd call "great".

Winning football and the best era in my 45 yrs watching the club. This was part of that 9yr unbeaten midweek match home record. Remember being behind many times at halt time but you just new that a half time chat from Billy and we'd turn it around and we always did no matter who we were playing. I've no doubt that team with Davis as manager would walk this league. You only have to look at the present league table, we've lost ten games and yet are still near the play offs with less than half a season played.
We’ve also won 10 games. Only four teams have won more, three of them only one more.