PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Riis

Madness that Riis isn't just left on the halfway line when we're defending set pieces, if it's cleared into space then he'll work a chance on goal more often than not.
Yeah, also fell asleep on the edge of the box for Sheff Utd’s first goal at home. Should be nowhere near his own goal

Yeah, this is a fair point.

Riis (6ft 3) also lost out in the air for Blackburn’s third goal against Lenihan (6ft 2). Although I place no blame on Emil for that, but rather the coaching staff. Why did we have Emil defending the ball rather than in the wall?
mainly because Rovers have 6 6'+ er's and Lenihan is the smallest of their CB's..... we put our 'smaller' guys in the wall and try to mark the big ones.
RL said is was a specific Rovers move that they had warned about and coached about........ and one we should have defended better than we did bearing this in mind...... Riis should have stopped Lenihan getting such a clear header....

mainly because Rovers have 6 6'+ er's and Lenihan is the smallest of their CB's..... we put our 'smaller' guys in the wall and try to mark the big ones.
RL said is was a specific Rovers move that they had warned about and coached about........ and one we should have defended better than we did bearing this in mind...... Riis should have stopped Lenihan getting such a clear header....
Why were all our centre backs plus Potts stood in the wall like dummies then?

Madness that Riis isn't just left on the halfway line when we're defending set pieces, if it's cleared into space then he'll work a chance on goal more often than not.

Yeah not too bothered about leaving everyone back as I can see the reasoning behind it, but our chances of conceding from a set piece are pretty much the same whether or not Riis is helping to defend.

Would be much better suited to utilising his speed on the counter. If we do end up getting a keeper with good distribution it could be a real asset

This is why I blame the coaching staff rather than Riis - the wall consisted of Bauer, Sepp, Potts, & Hughes. All four of whom are not only better in the air than Emil, but shorter than him.

Defending a Set Piece.

Lets break the numerical figures down.

The oppo has 10 outfield players. Obviously, the keeper isn't involved unless it's Injury Time in a really important game which is rare.

They lose 1 player taking the set piece (10-9)

We leave Riis on the halfway line, they have to leave 2 with him (9-7)

Are you telling me that with 2 men over in our favour, we cannot afford to leave Riis as above?

Madness that we waste this numerical advantage and potential breakaway on the counter.

Defending a Set Piece.

Lets break the numerical figures down.

The oppo has 10 outfield players. Obviously, the keeper isn't involved unless it's Injury Time in a really important game which is rare.

They lose 1 player taking the set piece (10-9)

We leave Riis on the halfway line, they have to leave 2 with him (9-7)

Are you telling me that with 2 men over in our favour, we cannot afford to leave Riis as above?

Madness that we waste this numerical advantage and potential breakaway on the counter.

We dont really waste the numerical advantage. It's just a case of 10 vs 8 or 9 vs 7. It's not like the opposition puts all of their players in the box if you don't leave a man up, they will still have a covering player on the halfway line most of the time.

I think Coventry at home was a good example of why it is often the best option to have everyone in the box. They were leaving 2/3 players up all game and we forced 2 good saves, and scored from a set piece. They created one chance on a counter from our set piece, and our fans were raving about how they set up.

End of the day, it's very easy to create a chance from your own corner, and very difficult to create a chance from an opposition corner, even if you leave someone up front.

However in Riis' case, he is both poor defending a set piece and also extremely quick and a very willing runner. Might be one of the few occasions where I think we'd benefit overall from leaving a player up top.

Yeah, this is a fair point.

Riis (6ft 3) also lost out in the air for Blackburn’s third goal against Lenihan (6ft 2). Although I place no blame on Emil for that, but rather the coaching staff. Why did we have Emil defending the ball rather than in the wall?
All 3 CBs and Potts were in the wall leaving Browne, Whiteman, Riis etc to defend the cross in the box. The set up for that goal was a complete disaster.