PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Are we not getting the context of the division? (Every game is terrible?)

Before I start, I am with you. I've started doing light weight life admin during PNE TV performances it's so fucking dull.

My question is, is it just the whole league? I'm just reading the room as I see it: Footage of frustrated Stoke fans smashing pies looking bored as fuck (and rightly so), Neil getting a ton of shit on their messageboards the other day for the brand of long ball nonsense. Burnley looked dull as hell against us and a dingle at work says he is so happy he didn't get a season ticket. Another mate of mine is a Rovers ST holder who, despite their lofty position thinks they've been both lucky and boring as hell. Teams like Swansea playing a nonsense style of passing out ball. Like last season, there seems very few goals in the championship each game or so it seems (@Thracia normally 'fact checks' me here when I make statements based on fuck all evidence and that's totally fair😂)

My question is, is any Championship fan enjoying their footy at the minute? Are we being harsh on our bargain bucket squad for the lack of entertainment? Are watching too much prem football? (Liverpool Leicester was like a different sport the other night.).

I watch pretty much every televised championship game, and we have less quality than most teams. Almost every team has that one player that looks like they will create something on the ball and the fans are eager to see. Some teams have multiple. We have absolutely none

There’s also some teams who clearly think they’re better than they are. Swansea being the most obvious, rovers and Watford too

Before I start, I am with you. I've started doing light weight life admin during PNE TV performances it's so fucking dull.

My question is, is it just the whole league? I'm just reading the room as I see it: Footage of frustrated Stoke fans smashing pies looking bored as fuck (and rightly so), Neil getting a ton of shit on their messageboards the other day for the brand of long ball nonsense. Burnley looked dull as hell against us and a dingle at work says he is so happy he didn't get a season ticket. Another mate of mine is a Rovers ST holder who, despite their lofty position thinks they've been both lucky and boring as hell. Teams like Swansea playing a nonsense style of passing out ball. Like last season, there seems very few goals in the championship each game or so it seems (@Thracia normally 'fact checks' me here when I make statements based on fuck all evidence and that's totally fair😂)

My question is, is any Championship fan enjoying their footy at the minute? Are we being harsh on our bargain bucket squad for the lack of entertainment? Are watching too much prem football? (Liverpool Leicester was like a different sport the other night.).
Think youve pretty much nailed it TBH.

To be fair, it is way overpriced and the players are paid far too much for the quality on show. Thank SKY for that.
Totally agree. When I took her to her first game she started asking questions like 'so...are these lads professionals at this? They aren't like postmen in real life?' or 'so why don't they just control the ball if this is their full time job?'. All totally fair questions. I find it strange the Championship superstars like Toney and Mitrovic make their mark in the prem. The gulf is insane

I watch pretty much every televised championship game, and we have less quality than most teams. Almost every team has that one player that looks like they will create something on the ball and the fans are eager to see. Some teams have multiple. We have absolutely none

There’s also some teams who clearly think they’re better than they are. Swansea being the most obvious, rovers and Watford too

Fair dues, I must confess I never do but I watch a lot of prem as a neutral. I can see how we are lower tier. Are any games thrilling though? I was on the edge of my seat watching Liverpool Leicester the other night and have no affection for either.

Fair dues, I must confess I never do but I watch a lot of prem as a neutral. I can see how we are lower tier. Are any games thrilling though? I was on the edge of my seat watching Liverpool Leicester the other night and have no affection for either.
No. They’re cagey affairs that have a few moments of individual brilliance in them

Whereas ours are cagey affairs without the individual brilliance. Our goals come from hard work or opposition mistakes instead. But that only gets you so far

I watched QPR V Luton last week and it was awful. QPR looked nothing like the team that played us.

The whole league is pretty dire and let’s be honest any team that goes up will need 24 new players. None of ours could play in the premier league.

I think you've pretty much nailed it.

I struggle to watch other championship games, I usually end up turning it off.

I know a lot of Burnley and Blackburn fans and despite them both, especially Burnley, having a great season so far. They aren't exactly pleased with the football on show.

I remember a while back on @FTF how @baysidepne explained really well how so many games are decided by a single goal and are often an attritional scrap.

There is so little separating the majority of teams in the league. I think it's a really hard and long slog every year which makes me more annoyed when we don't invest in the squad to give ourselves the chance to have a proper go.

On the whole I think the championship is a lot pooer than it was 10 years ago. Passing and fitness levels may have gone up but they've led to tippy-tappy shite where each team makes 50 passes without having a shot before the other team does the exact same.

Players are now athletes, pitches are now bowling greens. Wingers and strikers have been replaced with "forwards" who are often judged on how much they "track back" and "press" than on attacking.

On the whole I think the championship is a lot pooer than it was 10 years ago. Passing and fitness levels may have gone up but they've led to tippy-tappy shite where each team makes 50 passes without having a shot before the other team does the exact same.

Players are now athletes, pitches are now bowling greens. Wingers and strikers have been replaced with "forwards" who are often judged on how much they "track back" and "press" than on attacking.

Its harder for mediocre attackers to make an impression when teams are better organised, and defenders aren't just big lumps. The likes of Lindsay are now the exception rather than the rule.

No. They’re cagey affairs that have a few moments of individual brilliance in them

Whereas ours are cagey affairs without the individual brilliance. Our goals come from hard work or opposition mistakes instead. But that only gets you so far

Fair dues. In fact thinking about it, I thought WBA under the new manager were impressive. He's a Bielsa student isn't he? In a year they could be pretty thrilling.

I watched QPR V Luton last week and it was awful. QPR looked nothing like the team that played us.

The whole league is pretty dire and let’s be honest any team that goes up will need 24 new players. None of ours could play in the premier league.
Cardiff v QPR boxing day was rubbish as well some QPR fans thought they would get few results after beating us at Deepdale before Xmas.

Fair dues. In fact thinking about it, I thought WBA under the new manager were impressive. He's a Bielsa student isn't he? In a year they could be pretty thrilling.
He will have them in the mix for promotion now or definitely next season. He has all the attributes to succeed. Tactically very interesting. I'm sure @oli_oconnell if he is still active on here would have some insights on his professional blog

Absolutely 100% this.

There are teams like us who set up more than others not to lose but a lot of the time tactics stifle the limited quality in the division. On sky news earlier they were saying that Norwich v Watford was awful (at half time at least). If those two can’t be entertaining it says it all.

I don’t think the bigger squads and more subs in the prem has helped the championship. But I also think the use of technology for tactical purposes these days has levelled the averages and even prevents flair or individuals from flourishing.