PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Podcast

Analytics are shit.

Is that abuse or is it just my opinion? I am talking about the genre, not the person as I find this stuff both boring and tedious. Each to their own. All of this "XGx2" rubbish when the only real stat of concern is the ball being put into the bloody net!

People give out far far more abuse to players up and down the country, even you yourself do this Ron.

Now behave.
You really haven't a clue what you're talking about.

You really haven't a clue what you're even talking about.
Jimmy, I tried and it bores me to tears.

Bottom line, some people want smoke blown up their arses.

I'm rather glad that I "don't have a clue" as it saves me the severe boredom of reading and analysing this tripe.

My opinion only.

You have to understand that this "XGx2" stuff isn't for everyone and trying to force it down peoples throats isn't a good look. Accept that some people who don't like it "do have a clue" despite not reading from the page that you read.

Peace.

I meant about the grief a 22 year old has been getting from various segments and your complete dismissal of it.

If you're not interested in stats, that's fine by me. Simply scroll past them
Jimmy, I don't have Twitter - as you're possibly aware - so I cannot comment on that.

As for on here, I haven't seen (personally) anything regards personal grief on here towards Oli but had there been so, then the Report Button needs to used to alert us as believe it or not - and you're a former Mod so should know the script - it is impossible to read every single post.

Saying that I don't like analytics isn't a personal attack, it is the whole genre that I don't like, just like I don't like American Football.

Lastly, if one puts themselves into both the public eye and domain, then as sure as day follows night, you are going to receive joy as well as criticism. That's the gig in life I am afraid unless it becomes darkly personal which is obviously deplorable.

I like to think you know me well enough not to get personal, especially with someone I don't even know. That is the domain that Twitter sadly works in.

Like I say, highlight this grief and then we can view it on a case by case basis.

One final thing, the actual Podcast chat, when I have had time to listen, is decent. Good to hear differing views in another outlet.

Lastly, if one puts themselves into both the public eye and domain, then as sure as day follows night, you are going to receive joy as well as criticism. That's the gig in life I am afraid unless it becomes darkly personal which is obviously deplorable.
And that's what Ron was getting at before it was derailed into how you weren't a fan of analytics.

It's not just on here, it's other mediums as well, both directly and indirectly.

Given this forum has a section to aid others on Mental Health and given the current state of society/World, we should probably aim to be a little kinder to each other rather than belittle, snipe or take aim at others simply because they see the world in a different way. Never has the world being so judgmental of others opinions or views when they differ to their own.

The old phrase about "walking a mile in someone else's shoes" before passing judgement wouldn't go amiss.

Now if we can celebrate having 100,000 listens of the podcast that would be great! Nice one for all the positive feedback 👍

And that's what Ron was getting at before it was derailed into how you weren't a fan of analytics.

It's not just on here, it's other mediums as well, both directly and indirectly.

Given this forum has a section to aid others on Mental Health and given the current state of society/World, we should probably aim to be a little kinder to each other rather than belittle, snipe or take aim at others simply because they see the world in a different way. Never has the world being so judgmental of others opinions or views when they differ to their own.

The old phrase about "walking a mile in someone else's shoes" before passing judgement wouldn't go amiss.

Now if we can celebrate having 100,000 listens of the podcast that would be great! Nice one for all the positive feedback 👍
Sadly, I am not on these other mediums (Twitter). Twitter is full of numpties which is why I avoid it unless I am seeking out something specific (PNE, Boxing).

Are you saying that people are not allowed to disagree with a subject? To myself, this is the crux of the matter.

For the record, I read a piece the once, decided it wasn't for myself and I left it at that, no comment, no feedback.

Just a quick note on this Jimmy.

As I am sure you are aware the mod team have made contact with both your colleagues to discuss this. It was also requested we did not publish what we spoke about which we have respected.

I do feel though I need to respond on terms of your conversation with JD.

Any personal abuse aimed at anyone who is putting PNE content out in the world is unacceptable. We do not feel we have allowed any direct personal abuse towards anyone at FTF whilst accepting that some feedback may be critical the vast majority has been very positive. The forum has been a great supporter in promoting the pod since day one and I have personally found some of the public comments directly singling out the forum, especially in relation to Mental Health harsh. I like to think you know me well enough to know my feelings on the subject.

During my time with PSG and being involved in this site I've been called every name under the son by people who don't agree with what I was involved in, christ someone even tried to hijack Gentry Day to many folks amusement. Its just the way the Internet is and sometime I just had to take a step back.

If any user feels there is personal abuse or unacceptable posting then please report it and we will look at it. We would never want to lead the debate or direct people to what view they should have. As an example one mod loves the stats you talk about and that part of the game, another clearly doesn't.

You will also have noticed the forum conduct post i put up last week.

Anyway, well done on the 100,000 downloads its a great achievement.

Last edited:

Congratulations on getting 100k downloads Jimmy - you and the rest of the boys have done a great job in producing something from the ground up, getting professional partnerships, and gaining access to high value guests. 👏👏👏

I have been a lurker for a a while but have watched this debate unfold on twitter yesterday and now on here today.

I have posted anonymously in the Mental Health section and found everyone to be kind and respectful. Since the lockdown this forum has been my only real "escape" from the norm and keeping me in contact with the PNE Community and just felt someone needed to stick up for the team behind it.

I have listened to the podcast and it's clear you are all passionate North End fans but very much a different generation to myself so there are areas I prefer to listen to than others. In the same way visiting the off topic areas of the the forum wouldn't do me any good, so I avoid them.

You also give as good as you get, I remember one of you basically telling anyone that didn't support Alex Neil to should we say "go away". I have also seen a few retweets from the FTF account via (is it Jake) I don't pay enough attention being very critical of the forum or anyone in fact who doesn't share the same views particularly around the manager.

If there have been personal attacks on this thread that is uncalled for, although I must have missed them. The only horrible stuff I have seen recently was about our new centre forward which seems to have disappeared completely which is a good thing.

In short well done FTF in giving folk things to listen too and well done to the team at the forum for keeping me sane during these horrible times.

Just to add to what I mentioned previously.

Everybody had their opinion on the beautiful game, you have people who subscribe to the theories of xG and stats and then others who love the cliches of getting stuck in or simply put the ball in the back of the net. Both approaches can be warranted and are the posters own personal preference, nothing wrong with either in my eyes it’s part of the varied and structured debate and should openly be accepted.

What I was getting at was the abuse Oli had received due to his own personal stance on the game that was very over the top, unwarranted and is some cases down right disgusting. If you disagree with his view on things don’t engage and just be accepting of someone else’s opinion, there’s simply no need to resort to abuse which is what was happening.

That abuse can and was taking many different forms which was disgusting when if you look at who Oli is, he is simply a lad passionately discussing openly his take on football and trying to better himself and others view on the game.

Fair play to the lad, some people need to take a hard look at themselves for their conduct, especially in the current climate.

Up the whites and up the from the finney podcast.

What I was getting at was the abuse Oli had received due to his own personal stance on the game that was very over the top, unwarranted and is some cases down right disgusting. If you disagree with his view on things don’t engage and just be accepting of someone else’s opinion, there’s simply no need to resort to abuse which is what was happening.

That abuse can and was taking many different forms which was disgusting when if you look at who Oli is, he is simply a lad passionately discussing openly his take on football and trying to better himself and others view on the game.
This exactly Ron. Thank you for putting it in words are lot better than I could myself. That's what I'm getting at, all abuse is wrong - especially in the current climate. But the belittling, sly digs and trying to put someone down because of their views is categorically wrong.

There's people on here that have been guilty of that both on here and other platforms, just think of the impact that it might have on the other person before you post. What might be acceptable in your view, might not be to a wider audience.

And big thanks @TheFulwoodEnd and @nomorebigideas too, believe me it's kept me sane and just glad it's going fairly well currently but big few weeks ahead👍

Just to add to what I mentioned previously.

Everybody had their opinion on the beautiful game, you have people who subscribe to the theories of xG and stats and then others who love the cliches of getting stuck in or simply put the ball in the back of the net. Both approaches can be warranted and are the posters own personal preference, nothing wrong with either in my eyes it’s part of the varied and structured debate and should openly be accepted.

Fair play to the lad, some people need to take a hard look at themselves for their conduct, especially in the current climate.

Up the whites and up the from the finney podcast.
I dont think anyone really disagrees with anything there Ron. I'm a huge advocate of the analytical side of the game and have probably been one of Oli's biggest fans on here.

I've seen some of the abuse he gets on Twitter and it is massively over the top. The comments he gets on here in the main aren't what I would class as abuse they are just people disagreeing with him and because he is the one pushing the analytics the comments get aimed at him.

Unfortunately when you are brave enough to put yourself out there people are always going to disagree and you have to be prepared to accept that as well as the compliments.

As JK has said if anyone sees anything they think has crossed the line the easiest thing to do is report it or sent one of the mods a private message. We all have our own personalities and it if you don't tend to agree with one of us I'm sure you will feel comfortable approaching one of the others and that goes for all areas of the forum.

I don't really care about the stats, formations and patterns of play I like a lot.

Have an argument, pose a position, back it up with statistical evidence and face the wrath of furious nobbers 😂

Insane

I have been a bit bemused reading these last few posts, I am anti stats myself but more than that I am anti abuse but unless I have missed it I can’t say I have seen any, is there any examples?

This exactly Ron. Thank you for putting it in words are lot better than I could myself. That's what I'm getting at, all abuse is wrong - especially in the current climate. But the belittling, sly digs and trying to put someone down because of their views is categorically wrong.

There's people on here that have been guilty of that both on here and other platforms, just think of the impact that it might have on the other person before you post. What might be acceptable in your view, might not be to a wider audience.

And big thanks @TheFulwoodEnd and @nomorebigideas too, believe me it's kept me sane and just glad it's going fairly well currently but big few weeks ahead👍
I agree with you particularly on your second point there - think of the impact it might have on the other person. There's some language and insults used on here, and other platforms that is just not necessary.

Maybe the podcast can do some good here, and encourage different views and debate, rather than being dismissive of others opinions. As @TheFulwoodEnd points out - you can be quite disparaging of other peoples opinions yourselves.

That being said I enjoy the pod. Good to hear some insights, not only in terms of tactics and players but also in how the club is operating and clearly the club want to work with you.

Here's to another 100,00!

I dont think anyone really disagrees with anything there Ron. I'm a huge advocate of the analytical side of the game and have probably been one of Oli's biggest fans on here.

I've seen some of the abuse he gets on Twitter and it is massively over the top. The comments he gets on here in the main aren't what I would class as abuse they are just people disagreeing with him and because he is the one pushing the analytics the comments get aimed at him.

Unfortunately when you are brave enough to put yourself out there people are always going to disagree and you have to be prepared to accept that as well as the compliments.

As JK has said if anyone sees anything they think has crossed the line the easiest thing to do is report it or sent one of the mods a private message. We all have our own personalities and it if you don't tend to agree with one of us I'm sure you will feel comfortable approaching one of the others and that goes for all areas of the forum.
Fully agree with all of this. The lad is clearly a very talented statistical analyst and will no doubt go very far in the media with this or even at a football club itself. Whether you agree of disagree with stats they are a part of the ever changing landscape of football and clubs are putting a lot of time, money and effort into analytics.

As you've touched on though, part of being successful and being part of the 'change' is dealing with critics. I've seen fair criticism of stats in general which I can totally understand, we all see the game differently. I've seen bits of bats of petty grief on Twitter which should either be ignored or brushed off. I haven't actually seen personal and direct abuse that has crossed the line, although that said I haven't seen Oli's inbox and it wouldn't surprise me given the idiots that are free to roam Twitter.

Oli just needs to keep on doing what he's doing for as long as he enjoys doing it. There will always be critics, you can't please everyone. One thing I would suggest though is that he keeps his personal and political views aside from his football analysis. I follow him for his insightful postings on systems and formations not his anti-Tory, pro-Corbyn agenda, I can follow Owen Jones for that if I wanted to see it.

Fully agree with all of this. The lad is clearly a very talented statistical analyst and will no doubt go very far in the media with this or even at a football club itself. Whether you agree of disagree with stats they are a part of the ever changing landscape of football and clubs are putting a lot of time, money and effort into analytics.

As you've touched on though, part of being successful and being part of the 'change' is dealing with critics. I've seen fair criticism of stats in general which I can totally understand, we all see the game differently. I've seen bits of bats of petty grief on Twitter which should either be ignored or brushed off. I haven't actually seen personal and direct abuse that has crossed the line, although that said I haven't seen Oli's inbox and it wouldn't surprise me given the idiots that are free to roam Twitter.

Oli just needs to keep on doing what he's doing for as long as he enjoys doing it. There will always be critics, you can't please everyone. One thing I would suggest though is that he keeps his personal and political views aside from his football analysis. I follow him for his insightful postings on systems and formations not his anti-Tory, pro-Corbyn agenda, I can follow Owen Jones for that if I wanted to see it.

Completely agree, especially with the last part about political views, however, I think that’s why he setup his roaming 8’s account, to differentiate.

As Ron says, Oli has the separate account @roaming_eights for football analysis only.

Probably best to unfollow his personal account and follow that if his personal content is a problem for you.