PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Brexit never? Britain can still change its mind, says Article 50 autho

The irony of all this is that we have a very ageing population and are in desperate need at least in the medium term of an injection of labour and skilld. A cynic might argue that by accepting only the cream of applicants for entry, we are in a win win situation and will gazump our competitors by attracting the professional classes and rejecting the drones. Continuing our previous tradition in fact. A cynical might argue we are taking the piss and fundamentally immoral.

But the economic migrants are stepping on the heads of genuine asylum seekers, whose case could be dealt with quicker if it wasn’t for the fake asylum seekers swelling the numbers. It’s a right bloody mess that’s for sure.
so who filters them out?

Farage, me, you?

What has Farage got to do with this discussion between you and me, you have always implied Farage as a racist and the whole EU/Brexit thing as being about immigration issues.

So economic migrants should be allowed to claim asylum, why please tell me?
Oh dont get me wrong, Im sorry if ive led you to believe I imply Farage is a racist.

I`ll be clearer, my apologies.

Farage is racist.

You should have gone into law or politics. Either that or got a job as a lubricant.
Well I do understand that in "Tory," post brexit Britain there is no respect for the lwas, especially international law.

As for politics, I dont think Id get very far because Populist I certainly wouldnt be.

so who filters them out?

Farage, me, you?
Again, why do you bring in Farage to the discussion, his he a politician all of sudden, or perhaps he got a job in the Home Office, looks like you must decide Raef, If they are lying and claiming falsely or the pedatory legal firms making a ton out of taxpayers money.

Last time I looked and that was a while ago, there was a backlog of over 70k cases waiting appeal over failed asylum applications.

Again, why do you bring in Farage to the discussion, his he a politician all of sudden, or perhaps he got a job in the Home Office, looks like you must decide Raef, If they are lying and claiming falsely or the pedatory legal firms making a ton out of taxpayers money.

Last time I looked and that was a while ago, there was a backlog of over 70k cases waiting appeal over failed asylum applications.
Hes the one who sails out in dinghies and stokes up the right wing media.

Its working.

all people have the right to legal representation.

[]The irony of all this is that we have a very ageing population and are in desperate need at least in the medium term of an injection of labour and skilld.[/b] A cynic might argue that by accepting only the cream of applicants for entry, we are in a win win situation and will gazump our competitors by attracting the professional classes and rejecting the drones. Continuing our previous tradition in fact. A cynical might argue we are taking the piss and fundamentally immoral.
Yup - That's a view I am very wary of, tbh and share your cynicism. Too often, wealthier countries extract skilled workers from poorer countries to solve their own demographic problems, leaving those countries with shortages and an ageing population.

It is another form of exploitation that merely fuels the race to the bottom.

The Home Office erroneously rejected and denied entry to the long time asian wife of my colleague employed permanently in a govt job. I suspect the reason there are 70k cases appeals outstanding is because they've a 'computer says no' system operating in line with Johnsons mantra that thats what people voted for.
Certainly no money in it for lawyers.

Its working.

New data from the Home Office show that over 70,000 people were waiting for a decision on their initial asylum application at the end of June 2021—up 73% over the past two years despite a decline in the number of applicants, the Migration Observatory at the University of Oxford said today.

At 70,905, the asylum backlog was more than nine times higher than it was a decade previously, at the end of June 2011. The backlog included 3,064 citizens of Afghanistan.

The UK received asylum applications from 37,325 people in the year ending June 2021, a 9% decrease from the previous year. These figures include asylum seekers arriving by boat. Boat arrivals have been increasing but made up a minority of asylum claims in the most recent data, which is from 2020. Among people who applied for asylum in 2018, and thus have had time to complete the asylum process in most cases, 61% were successful either at initial decision or after appeal, as of May 2020.

The new Home Office data show refugee resettlement to the UK has not gained pace after it effectively ground to a halt during the pandemic. Only 308 refugees were resettled in Q2 2021, compared to a quarterly average of over 1,400 from 2016 to 2019. The figures do not yet capture resettlement of Afghan refugees that the government has pledged, since the collapse of the government and seizure of power by the Taliban. The majority (67%) of people resettled in Q2 2021 were Syrian.

In Q2 2021, only 9 Afghans were resettled in the UK, and Afghans made up 4.5% of asylum seekers granted protection. Afghans have had a higher-than-average success rate in asylum cases, at 70% for the 2018 cohort of applicants (as of May 2020, excluding those who had not yet received a final decision).

Dr Peter William Walsh researcher at the Migration Observatory at the University of Oxford said: “The scale of the asylum backlog does not reflect numbers of people applying, because asylum applications have slightly decreased. Some of the recent increases in the backlog took place during the pandemic, but actually this is a much longer-term trend. A key driver is that the share of people receiving a decision within six months has fallen dramatically over the past decade.”

Today’s data also showed an increase in the number of applications for visas to work in the UK from EU citizens, with just over 10,750 applications in the second quarter of 2021. This is more than double the very low figure of just under 4,570 in the first quarter. However, EU citizens still made up only 12% of skilled work visa applications in Q2 2021.

Full Story Link Here

New data from the Home Office show that over 70,000 people were waiting for a decision on their initial asylum application at the end of June 2021—up 73% over the past two years despite a decline in the number of applicants, the Migration Observatory at the University of Oxford said today.

At 70,905, the asylum backlog was more than nine times higher than it was a decade previously, at the end of June 2011. The backlog included 3,064 citizens of Afghanistan.

The UK received asylum applications from 37,325 people in the year ending June 2021, a 9% decrease from the previous year. These figures include asylum seekers arriving by boat. Boat arrivals have been increasing but made up a minority of asylum claims in the most recent data, which is from 2020. Among people who applied for asylum in 2018, and thus have had time to complete the asylum process in most cases, 61% were successful either at initial decision or after appeal, as of May 2020.

The new Home Office data show refugee resettlement to the UK has not gained pace after it effectively ground to a halt during the pandemic. Only 308 refugees were resettled in Q2 2021, compared to a quarterly average of over 1,400 from 2016 to 2019. The figures do not yet capture resettlement of Afghan refugees that the government has pledged, since the collapse of the government and seizure of power by the Taliban. The majority (67%) of people resettled in Q2 2021 were Syrian.

In Q2 2021, only 9 Afghans were resettled in the UK, and Afghans made up 4.5% of asylum seekers granted protection. Afghans have had a higher-than-average success rate in asylum cases, at 70% for the 2018 cohort of applicants (as of May 2020, excluding those who had not yet received a final decision).

Dr Peter William Walsh researcher at the Migration Observatory at the University of Oxford said: “The scale of the asylum backlog does not reflect numbers of people applying, because asylum applications have slightly decreased. Some of the recent increases in the backlog took place during the pandemic, but actually this is a much longer-term trend. A key driver is that the share of people receiving a decision within six months has fallen dramatically over the past decade.”

Today’s data also showed an increase in the number of applications for visas to work in the UK from EU citizens, with just over 10,750 applications in the second quarter of 2021. This is more than double the very low figure of just under 4,570 in the first quarter. However, EU citizens still made up only 12% of skilled work visa applications in Q2 2021.

Full Story Link Here
Brexit and the tories have done so well, havent they!

Its working.

You are well intentioned but trying to extinguish a fire with petrol.

The easier you make this, the more will come. More will come, more will die. Leaving problems in their own country and arriving in countries which sooner or later won’t be able to cope.

This way to la-la land.

You’ll never see it and we’ll never agree because deep down you are so suspicious of genuine concern that you mistake it for racism.

Respectfully, I’m out at this point.

You are well intentioned but trying to extinguish a fire with petrol.

The easier you make this, the more will come. More will come, more will die. Leaving problems in their own country and arriving in countries which sooner or later won’t be able to cope.

This way to la-la land.

You’ll never see it and we’ll never agree because deep down you are so suspicious of genuine concern that you mistake it for racism.

Respectfully, I’m out at this point.
Im not well intentioned, I believe what I believe and will not bow down to populist opinion. Ever.

Edit:

I repeat there is only you that has attempted the racist card. Everyone else has steered away from it.

Last edited:
Brexit and the tories have done so well, havent they!

I don't know, never voted Tory, always voted Labour even last election although I wasn't voting for Jez, I did vote Brexit but I don't agree the Tories are doing well at anything least of all Brexit.

I don't know, never voted Tory, always voted Labour even last election although I wasn't voting for Jez, I did vote Brexit but I don't agree the Tories are doing well at anything least of all Brexit.
I didnt vote for labour at the last election, the option wasnt there and probably wont be again, in my lifetime.

I am out of this discussion too Raef, pointless debate...getting nowhere and not a lot I can do about it
Indeed but its been good to have an opposed debate without anyone throwing insults about. Passed a boring few hours, in fairness.

so who filters them out?

Farage, me, you?
Maybe it should be a case of no papers no entry, those without I.D go to a holding centre🤷🏼‍♀️ I fear for the security of this country, no one knows who or where these people have come from, what their history is, how many could be criminals, terrorists?.