PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Matchday Thread Preston North End v Watford - 20/08/22 - 15:00 - Championship

Riis hasn’t suddenly developed limitations. Despite them he managed to score 21 goals last season and, if started, why do some believe he can’t repeat that if given the chance. Chris Wilder clearly believes he would be a big scorer for Middlesbrough
Yes he has limitations that's why he's with us. Riis is an instinct finisher feeding off crosses and balls to run onto. He struggles with his back to goal, his first touch is hit and miss and his decision making I'd poor. Riis has had one good season. Lowe looks like he is focusing on possession so it looks as though Riis will struggle. I liken it to Paul Hayes when we signed him he was one of the best finishers around, then Phil brown got him and well yeah it all went wrong. Just a feeling Lowe man management of Riis isn't being handled the best.

Preseason doesn't mean anything and his early season form has been no worse or better than Parrotts (with less opportunities).
Results don't count, but patterns of play, sharpness etc surely must be impacted. Its great were defensivly sound, but the lack of goals is a worry. How we didn't score against Rotherham their is no answer, but we look short on goals and that trend started in preseason

Riis hasn’t suddenly developed limitations. Despite them he managed to score 21 goals last season and, if started, why do some believe he can’t repeat that if given the chance. Chris Wilder clearly believes he would be a big scorer for Middlesbrough
Whilst I agree with you, I wouldn’t be so sure about Wilder necessarily believing he would be a big scorer.

A lot of Boro‘s transfers are dictated by the DOF Kieran Scott, not necessarily who the manager wants. Wilder gets some transfers of his choice, but the rest are Scott’s. We don’t know which category Emil falls into

Riis and Parrott can play together and should make a good complimentary partnership. The bottom line is that Riis is in poor form and was in pre season. Whether that's agent related or just his old confidence gremlins again we'll probably never know. He has done very little right for a good while now though and needs to sort himself out. He's not going anywhere and we won't be bringing anyone in so it's up to him.

Riis and Parrott can play together and should make a good complimentary partnership. The bottom line is that Riis is in poor form and was in pre season. Whether that's agent related or just his old confidence gremlins again we'll probably never know. He has done very little right for a good while now though and needs to sort himself out. He's not going anywhere and we won't be bringing anyone in so it's up to him.
Isn’t it very poor that we all universally believe that we won’t be bringing any more players in…..

The manager has been stating for months now that we need a new striker and a RWB but with only 9 days of the window left we all expect nothing to happen !!

Isn’t it very poor that we all universally believe that we won’t be bringing any more players in…..

The manager has been stating for months now that we need a new striker and a RWB but with only 9 days of the window left we all expect nothing to happen !!
It isn’t universal. I, for one, still believe that we will bring in a striker and RWB and keep Riis

I think the budget has been spent. People making references to the Trustees and the fixed annual amount left by TH. I think it's all gone and additional requests have been vetoed. Any loans will even come with a fee which will blow us out of the water. The difference this year is that Lowe won't accept any Murphy crap at 23:30 on deadline day, we just won't bring anyone in, unless there's a Robbo miracle. He doesn't love us enough to move here for a 50pc pay cut though.

Lowe seems to have accepted his lot for the year now and will hope to do more business next summer. Let's hope the final cherry on the cake doesn't relate to Fernandez' injury.

It isn’t universal. I, for one, still believe that we will bring in a striker and RWB and keep Riis
I really hope so. I'm clinging on to the possibility that the Riddler has adopted a negotiating position and intends to take it the 11th hour to get a good deal. We'll know soon enough.

I think I speak on behalf of everyone on PNE Online here, we want you.
Come on Ando we want you we need you tbh I think he could be the one to get us to prem league. Yes some might not agree but he could be the signing we need sign this Mom up UTW Daddyman ⚽️

I think I speak on behalf of everyone on PNE Online here, we want you.

.................................. in the name of all that's holy, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

It's Andy Saville syndrome. PNE fans are long term sufferers. Strikers need to be old school number 9's or they don't fit into what constitutes a good striker. That's despite the fact that last season in the prem the false number 9 was prevalent across most of the top teams.

Cross reference the lack of love for Riis with the over the top appreciation of what Ched Evans brings to the squad and you get my drift. Riis isn't an old school number 9 at all. For many, that means he's shit.

Half the forum is clamouring for Robinson's return, hardly an old school number 9 is he?

One 17 goal season in a career doesn't exonerate a player from the expectation of being able to control a football or maintain possession under pressure.

In my view he should be starting alongside Parrott, especially after they linked well against Wigan, but we've played much better with him sitting on the subs bench this season than when he has been on the field.

Fair enough, some good arguments there. I would argue (and this is a bit controversial) that when Riis was playing with Maguire he was almost playing as a lone striker and Seani played the number 10 role and just supported, it was when we actually got the best out of Riis. He can play it, just got to play to his strengths (running onto balls rather than back to goal) which is the age old problem we are going to have as Lowe prefers Parrot style strikers who hold it up. Again, I would probably just cash in now whilst we can if we aren't going to work to Riis' strengths.

I don't buy the 'its not that he doesn't rate him argument'. Some of his comments about Riis have suggested he just isn't his type of striker, his actions to drop him (as he did for spells last season in favour of Evans!? Or Archer, or now Parrot just suggest that) Just suggest that.

Some good points made. I really like Riis and hope we don’t sell him. And no I don’t think he is lowe’s type of striker. But that doesn’t mean he can’t develop his game so he can.

I can also see why Lowe gets frustrated with him. Yesterday for example he gets in the box wide of the goal and shoots. He did the exact same thing Tuesday night. Yes he might score but he needs to choose better options rather than shooting from an angle which is almost impossible to score from.

Yes he did very well for us last season. But there is huge room for improvements. His in game decision making and his link up play needs a lot of work. And that’s down to Lowe to get more out of him in this sense and it’s down to Riis to work harder on these things. He doesn’t need to be a ‘back to goal’ striker. Archer wasn’t and he did very well under Lowe.

I’m not buying the debate that he’s not Lowe’s type of striker and that’s that we should sell him. He got 17 goals at this level
Which is brilliant. His finishing and some the goals he scored was superb. But now he should be thinking how he gets to the next level? And if he goes right I’m on bench now that’s it I’m leaving he will never ever improve. But if he works on what he needs to focus on and look at improving he could be playing in the prem within 3 seasons.

If our own hat trick scorer had that chance DJ had against Rotherham, Preston would be 1-0 up and it would've been a different story.

Admit it 😉
It would, then we could have gone home, fed the pigs and watched them fly away.

STOP feeding him, we’ll never hear the end of it. You realise he scored that hat trick in 1937 don’t you.

Please.

Yes he has limitations that's why he's with us. Riis is an instinct finisher feeding off crosses and balls to run onto. He struggles with his back to goal, his first touch is hit and miss and his decision making I'd poor. Riis has had one good season. Lowe looks like he is focusing on possession so it looks as though Riis will struggle. I liken it to Paul Hayes when we signed him he was one of the best finishers around, then Phil brown got him and well yeah it all went wrong. Just a feeling Lowe man management of Riis isn't being handled the best.

Lowe at the fans forum said something along the lines he was giving Riis some "tough love".

However he's handling him it isn't working.

Like him or not the fact still remains he is our best hope & most regular supply of goals.