PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

If not Neil then who?

So you are basically saying ,whoever we get as a manager , without significant investment on quality players will fail and I agree and so does everyone else probably , so who do we employ , we need a manager/ coach even without investment. Hemmings strategy is definitely not working but will he change it I don’t think so .
No, cause a manager who can develop players could conceivably do that on a lower budget. I'm also not saying he will change the way we're working but if you don't jump to conclusions and steady on a minute you might notice I'm saying by maintaining the current approach the owner isn't getting anywhere close to getting bang for his buck.

And I wonder why he has been potted a few times.Never understood the fascination north Enders have with old boys Nugent Robinson Ainsworth Appleton Hugill etc need I go on.Never go back it doesn’t work either in football or life.
I’m judging Appleton purely on ability - he managed at Blackpool!

If we appoint Ainsworth (which we won't, as he's waiting for Mowbray to be sacked) then by October fans will be sick of hoofball and be moaning like crazy. Hopefully the results might mask it, but if not there will be comparisons to the Westley days.

As I said around this time last year, Michael Appleton would be the ideal replacement for Neil. Built up good experience and knowledge of the lower leagues, has Premier League experience, worked with Premier League u-23 teams too, plays decent football... He needs to resign 😉
That's a really well balanced reply!
Just for the record I wouldn't be opposed to Appleton.
However, your blinkered view of Ainsworth is telling, I think you will be the one possibly moaning. Making comparisons with Westley is frankly ridiculous.
Just hope we don't end up with dullard Mowbray now that would give us something to moaning about

That's a really well balanced reply!
Just for the record I wouldn't be opposed to Appleton.
However, your blinkered view of Ainsworth is telling, I think you will be the one possibly moaning. Making comparisons with Westley is frankly ridiculous.
Just hope we don't end up with dullard Mowbray now that would give us something to moaning about
He wouldn't be the only one moaning, I'm sure Double J will be too. ;)

If we appoint Ainsworth (which we won't, as he's waiting for Mowbray to be sacked) then by October fans will be sick of hoofball and be moaning like crazy. Hopefully the results might mask it, but if not there will be comparisons to the Westley days.

As I said around this time last year, Michael Appleton would be the ideal replacement for Neil. Built up good experience and knowledge of the lower leagues, has Premier League experience, worked with Premier League u-23 teams too, plays decent football... He needs to resign 😉

How is Gareth ainworth a shit replacement (Westley esk you say) yet Michael Appleton is an ideal replacement despite him achieving nothing compared to what ainsworth has achieved.

I take it you have watched Lincoln play to know they play good football. Also if you are using ‘managing in the Prem’ as a barametor for success then we might as well appoint Steve kean as manager.

No, cause a manager who can develop players could conceivably do that on a lower budget. I'm also not saying he will change the way we're working but if you don't jump to conclusions and steady on a minute you might notice I'm saying by maintaining the current approach the owner isn't getting anywhere close to getting bang for his buck.
I know he’s not and so does he, do you honestly think he will now pump more in because I don’t he will try to find a cheap option who may come good to get his bucks back or end up with another Baylis . What Hemmings did wrong is not offer players like Pearson, Davis ect, a big enough pay rise at first then when it was to late he upped his offer If he had offered them a decent pay rise and they turned that down that was the time to sell them.
. In the past he’s had players to sell like Robinson, and Cunningham , but now we are scraping the bottom of the barrel by extending the contracts of players like Evans, Bodin and Harrop .
The club is going backwards we know that the players know that Alex Neil knew that , I will say it again Hemmings tried to get promotion on the cheap he has failed , what his next move is I don’t know obviously he doesn’t want us to go down that is the only time he seems to act. On the other hand I can’t see him ever pushing the boat out to get us promotion , he’s had opportunities to do that and has failed miserably.
On the manager front please tell me who you think we can attract who can develop players on a lower budget I would love to know .

I know he’s not and so does he, do you honestly think he will now pump more in because I don’t he will try to find a cheap option who may come good to get his bucks back or end up with another Baylis . What Hemmings did wrong is not offer players like Pearson, Davis ect, a big enough pay rise at first then when it was to late he upped his offer If he had offered them a decent pay rise and they turned that down that was the time to sell them.
. In the past he’s had players to sell like Robinson, and Cunningham , but now we are scraping the bottom of the barrel by extending the contracts of players like Evans, Bodin and Harrop .
The club is going backwards we know that the players know that Alex Neil knew that , I will say it again Hemmings tried to get promotion on the cheap he has failed , what his next move is I don’t know obviously he doesn’t want us to go down that is the only time he seems to act. On the other hand I can’t see him ever pushing the boat out to get us promotion , he’s had opportunities to do that and has failed miserably.
On the manager front please tell me who you think we can attract who can develop players on a lower budget I would love to know .
Bit difficult to know what you're going on about to be honest.
Who do reckon should manage us back to the top?

I'm thinking more and more that Ainsworth would be a good appointment and maybe the catalyst for a positive change on the field. He seems to work with what he has and doesn't whinge about it. He's pragmatic and has his current team performing above what could be reasonably expected. He'd know the limitations at PNE and I think he'd do a good job. Seems the best bet right now to me. However, I don't think Trev will want to pay compo for a manager and I expect it will be whoever is free in the summer or FM if he fancies committing to it and not waiting for AN to pick up a job.

Bit difficult to know what you're going on about to be honest.
Who do reckon should manage us back to the top?
I stated my preference more than once , it was Ainsworth , not my top choice but in my top three but I think it’s one we could attract, one who will get the support of a lot of fans, and most importantly one we could afford you stated he was not a manager who could develop players and make them good enough to sell on .
,I ask you again please tell me who you think we should go for as our next manager who we can afford, who will attract these players we can develop and most importantly want to become our manager with a limited budget, be prepared to have very little say in the players we sign , as stated we want a coach, not a manager
. Where have I stated he or anybody will manage us back to the top I have supported North End over fifty years and and in that time we have only on two or three occasions looked like we could finally get there to then be let down through lack of investment .
You say who our next manager shouldn’t be but don’t say who he should be I await your answer .

How is Gareth ainworth a shit replacement (Westley esk you say) yet Michael Appleton is an ideal replacement despite him achieving nothing compared to what ainsworth has achieved.

It's all a game of opinions isn't it! Take away the emotion of Ainsworth being a great player and a cult figure for us, and I doubt we'd be interested in him.

He's evidently a superb lower league motivator, but unless we were in League 1 ourselves I don't think a) he's what we need, or b) after being given autonomy at Wycombe for years he would want to work under our recruitment methods

It's all a game of opinions isn't it! Take away the emotion of Ainsworth being a great player and a cult figure for us, and I doubt we'd be interested in him.

He's evidently a superb lower league motivator, but unless we were in League 1 ourselves I don't think a) he's what we need, or b) after being given autonomy at Wycombe for years he would want to work under our recruitment methods

Yes but you can’t say ainsworth isn’t ideal and compare him to Westley because he is a ‘lower league motivator’ but then say Appleton would be an ideal replacement for being a ‘lower league motivator.’

And as for opinions - you say Appleton teams play decent football despite probably never seeing Lincoln play.

How can you have an opinion of something you have never seen?

And it’s also bollocks to suggest we wouldn’t be interested in Ainsworth’s achievements if he hadn’t played for us.

How does that stack up with your Westley comparison or the fact that we’re supposedly looking at the Hull boss and his far bigger budget?

I stated my preference more than once , it was Ainsworth , not my top choice but in my top three but I think it’s one we could attract, one who will get the support of a lot of fans, and most importantly one we could afford you stated he was not a manager who could develop players and make them good enough to sell on .
,I ask you again please tell me who you think we should go for as our next manager who we can afford, who will attract these players we can develop and most importantly want to become our manager with a limited budget, be prepared to have very little say in the players we sign , as stated we want a coach, not a manager
. Where have I stated he or anybody will manage us back to the top I have supported North End over fifty years and and in that time we have only on two or three occasions looked like we could finally get there to then be let down through lack of investment .
You say who our next manager shouldn’t be but don’t say who he should be I await your answer .
Hard to debate with someone who just blatantly ignoring what's being discussed, but anyway.

I'm not expecting you to be an expert in my posts but I've posted my preference many times, bit left field and not popular but it's Russell Martin at mk Dons. his first season in football but a very distinctive style of play, developing players, an up and coming manager with a clear distinct structure.

And there's not only him in league 1, there's all the other names been discussed who seem to be if a similar ilk.

Neither am I against ainsworth, I genuinely like direct high energy football. But the only point I'm making is ainsworth with the same approach in the transfer market that Neil faced won't get us anywhere close to the promotion places, we'll just carry on as we are or even go backwards.

But an alternative approach, is going down a coach route aggressive scouting and player development generating income through player trading with a long-term goal of arriving at a squad that can eventually compete. What you'd get out of this approach as a supporter is being involved with the plan and seeing talent develop and move on but observing clear progression as a club.

Either way forward is valid but both need radical adjustments to our player recruitment, ainsworth route being the most unaffordable imo as this would mean we need to buy better than what we have been doing such as Rafferty stockley bodin moult etc. Can't see that can you?

Yes but you can’t say ainsworth isn’t ideal and compare him to Westley because he is a ‘lower league motivator’ but then say Appleton would be an ideal replacement for being a ‘lower league motivator.’

I didn't say that.

Hard to debate with someone who just blatantly ignoring what's being discussed, but anyway.

I'm not expecting you to be an expert in my posts but I've posted my preference many times, bit left field and not popular but it's Russell Martin at mk Dons. his first season in football but a very distinctive style of play, developing players, an up and coming manager with a clear distinct structure.

And there's not only him in league 1, there's all the other names been discussed who seem to be if a similar ilk.

Neither am I against ainsworth, I genuinely like direct high energy football. But the only point I'm making is ainsworth with the same approach in the transfer market that Neil faced won't get us anywhere close to the promotion places, we'll just carry on as we are or even go backwards.

But an alternative approach, is going down a coach route aggressive scouting and player development generating income through player trading with a long-term goal of arriving at a squad that can eventually compete. What you'd get out of this approach as a supporter is being involved with the plan and seeing talent develop and move on but observing clear progression as a club.

Either way forward is valid but both need radical adjustments to our player recruitment, ainsworth route being the most unaffordable imo as this would mean we need to buy better than what we have been doing such as Rafferty stockley bodin moult etc. Can't see that can you?
Russell Martin won't be our manager and I doubt he is among the applicants. However, he was the co-owner of Declan Rudd's vegan restaurant.

I think if Ainsworth was the choice he would be delighted to work under our recruitment methods he's had next to nothing at Wycombe.
I think he started with 9 players a couple of seasons ago!
I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't come to us, if he was the choice I doubt 2/1 would still be available.
I have a feeling it could be someone not even mentioned.

‘Our recruitment methods’ is a fancy term for whoever Peter Ridsdale (aged 69 and never managed a game in his life) takes a fancy to. 😏
Get what your saying but Alex Neil had a significantly larger budget (pounds) than Ainsworth so perhaps if given the chance could possibly spend it better than Neil?
The signings under Neil in general were pretty poor to say the least.