PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

If not Neil then who?

Is it me or is there something unusual this year. Both pne and Sheffield Utd are taking an age to appoint someone. Usually when a Manager is potted, they're usually replaced by now. Perhaps both clubs are after Ainsworth? Perhaps both clubs targets are still employed?
If it was Nicky Butt then why ate we waiting? He's available now. My guess is our target s Gareth and out of respect to Wycombe both pne and Gareth are waiting till the end of the season, after all, they are not yet relegated.

Is it me or is there something unusual this year. Both pne and Sheffield Utd are taking an age to appoint someone. Usually when a Manager is potted, they're usually replaced by now. Perhaps both clubs are after Ainsworth? Perhaps both clubs targets are still employed?
If it was Nicky Butt then why ate we waiting? He's available now. My guess is our target s Gareth and out of respect to Wycombe both pne and Gareth are waiting till the end of the season, after all, they are not yet relegated.

No there isn’t. Ridsdale said that we wasn’t going to appoint someone until the end of the season. That was before we had any applicants. makes sense as there was only 8 games left. We aren’t waiting around. Ridsdale said that I can find you the quotes if you want.
So no we aren’t taking an age. We wasn’t going to appoint someone now anyway.

Sheffield United know they’re relegated so there is no point paying the increased compo that it would require to bring the new man in, which would likely be decreased in the summer. We aren’t going anywhere so it is the same for us

I didn't say that.

You said Appleton would be an ideal replacement ‘because he has built up good experience and knowledge of the lower leagues’ in other words a lower league motivator. But Ainsworth who has done the exact same thing and actually been promoted from league one is very like Westley. Makes sense.

There’s no way Sheffield United will appoint Ainsworth. Their fans absolutely despise him because he ended the career of one of their most popular players.

You said Appleton would be an ideal replacement ‘because he has built up good experience and knowledge of the lower leagues’ in other words a lower league motivator. But Ainsworth who has done the exact same thing and actually been promoted from league one is very like Westley. Makes sense.
Ainsworth has had a few relegations to his CV too? Ie we’ll be on one emotional high/low rollercoaster (?). - I just have the feeling it’s just to volatile package for TH. Appleton would be more a predictable outcome. Also suspect Lincoln’s form has dipped since the North End vacancy. Might be pure coincidence- but there are always scenes behind a club that you can never fully predict and I wonder there’s an acceptance at Sincil Bank that the 4 year contract has a higher division club release clause....

So I didn't say that, thanks for clarifying.

Ainsworth, like Westley, got a technically limited but willing group of players promoted twice in quick succession. The problem came for Westley when his "different" methods didn't work at a bigger club. The team building and motivation didn't have the same effect with better quality players with experience in the game as it would with plucky lower/non-league grafters. Not the same extreme as Medals by any stretch, but I can see it being a similar issue with Ainsworth.

Appleton on the other hand has experience working with higher calibre players having been involved with Premier League coaching at Leicester and u-23 development with WBA, as well as gaining that knowledge of the lower leagues where we will be signing 95% of our players. It's about balance. In the same way elite level players can be frustrated and struggle to motivate lesser able players (Roy Keane springs to mind, plus Shrek recently) the same goes for lower league managers who can't seem to get the best out of top talent (Nathan Jones, Cowleys etc)

I think if Ainsworth was the choice he would be delighted to work under our recruitment methods he's had next to nothing at Wycombe.
I think he started with 9 players a couple of seasons ago!
I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't come to us, if he was the choice I doubt 2/1 would still be available.
I have a feeling it could be someone not even mentioned.
I don't think we have a choice yet. Club have an idea who is interested now, but more maybe available at the end of the season.

I don't think there will be any serious discussions with anyone until the season is ended. Like you, I think our next manager currently has high odds available right now. But my preferred choice is Ainsworth.

Ainsworth has had a few relegations to his CV too? Ie we’ll be on one emotional high/low rollercoaster (?). - I just have the feeling it’s just to volatile package for TH. Appleton would be more a predictable outcome. Also suspect Lincoln’s form has dipped since the North End vacancy. Might be pure coincidence- but there are always scenes behind a club that you can never fully predict and I wonder there’s an acceptance at Sincil Bank that the 4 year contract has a higher division club release clause....
Ainsworth has 0 relegations and 2 promotions on his CV.

Ainsworth has 0 relegations and 2 promotions on his CV.
He is bottom of the league though and just for the sake of debate, for two reasons it doesn't seem to land with the convinced that being the bottom of the league actually matters and he's also one of my all time favourite nobbers, but seems to be highly thought of for a manager bottom of the championship. Take away his Preston connections, which are as strong if not stronger at qpr and Wycombe, maybe Blackburn also, then we're getting excited over the bottom of the league manager. It's an odd old game.

He is bottom of the league though and just for the sake of debate, for two reasons it doesn't seem to land with the convinced that being the bottom of the league actually matters and he's also one of my all time favourite nobbers, but seems to be highly thought of for a manager bottom of the championship. Take away his Preston connections, which are as strong if not stronger at qpr and Wycombe, maybe Blackburn also, then we're getting excited over the bottom of the league manager. It's an odd old game.
And yet you're excited by a manager whose MK Dons side finished 19th in league one last season and are currently 10th in league whilst having a much bigger budget than Ainsworths had,odd old game

And yet you're excited by a manager whose MK Dons side finished 19th in league one last season and are currently 10th in league whilst having a much bigger budget than Ainsworths had,odd old game
I'm not excited I'm proposing an alternative, and he wasn't manager there for the whole season Whoopi 👍🏻

This article covers it in some details, odd eh.

Last edited:
No there isn’t. Ridsdale said that we wasn’t going to appoint someone until the end of the season. That was before we had any applicants. makes sense as there was only 8 games left. We aren’t waiting around. Ridsdale said that I can find you the quotes if you want.
So no we aren’t taking an age. We wasn’t going to appoint someone now anyway.
Cheers John. Fair explanation as was James about Sheff Utd.

There’s no way Sheffield United will appoint Ainsworth. Their fans absolutely despise him because he ended the career of one of their most popular players.

My Bro in law is a Blade ST holder and he said he'd hate Ainnsworth and can't stand him. I wondered why tbh so ill ask him if it's this, cheers.

So I didn't say that, thanks for clarifying.

Ainsworth, like Westley, got a technically limited but willing group of players promoted twice in quick succession. The problem came for Westley when his "different" methods didn't work at a bigger club. The team building and motivation didn't have the same effect with better quality players with experience in the game as it would with plucky lower/non-league grafters. Not the same extreme as Medals by any stretch, but I can see it being a similar issue with Ainsworth.

Appleton on the other hand has experience working with higher calibre players having been involved with Premier League coaching at Leicester and u-23 development with WBA, as well as gaining that knowledge of the lower leagues where we will be signing 95% of our players. It's about balance. In the same way elite level players can be frustrated and struggle to motivate lesser able players (Roy Keane springs to mind, plus Shrek recently) the same goes for lower league managers who can't seem to get the best out of top talent (Nathan Jones, Cowleys etc)
I think we get it you don’t think Ainsworth is the man for the job and that is fine but, constant comparisons with Mr Medals are a touch disrespectful. Why?

You must have noticed Westley is also borderline insane, which didn’t help

Because he has never kicked a ball in the football league, was never likely to have credibility whilst Ainsworth was good enough for the prem, and to command a 2 million fee when such an amount was big

Are you really calling our current crop ‘Top Talent’😲

As for the Cowleys at Huddersfield, they were not doing a bad job and their dismissal was harsh to say the least

So to whoever comes next, a possible interview question? ....So tell me what can you achieve at Preston North End and how are you going to do it?

So to whoever comes next, a possible interview question? ....So tell me what can you achieve at Preston North End and how are you going to do it?
Organise the defence, create more chances, high intensity for 95 mins, improve the players- rest takes care of itself

To be fair Micky, there is no need to rush.... they said when Neil went that FM would get the job for the rest of the season and it was his to keep if he performed well. I suspect that after May 8th Hemmings and Risdale will assess the situation - if FM gets a couple more wins then i reckon he gets the job !!

If they decide that they dont want to give it FM then it will be time enough to appoint a new person in Mid May