PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Alan Spavin

A reference book I've come across states that Spavin made 424 league appearances for PNE. Great record for one of our best players.

These were my thoughts at the time when Alan Spavin passed away:

Alan Spavin really was PNE through and through - my all-time favourite player. Regardless of how well he was playing, he always showed for the ball with a unique head-up style when skillfully trapping the ball as he looked for the right pass. He had an interesting pirouette style tackle in his locker too, almost going to ground before coming up with the ball, opponent now behind him.

I am pleased at the number of supporters who speak of the Bury game - Spav must have been 35/36 then and past his prime. I was there too and saw his cultured passing and magnetism for the ball all returning in the first half as though he had never been away. In the second, not surprisingly, his legs went as this was his first league game for several years.

I watched Spav during the mid-late 60s as I moved into my early teens, weaned on a diet of games carefully chosen by my father to ensure enduring North End respect and support. Those games included beating Spurs in '66, drawing with a '66 Man U side sporting Best, Law, Charlton Stiles, narrowly losing to Spurs (we drew them in the cup several times in the 60s) - often producing a very high quality of football on par with esteemed opponents.

Spavin was at his best when craft was needed to unlock experienced opposition, although in the '70-71 season his ability was simply too much for any side in the old 3rd division.

He was devastated to eventually leave a local school liaison role (my memory doesn't recall the exact position) as part of a PNE cost cutting exercise and I was pleased to hear that in later years he and our club were reconciled.

Alan Spavin - wonderful to watch, one league club - ours, a credit to the game and PNE. RIP Alan

I watched Spav during the mid-late 60s as I moved into my early teens, weaned on a diet of games carefully chosen by my father to ensure enduring North End respect and support. Those games included beating Spurs in '66, drawing with a '66 Man U side sporting Best, Law, Charlton Stiles, narrowly losing to Spurs (we drew them in the cup several times in the 60s) - often producing a very high quality of football on par with esteemed opponents.

It was a shot by Alan Spavin that the Spurs keeper could only parry that led to our second goal against them in the 5th Round match in 66 and an interchange between Spavin and Alex Dawson that led to out goal in the 6th Round draw at our place against Man Utd. Just an absolute all-time great of PNE.

I was behind the goals on the old Town End when Spavin scored from that free kick when they put some of our own players in front of Rotherhams wall. And the crowd went wild... 28,000 on and getting crushed.. Great memories of Alan who was indeed one of the best midfielders in that division. Great vision for passing..

Just been chatting with my dad and he was saying when he first moved to Preston he used to go on and was talking about Alan Spavin.

Says he used to here loads of grumbling from our lot because he wasnt a flash harry but that he used to completely dictate the way we played and was prepared to slow the game down when needed.

My question is this: does anyone know when he made his debut and how accurate is my old fella's memory ?
He wasnt flash, but he was effective....... although your Dad is right - he split opinion.

He scored two of our three goals when we beat Rotherham in May 1971 to clinch the Division 3 title..... I was there on that wonderful night

i remember many years after he retired, i was playing for BAE against Preston supporters club at Willow Farm - he was 40 and i was 20

he picked up the ball on the half way line went past me like i didnt exist and hit one into the top corner from 30 years out !!!

He wasnt flash, but he was effective....... although your Dad is right - he split opinion.

He scored two of our three goals when we beat Rotherham in May 1971 to clinch the Division 3 title..... I was there on that wonderful night

i remember many years after he retired, i was playing for BAE against Preston supporters club at Willow Farm - he was 40 and i was 20

he picked up the ball on the half way line went past me like i didnt exist and hit one into the top corner from 30 years out !!!
30 yards out of course.....

Was chippy Clark playing in that Rotherham match to clinch the title (1971), does anyone know? My memory says that I saw him charging down the left wing from the Kop and crossing it in (several times) but is that right ?

Was chippy Clark playing in that Rotherham match to clinch the title (1971), does anyone know? My memory says that I saw him charging down the left wing from the Kop and crossing it in (several times) but is that right ?
I think he was.... number 11 on his back

He did - I think he scored our third goal.

Wasn`t Spavin still around then?

All a bit vague in my mind now but I think Burns was ex-Man U, and one criticism I distinctly remember was the feeling that Nobby Stiles was too loyal to some of the old guard from his old club.

Stand to be corrected, but pretty sure both played in 77/78.
You're right that they played together for PNE, but it must have been 1973-1974.

Franny Burns played for PNE 1973-1981 (born October 1948)
Alan Spavin played for PNE until 1974 (born Feb 1942)

I certainly remember them playing together. Spavin was class but his legs were going by then.

I was behind the goals on the old Town End when Spavin scored from that free kick when they put some of our own players in front of Rotherhams wall. And the crowd went wild... 28,000 on and getting crushed.. Great memories of Alan who was indeed one of the best midfielders in that division. Great vision for passing..
Yep... a kind of Trevor Brooking style if my memory serves me right

You're right that they played together for PNE, but it must have been 1973-1974.

Franny Burns played for PNE 1973-1981 (born October 1948)
Alan Spavin played for PNE until 1974 (born Feb 1942)

I certainly remember them playing together. Spavin was class but his legs were going by then.

Just looked it up....my memory is better than I thought, and is spot on! He DID play later. This must be when I remember the complaints re Burns and Spavin...

`After relegation to the third tier a few years earlier, Spavin captained North End to a title win in 1971 and was named the division’s player of the year. He also scored twice on the final day of that season as North End beat Rotherham, a title-clinching victory.
Spavin was also granted a testimonial match that year against Manchester City.
The highly regarded midfielder left for a couple of years in 1973, joining forces with Washington Diplomats in the USA.
He returned to Lancashire a few years later, however, playing seven more matches for PNE across the 1977/78 and 1978/79 seasons.`

Spav was one of my favourite players in the team which included Lawton, Kelly, Dawson, Wilson etc. etc.

RIP Mr Spavin and thanks for the memories.

Kelly
Ross, Smith
Lawton, Singleton, Kendall
Wilson, Ashworth, Dawson, Spavin, Holden

FA Cup Final team 1964 - only Dave 'Tug' Wilson, Alex 'The Black Prince' Dawson and Doug Holden still with us.

Son not so nice, I'm afraid. Drunk driver who killed a young mother and badly injured her daughter, sadly only got 5 years inside, probably served 2 or 3
Sorry just read this (working a lot recently).
He had 2 sons, one I referred to (David) was not the Drunk Driver.
I think the other one was (also) called Alan and is no longer with us. If I remember rightly he took his own life due to the guilt.
Sorry I had forgotten about that but would not want to implicate David in my original comment.

I lived next door to his son David in the early 2000's and he was generally ok, although funnily enough, he used to complain about my son playing football in the back garden! I didn't know about his drink driving crash. Really shocked by that.
Sorry don't want to dwell on this but Spav had 2 sons, it wasn't David in Drink Driving tragedy.