PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Podcast

Completely agree, especially with the last part about political views, however, I think that’s why he setup his roaming 8’s account, to differentiate.

As Ron says, Oli has the separate account @roaming_eights for football analysis only.

Probably best to unfollow his personal account and follow that if his personal content is a problem for you.
Fair shout. I didn't realise he'd completely separated the two for that reason, thought Roaming Eights was something additional/separate. Sensible decision and good luck to him moving forward.

Thank you, all.

Well deserved achievement guys - just shows how much good work you have done since the podcast has launched. Keep up the efforts @FTF @baysidepne

I had a listen to the episode today - good job :) I like the insights and the debate on the the game against Bristol and the transfers. Oli has a really good article on Bristol's tactical shape explaining things using simple graphics and words which helps understand how they did a job on us.

I think Harrop needs to go out on loan - I was shocked to hear he has only played 95 games at 25 years old - what baffles me is why would PNE sign a contract for a player who is not in the managers' plans? Perhaps one for a article or podcast is which "exciting" player should we sign - it was mentioned how we need someone to get us off our feet and dazzle on the pitch but who would fit the bill?

A lot of chatter about outgoings which is interesting - but nothing about renewals to players who expire in 2022 which will need to be looked at perhaps post January? We should learn from the mistakes we have made recently and be proactive in churning players or renewing ones we want to keep. Who should we look to renew from those due in 2022 might be an interesting podcast discussion in a future podcast? A list below is based on the players listed on the transfer overview :

GK: Matthew Hudson (Contracted to June 2022)
GK: Connor Ripley (Contracted to June 2022)
DF: Paul Huntington (New Contract to June 2022)
DF: Jordan Storey (Contracted to June 2022)
DF: Joe Rafferty (Contracted to June 2022)
DF: Patrick Bauer (Contracted to June 2022)
DF: Andrew Hughes (Contracted to June 2022)
MF: Jack Baxter (Contracted to June 2022)
MF/FW: Tom Barkhuizen (Contracted to June 2022)
MF/FW: Brad Potts (Contracted to June 2022)
MF/FW: Scott Sinclair (Contracted to June 2022)
MF/FW: Ethan Walker (Contracted to June 2022)
FW: Jayden Stockley (Contracted to June 2022)

I meant about the grief a 22 year old has been getting from various segments and your complete dismissal of it.

If you're not interested in stats, that's fine by me. Simply scroll past them
You too like your analytics and don't get any stick. I assume it's the way Oli comes across to some. Bright lad but perhaps it's his occasionally condescending demeanour that annoys folk. Wish him all the best and like you I have no doubt he'll be working in the pro game soon.

Maybe the podcast can do some good here, and encourage different views and debate, rather than being dismissive of others opinions. As @TheFulwoodEnd points out - you can be quite disparaging of other peoples opinions yourselves.

I have noticed again this morning tweets of a very similar dismissive nature to anyone who doesn't agree which is disappointing given the comments made earlier in this thread.

However, in normal circumstances I would not have taken them as being dismissive but just a different viewpoint to what I believe. Yet it seems to come across to me some people are very much moaning about one thing whilst being unware they could be accused of the thing they are upset about.

Just because a viewpoint is stated on a podcast or from someone with a particular background does not invalidate someone less "qualified" to also pass comment and have a differing view.

As I have said earlier I much prefer to read than comment, I have a twitter account and never tweet and will now go back into the darkness but felt that there is clearly some hypocrisy taking place here that needed highlighting.

Again, well done to the podcast and well done to the forum but its worth remembering not one of us speaks for everyone and not one of us in an expert in anyone other than our own mind.

I have noticed again this morning tweets of a very similar dismissive nature to anyone who doesn't agree which is disappointing given the comments made earlier in this thread.
There's only me who has tweeted this morning (here if anyone's interested).

It's not dismissive in nature at all (in my opinion), it's actually a decent conversation between a staunch no-analysis person who's commenting on a piece on R8s, and me who finds it interesting. Definitely not hypocrisy in my eyes. Can still debate and have opinions without throwing in personal insults or jibes, otherwise what's the point?

Back to the grind but nice one for the messages of support. Be kind and play nice 👍

Just a heads up I heard there is another PNE Podcast in the pipeline.

"Scandinavian Preston Boys" which is hosted by a Finnish fan (not Scandinavian), a Norwegian ex-pat, a Swedish Doctor who supports PNE, and a Danish fellow who has not missed a game for 28 years, despite being a full time chef in a Copenhagen cafe. He is also a helicopter pilot.

Playing devils advocate is consistently calling one of our own players The Tree while deriding his performances abuse?

Which backs up the point I was making.

You can't on one hand call people to be nice and to consider others mental health whilst publicly humiliating one of the clubs players.

The Tree, is a review?
Bit of a difference having a light-hearted nickname of The Tree (the same player we all wished well on his move on this weeks podcast) and groups of what I can only describe as "vultures" telling a 22-year-old that, truth be told - no one personally knows - to "get a fucking life" on social media (amongst other things) for possessing a different outlook on football, do you not think?

I'm really riled by all this by the way. Completely overshadowed the achievement of 100k downloads yesterday and I find it deplorable that some are trying to justify the horrible, nasty behaviour of others.

If calling Stockley the Tree is now classed as abusive then I'm done. Seriously

Bit of a difference having a light-hearted nickname of The Tree (the same player we all wished well on his move on this weeks podcast) and groups of what I can only describe as "vultures" telling a 22-year-old that, truth be told - no one personally knows - to "get a fucking life" on social media (amongst other things) for possessing a different outlook on football, do you not think?

Fully agree Bayside its totally unacceptable.

I only got into this debate because I felt the stick the forum was being hit with was very unfair and I have found the support of the Mental Health Section brilliant, neither had I seen anything directly abusive towards your mate (who you rightly want to stick up for).

You have now stated it's on social media that the abuse has been aimed at Oli, which clears that up so apologises.

I don't think calling Stockley the tree is abusive.... I have called North End players over the years much much worse and mainly to their faces at Whitley Bay and Kiddiminster.

However you must appreciate to some it may be seen hypercritical when you are asking for politeness and kindness across the internet.

I really better get back into hibernation or I will end up spending half my life on here.

Like I say everyone needs to accept that we won't all agree.

Luke Chadwick used to get a bit of light hearted name calling in his playing days (hey he could take it he was at United and minted). Turns out it’s not always water off a ducks back. One mans light hearted name calling is another mans deep seated feelings of doubt once again rearing their head in the dead of night.

like I say. Just playing Devils advocate.

Theres no question that being told to “get a fucking life” is in any way acceptable by the way. One time is too many. FWIW I see a lot of positivity towards Olly’s output and opinions.

Which backs up the point I was making.

You can't on one hand call people to be nice and to consider others mental health whilst publicly humiliating one of the clubs players.
A football podcast is an appropriate venue for commenting on and reviewing a paid-for public sporting event, including the performance of the players and staff.

An inappropriate venue would be e.g. hitting up individuals with unsolicited critical comments on their personal social media accounts.

I'm really riled by all this by the way. Completely overshadowed the achievement of 100k downloads yesterday and I find it deplorable that some are trying to justify the horrible, nasty behaviour of others.

The tree is probably the type of nickname that teammates would call big lanky players at the training ground. It really inoffensive.

I feel if that type of nickname becomes out of bounds or unacceptable then we really are heading towards a joyless and sterile future society.

I only listened to your cast for about 5 minutes one night and in that spell he came across as very condescending and patronising saying he’s never read as much shit in his life as some of the views on here.

So he can say people’s opinions are shit but not expect some grief back.

Its one thing to disagree with an opinion, that’s fine but if you start mocking other people’s views then don’t be shocked if they retaliate.