PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Riis

17 goals,
5 assists,
How many penalties won? Plus numerous others that should have been given.

I've no idea why people want him with his back to goal, doing layoffs and holding it up. Utterly pointless.

He's also quality at carrying the ball from deep and making defenders backtrack.

@Dreyfuss what are his final shot conversion stats? Possibly as good as any striker we've ever had at this level, if not better I imagine.
In the league Riis managed 74 shots, 35 on target, 17 goals, 5 assists. He basically maintained that same rate of accuracy all season long, when ever I checked the stats.

He puts just less than half his shots on target, and scores just less than half of his shots on target. The same ratio as the best strikers in the league.

The likes of Evans and Maguire do not match up at all to these kind of accuracy rates.

As for why "people want him with his back to goal, doing layoffs and holding it up" it's largely because that's the type of striker they want to see.

So, Riis will never be enough for them no matter if he scored 30+ goals. They'd still wanna bring up the games he was rubbish in. Or how he doesn't celebrate enough. Or how he sulks when he gets subbed.

Or whatever excuse they can pull out their ass to defend their long held preference for a Ched Evans style hold up play, work ethic bruiser.

It doesn’t hold that just because Riis has scored 22 goals this season he is somehow immune from criticism. I understand people calling out Evans supporters for double standards but perfectly valid for some to have reservations about Riis which are totally unrelated to how they perceive Evans.

I'm possibly Riis' biggest fan and have been since I saw the early potential in him when he first signed. Even I don't think he is immune from criticism, as long as its constructive not some morons on Twitter saying he's shit after one poor game.

The Evans/Maguire debate I don't really understand. Lets be honest neither of them are particularly good enough if we want to challenge.

All I'd say is Evans offers the direct approach if things are not going to plan and is properly awkward to play against. Maguire doesn't offer anything for me now. Sad as it is to say.

In the league Riis managed 74 shots, 35 on target, 17 goals, 5 assists. He basically maintained that same rate of accuracy all season long, when ever I checked the stats.

He puts just less than half his shots on target, and scores just less than half of his shots on target. The same ratio as the best strikers in the league.

The likes of Evans and Maguire do not match up at all to these kind of accuracy rates.

As for why "people want him with his back to goal, doing layoffs and holding it up" it's largely because that's the type of striker they want to see.

So, Riis will never be enough for them no matter if he scored 30+ goals. They'd still wanna bring up the games he was rubbish in. Or how he doesn't celebrate enough. Or how he sulks when he gets subbed.

Or whatever excuse they can pull out their ass to defend their long held preference for a Ched Evans style hold up play, work ethic bruiser.
These people need to watch more European football. Let the ten behind him worry about defending and playing football, let him make defenders shit themselves and score goals.

I've said it all season, but what does Vardy do other than run & score? I bet Leicester fans hate him.

If Riis didn't sulk when he was subbed I'd be pissed off with him. How can people say that's a problem haha. He wants to play, score goals and win games and don't get me started on his celebration, who gives a fuck how he celebrates.

Honestly can't get my head around anyone having a moan about him, first 20+ goal a season striker we have had at this level for ages and potential to get even better. Literally nothing to complain about.

I'm possibly Riis' biggest fan and have been since I saw the early potential in him when he first signed. Even I don't think he is immune from criticism, as long as its constructive not some morons on Twitter saying he's shit after one poor game.

The Evans/Maguire debate I don't really understand. Lets be honest neither of them are particularly good enough if we want to challenge.

All I'd say is Evans offers the direct approach if things are not going to plan and is properly awkward to play against. Maguire doesn't offer anything for me now. Sad as it is to say.
I don't believe any player is "immune" from criticism. But, I think the criticism of Riis throughout this season has been way over the top.

His final tally of goals and assists and most recent performances should maybe shut a few up thankfully. Because as you say there isn't really anything to complain about. He's a success story this season.

But, clearly some won't be happy till Riis leaves and we have some lumbering chugger like Cole Stockton up top.

Ok, Evans fan boy. 0 goals in 14 starts. Dictating to people about what constitutes a striker. I've watched every game thanks very much. And just so happen to have facts and stats to back my opinions. I know that must be frustrating.

Evans fan boy = Wanted him gone at the end of the season...

There’s a pretty much 1:1 correlation between those who opposed the signing on non-football grounds and those who reduce his contribution to elbowing people.

I was very critical of the signing at the time but he was excellent in his first half season, and has been a good option at times this season. Especially during Riis’ marked slump post new year.

It’s pretty clear that his value has now diminished beyond his upside and we should be looking to upgrade.

Post Bournemouth, you and Thracia told me how transformative a returning Riis would be to the side, 2 starts later and 2 turgid goalless performances later it seems as though that prediction wasnt universally true.

Literally all I am asking is turn the 2/10s to 5/10s, cant wait to see how far you can run with that one.

There’s a pretty much 1:1 correlation between those who opposed the signing on non-football grounds and those who reduce his contribution to elbowing people.

I was very critical of the signing at the time but he was excellent in his first half season, and has been a good option at times this season. Especially during Riis’ marked slump post new year.

It’s pretty clear that his value has now diminished beyond his upside and we should be looking to upgrade.

Post Bournemouth, you and Thracia told me how transformative a returning Riis would be to the side, 2 starts later and 2 turgid goalless performances later it seems as though that prediction wasnt universally true.

Literally all I am asking is turn the 2/10s to 5/10s, cant wait to see how far you can run with that one.
Revising your opinions faster than Riis runs. Impressive. Do you deny you were constantly wanting Evans in the team?

How many 2/10's has Archer had in your opinion. And why have you never posted about them?

BTW Post Bournemouth we played Cardiff and had huge amounts of possession and chances and should have won. Then we played Luton and I categorically stated I'd play Evans in that game as Riis wasn't suited. Then some wierd 433 setup versus Derby which a sending off ruined.

As soon as we went back to Archer and Riis what happened? 4 out of 5 wins.

Revising your opinions faster than Riis runs. Impressive. Do you deny you were constantly wanting Evans in the team?

How many 2/10's has Archer had in your opinion. And why have you never posted about them?

At the time in question, I was picking Evans over Riis probably 8 in 10 games.

Also prior to the Cardiff game, I said I’d rather watch Evans than Riis. Then Cardiff and Luton rolled around and I felt pretty vindicated.

Also, why when I used some context to look into your stats regarding Evans did you just plow right through, yet Riis gets called out and suddenly context is everything.

Finally, and this will be a footnote until you process it, I’m really high on Riis going into next season. I have no issue if we get rid of Ched before next season

At the time in question, I was picking Evans over Riis probably 8 in 10 games.

Also prior to the Cardiff game, I said I’d rather watch Evans than Riis. Then Cardiff and Luton rolled around and I felt pretty vindicated.

Also, why when I used some context to look into your stats regarding Evans did you just plow right through, yet Riis gets called out and suddenly context is everything.

Finally, and this will be a footnote until you process it, I’m really high on Riis going into next season. I have no issue if we get rid of Ched before next season
Picking Evans in 8 in 10 games sounds like foolishness personified to me. But it takes all sorts I guess. Give me the full context about 0 goals in 14 starts for Evans - consisting of three wins with 8 failed to score. I'm all ears.

As for processing your footnote. I did. I said you change your opinion faster than Riis runs

Last edited:
Picking Evans in 8 in 10 games sounds like foolishness personified to me. But it takes all sorts I guess. Give me the full context about 0 goals in 14 starts for Evans - consisting of three wins with 8 failed to score. I'm all ears.

Cos at that stage, as a starter Riis was playing like he'd won the right to do so as a raffle prize. Contrary to that he had made important contributions off the bench, penalty vs Cov, goal vs Bournemouth, pen not given vs Huddersfield (which definitely should have been a penalty).

As one example. Riis starts against Peterboro, plays abysmally, and is subbed off in the 60th minute. Archer then scores a belter in the 80th minute. This is included in your stats as an Archer-Riis masterclass.

Archer then goes on to miss 2 much simpler chances in the 0-0 against Forest, when Ched happened to be starting. This result then goes down as evidence to how blunt we are when Evans starts.

If Riis plays how he did against Middlesbrough, then I imagine our xG would be twice as high as even Ched's best game. Can you honestly tell me that was the level Riis has been playing at all season, and I have only just happened to notice?