PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

January 2023 : Transfer Window Rumours and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alex Neil had us right at the top of the table playing “basic” football. We hoofed it forward to Hugill and had a goalscoring midfielder and two fast goalscoring wingers exploiting the space he created, we countered and pressed high. And it was a brilliant watch

This squad has no goalscoring midfielders and no pace. Only one player can cross a ball, so how do you expect us to make two physical strikers work? I’ve not issue with basic football. I’ve an issue with football that has no style at all

We do have midfielders well capable of scoring goals, several of them. Its a bit difficult for any one of them to score goals from over 40 yards though OR when we have gone forward so slowly we have given the opposition chance to get everyone behind the ball before we inevitably give it back to them.

Lack of pace is an issue with how we are trying to play now. Its an issue we have I agree but its a problem with any way you try to play at this level.

Ashley Barnes and Ched playing as a two up front.......would certainly soften up opposing defences and give defenders nightmares......but would they hit the net often enough to get us into the top 6?...

The "fan" shouldn't demand a certain brand of football it shouldn't matter how we play aslong as we win games, if you support a team the size of Preston for the best football on the planet then it's never going to happen.

I'm in no way defending the way this circus is run but it winds me up when people think they are entitled to a certain brand of football, all that matters is winning games.

if winning football is all you want then fuck off and watch Citeh then

Seriously hope we don’t bring in Barnes. Probably would guarantee I don’t bother getting a ST next year. Signing him would effectively guarantee we’re going with the “hoof it long to the big man and hope something falls for us” style, and I’m not paying money to watch that
I’m not sure what you have got against Barnes…

He scored two goals against the plastics only 7 weeks ago , so he can still cut it at this level….

He has got to be an upgrade on Maguire and Parrott…..

What about when you're repeatedly being told you're watching a certain brand of football when in fact it's absolutely nothing of the sort?
Again that's fine the person I quoted said they wouldn't watch us win promotion to the prem if we where playing hoofball. I'm not defending the way we play at all. But I think if we changed to a hoofball team and it worked and fans start to complain then it's ridiculous.

I think the Villa would’ve probably ‘advised’ him that Boro would be the better option for him, particularly if he’s to break into their first team. It’s in his best interest
Surely if you sign for an Agent, it's a bit of a two-way street - so Archer's obligated to go with the Agent's final 'recomendation' -  and let's run with going with/ assuming Boro's terms identically matching PNE's :- If that Agent gets a personal signing-on fee from Boro that's greater than what PNE bargained for - Archer's going to want to keep on the right side of his Agent.

We do have midfielders well capable of scoring goals, several of them. Its a bit difficult for any one of them to score goals from over 40 yards though OR when we have gone forward so slowly we have given the opposition chance to get everyone behind the ball before we inevitably give it back to them.

Lack of pace is an issue with how we are trying to play now. Its an issue we have I agree but its a problem with any way you try to play at this level.
And that’s precisely my point. Bring Barnes in, partner him with some pace and you’re laughing. Get Browne behind him to pick up the scraps and go for it

But championship level players with pace cost money that our owners will not pay. Try and play it long with our current lot and your big man loses the ball before the team lumbers forward for the lay off

Ashley Barnes and Ched playing as a two up front.......would certainly soften up opposing defences and give defenders nightmares......but would they hit the net often enough to get us into the top 6?...

Forget the top 6 @Morse, we'll be miles off no matter what we do.

I want us to survive and look a half decent option for someone that wants a club they think they can push on to better things.

Reactions: OB1
I’m not sure what you have got against Barnes…

He scored two goals against the plastics only 7 weeks ago , so he can still cut it at this level….

He has got to be an upgrade on Maguire and Parrott…..
I’ve nothing against Barnes (actually that’s a lie, I think he’s a nasty piece of work but I’ve got nothing against him as a player). It’s what his signing would indicate - more specifically that with our owners he’d likely be the only offensive signing bar an unproven kid

For Barnes or any other big forward player to work, the squad needs players to help him. Players we do not have

It’s all irrelevant, because there’s no solid link. I simply made a hypothetical comment that this poster clearly took to heart

At no point have I said we are winning at home. All I am saying is would it matter if we played hoofball and won most of our matches. OB said he wouldn't watch us even if we where near the top and playing hoofball.
But you said all that matters is winning games - my point was that we aren't even doing that, at home.

And that’s precisely my point. Bring Barnes in, partner him with some pace and you’re laughing. Get Browne behind him to pick up the scraps and go for it

But championship level players with pace cost money that our owners will not pay. Try and play it long with our current lot and your big man loses the ball before the team lumbers forward for the lay off
I agree with your last paragraph. I lost count of the times I yelled at the TV last week shouting “run for goodness sake” and “too damned slow AGAIN”. We are woeful in the pace department.

But you said all that matters is winning games - my point was that we aren't even doing that, at home.
I know. At no point have I said we where winning games. I said I wouldn't care if it was 90 minutes of hoofing the ball to Barnes aslong as we got the 3 points.

Just to rub salt in the wound , Bowler has rejoined Blackpool on loan….. they did one of their cheesy reveals on Twitter at 7-30pm….

I know. At no point have I said we where winning games. I said I wouldn't care if it was 90 minutes of hoofing the ball to Barnes aslong as we got the 3 points.
That’s the point neither would anyone else care if we got 3 points more often than not BUT WE DON’T which makes it boring.

The "fan" shouldn't demand a certain brand of football it shouldn't matter how we play aslong as we win games, if you support a team the size of Preston for the best football on the planet then it's never going to happen.

I'm in no way defending the way this circus is run but it winds me up when people think they are entitled to a certain brand of football, all that matters is winning games.
It’s all about priorities, and every fan will have a differing opinion.

Personally, I don’t give a shit what league we are in. I care more about being entertained, rather than winning at any cost. Currently, what’s on display achieves neither of these things.

Status
Not open for further replies.