PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Does class matter these days

Classism is still thriving more than ever unfortunately in the uk, it's absolutely everywhere. Simple examples such as EU referendum vote and how (a lot on here also) talk about leave voters as being thick, pandemic where the loudest voice was for harder longer more Draconian lockdowns from those who can afford it yet still expected the shelves of Waitrose to be rammed full of hummus and quinoa. Media is totally dominated by middle class liberal elites, and just look at labour who have lost Scotland and the north of England yet thrive in metropolitan city centres.

The working class are fucked over more today than ever imo and becoming more and more marginalised. Even the working class game is now a space for the virtuous to lecture the plebs on all kinds of 'social issues' where it once used to be a space for working people to escape all the bullshit of life.

Classism is still thriving more than ever unfortunately in the uk, it's absolutely everywhere. Simple examples such as EU referendum vote and how (a lot on here also) talk about leave voters as being thick, pandemic where the loudest voice was for harder longer more Draconian lockdowns from those who can afford it yet still expected the shelves of Waitrose to be rammed full of hummus and quinoa. Media is totally dominated by middle class liberal elites, and just look at labour who have lost Scotland and the north of England yet thrive in metropolitan city centres.

The working class are fucked over more today than ever imo and becoming more and more marginalised. Even the working class game is now a space for the virtuous to lecture the plebs on all kinds of 'social issues' where it once used to be a space for working people to escape all the bullshit of life.
Great Post

Spot on, especially regarding the pandemic. I think the below tweets sum it up -

Think that some of those able to work from home might not be so keen to look down on folk if more and more companies realise they can replace people with gig workers and even outsource.

There is a 4 tier clas system in this country. The fourth tier is the underclass.
Nope, it's much more complicated than that. The working class moved up and are more or less indistinguishable from what used to be considered the middle class, who lived somewhere in semi detached suburbia.

The upper class can be subdivided even more; new money, old money, landed gentry/Lords and Ladies, Bishops, miner Royalty, major Royalty, such as Lord Edgington and her Maj (doffs flat cap)

Personally, I can't abide it, but I wouldn't be in favour of dismantling it; that will happen naturally down the centuries.

I think this is a really interesting topic and one I’ve given a lot of thought to. I am absolutely a serious working class snob. I am immensely proud of being a Council kid, having nowt and working all my life. I struggle to look upwards because I see no deserved respect to someone that has been handed everything on a plate. I don’t get, nor will I ever understand how someone can spend £500 on a night out or £1000 on a pair of shoes whilst another person freezes to death on the streets in winter or, a mother has to go to a food bank to feed her kids and then retire to bed by 6pm just to stay warm. I will be honest I don’t look up to wealth or fame I look down on them. They will always be the lowest rank greedy class to me.
Genuine question: if you won the lottery, what would you do with the money?

Genuine question: if you won the lottery, what would you do with the money?
I don’t know is the truthful answer. I only ever do it occasionally for that very reason. I would certainly help family and friends but, as much as I would like to think I would help beyond that I know it wouldn’t even make a dent in the social problems. I don’t think I could live with the guilt of having so much more than someone with nothing it would be constantly on my conscience.

we are hoping to move to Menorca anyway in about 3 years but winning the lottery would speed things up !!