PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Riis

Cos at that stage, as a starter Riis was playing like he'd won the right to do so as a raffle prize. Contrary to that he had made important contributions off the bench, penalty vs Cov, goal vs Bournemouth, pen not given vs Huddersfield (which definitely should have been a penalty).

As one example. Riis starts against Peterboro, plays abysmally, and is subbed off in the 60th minute. Archer then scores a belter in the 80th minute. This is included in your stats as an Archer-Riis masterclass.

Archer then goes on to miss 2 much simpler chances in the 0-0 against Forest, when Ched happened to be starting. This result then goes down as evidence to how blunt we are when Evans starts.

If Riis plays how he did against Middlesbrough, then I imagine our xG would be twice as high as even Ched's best game. Can you honestly tell me that was the level Riis has been playing at all season, and I have only just happened to notice?
Ah I see the context you wanna cling on to is what didn't happen, as opposed to what did happen. You might appreciate not all of us can buy into your land of make believe. So when we drop Riis and we score no goals its not Ched's fault its the other guys for missing. And Riis coming on to win us points vs Coventry and Bournemouth is just lucky stat boosting on his part. Nothing to do with the fact we are a fairly uncreative side who needs its goal scoring players on the pitch not on the bench - which is a view fully justified when you look at our results when Evans starts.

You can't measure "Morale boosted per 90 minutes" so for some it is meaningless
You can actually when you look at results with him on the pitch. And the rather shitty 1.17 ppm he has.

Ah I see the context you wanna cling on to is what didn't happen, as opposed to what did happen. You might appreciate not all of us can buy into your land of make believe

BTW Post Bournemouth we played Cardiff and had huge amounts of possession and chances and should have won.

I'm gonna go watch some TV for a bit. Here's a nice contradiction to get you started so you can keep the argument going with yourself

I'm gonna go watch some TV for a bit. Here's a nice contradiction to get you started so you can keep the argument going with yourself
Yeah the man full of contradictions wants to cherry pick one. Good night. Go lick a lump of cheddar. 0 outta 14 is about the rating I give your views on strikers.

Yep, Riis had 10 or so games this year worse than anything either Evans or Maguire put on display.

It seems whenever he plays poorly, the service he receives is always questioned. He was a huge reason why the team created naff all in games in which he started.

In the last 2 games, his hold up play improved notably, and surprise surprise, the team created a boatload of chances of which he himself was a beneficiary. If he can do that 7 in 10 games, we are a totally different animal, and the ridiculous figures some have quoted for his price tag might start to look a lot more like reality.

Post Middlesbrough is definitely the highest I've been on Riis, because he finally displayed the complete striking performance that can pull a team to a top 6 finish, not just that of a decent goal scorer who offers precious little else.

Big summer for him. Hopefully he will be in the gym, adding the size and strength to compete with some of the central defenders that bullied him this season. If he can do that, there will be no need for Ched next season, and we will have a proper player on our hands

Simply bollocks.

I wouldn't want to see him start above others, but away from home he's a great option as a sub if you need physicality. Dichio-esque.

I think he's done to be honest, as much as Ive valued his contribution over the last year and a half, this summer seems a natural parting of the ways.

To play the role you are describing you need to a) be able to make an impact off the bench - which he does and b) be available to be on the bench most weeks - which he does not.

Hopefully his planar fasciitis clears up over summer

I think he's done to be honest, as much as Ive valued his contribution over the last year and a half, this summer seems a natural parting of the ways.

To play the role you are describing you need to a) be able to make an impact off the bench - which he does and b) be available to be on the bench most weeks - which he does not.

Hopefully his planar fasciitis clears up over summer
It's his noscoritus that he needs to clear up.

As I've said previously, football isn't necessarily Riis's forte. Pulling goals out of his arse is though.

He makes things happen and he can do things nobody else in our squad is capable of. The only other person you could maybe say that about is DJ. In a team of very little creativity they are both nailed on starters when fit.

I suppose his chance to show what he can really do is pre-season. He's looked bright in his sub appearances at the end of the season
My only doubt with Mikey is where he actually plays. What's his preferred position? He's not a striker as such is he? Do we play him as a link forward? Is he physical enough to do that role yet? From what I've seen so far he looks the business though.

My only doubt with Mikey is where he actually plays. What's his preferred position? He's not a striker as such is he? Do we play him as a link forward? Is he physical enough to do that role yet? From what I've seen so far he looks the business though.

I'm sure someone mentioned Lowe was having him train as a striker, though I didn't see the source? He's shown he can lay off chances and that he has at least a bit of pace about him. Wonder if Lowe will try and get him to bulk up over the summer?

Saw a Boro fan on Twitter calling him Kaka, and I can see the resemblance in his playing style. Very direct and explosive.

I reckon he'll be a great option next season in that kind of role (link forward/10)

He looks ready to me technically and physically, yet he is only just turning 18. Last thing we want to do is pile pressure on him and there is none as there are players in front of him obviously right now but what an exciting prospect.

Riis has dramatically improved his all round game towards the tail end of this season.

I will die on the hill that for large parts of this season and last it looked at times like he couldn’t trap, control or pass a football.

His assist against the Lashers was superb and recently his general link up play has been superb. Completely changed my mind that him and Archer could play together.

Maybe with Lowe being a former striker he’s had a large input into Riis’s training sessions.

I haven’t seen the lad play yet but Mikey O’Neill is the first academy product I’ve been genuinely excited about in literal decades.

The likes of Browne and Davies have obviously been very good players for us but this lad sounds like he the kind of talent that could have people purring. Don’t know if we’ve ever produced someone like that.