PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Attacking Brand

We were all expecting Cameron Archer mark2.
I think there's an element of truth to this - people started believing we could just loan any Prem player and they'll instantly blow the Championship away.

We're now finding out what happens when you base your entire striker transfer policy on a Prem loan, but sign a clunker.

Genuinely shocked you saw it that way. I love DJ but he was appalling last night and his negligence in terms of positioning/tracking was becoming a liability.

Well it seems likely I have got it wrong! Maybe it was confirmation bias... I saw him doing some excellent work early on, and just tended to notice the good stuff. If I need an excuse, I did have a little one climbing on me annoyingly rather a lot :D.

Frankly I just don't think his system works if we want to be an attacking team. Obviously we are very solid defensively and well organised but we are absolutely toothless up front because we have no width so every move just gets cut out when they have no options to release the ball out wide and Riis is being marked out of the game by the centre back. I just don't like any team that doesn't play with out and out wingers, and wingbacks do not count as they cannot get into attacking positions in this system as we play quite cautious defensively. Look at the goals we scored against huddersfield, we need a player in the positions that Fernandez was taking up on the left wing putting balls into the box for somebody like McCann to run on to but last night we had nobody getting in those sort of positions for the whole of the 90 minutes. I also think it would benefit Riis to have two wingers supplying crosses for him because obviously his ability to control the ball or run with it is pretty much non existent, he is an out and out finisher and nothing more, and a very good one, but he is getting zero service right now.

Frankly I just don't think his system works if we want to be an attacking team. Obviously we are very solid defensively and well organised but we are absolutely toothless up front because we have no width so every move just gets cut out when they have no options to release the ball out wide and Riis is being marked out of the game by the centre back. I just don't like any team that doesn't play with out and out wingers, and wingbacks do not count as they cannot get into attacking positions in this system as we play very defensively. Look at the goals we scored against huddersfield, we need a player in the positions that Fernandez was taking up on the left wing putting balls into the box for somebody like McCann to run on to but last night we had nobody getting in those sort of positions for the whole of the 90 minutes. I also think it would benefit Riis to have two wingers supplying crosses for him because obviously his ability to control the ball or run with it is pretty much non existent, he is an out and out finisher and nothing more, and a very good one, but he is getting zero service right now.
He's never going to change his formation so pointless going on about it...there are obvious flaws to it but he's not going to change cos of what fans say on here

Well it seems likely I have got it wrong! Maybe it was confirmation bias... I saw him doing some excellent work early on, and just tended to notice the good stuff. If I need an excuse, I did have a little one climbing on me annoyingly rather a lot :D.
I think I would have happily taken the distraction last night! 🙂

The most striking thing about that xG chart to me, is how poor quality almost all those "chances" are (indicated by the tiny little circles).

It's really just 2 decent chances in 750 minutes.

I consider the stat to be a load of bollocks personally mate. It's a complete fad.
All I'll say is I'd expect a decent striker to be scoring a few with that many chances inside the box.

If PNE had spent £750k on signing a 20 year old striker with a 1 goal every 5 games record in League 1, plenty of people would have been voicing their concerns about gambling a sizeable chunk of our low transfer budget on such a risky permanent signing.

Yet, if we paid that sort of loan fee to Spurs, that is pretty much what we did with Parrott, only we've only got him for a year.

Last season in League 1 he went on a run of 23 league games without a goal. That's got to be in his head now that he has started all nine of our league games and not scored.

We need to try Maguire with Riis for a few games to see if someone can start to find Emil with the right sort of pass.

He's never going to change his formation so pointless going on about it...there are obvious flaws to it but he's not going to change cos of what fans say on here
I know that he won't change it and ultimately that will probably be his downfall but Fernandez looked like he could truly be excellent playing further forward and it's a shame we won't see him playing there much this season.

I consider the stat to be a load of bollocks personally mate. It's a complete fad.
All I'll say is I'd expect a decent striker to be scoring a few with that many chances inside the box.
Well, I wouldn't, because the size of the dots indicates how good the chances were, and clearly almost all of them were shitty chances.

None in the 6-yard box either, which seems anomalous for such an Attacking Brand™ of football as ours.

I’d be giving Brady a run in the midfield as he has more of a creative spark and can see a pass - his crosses are wasted on strikers shit in the air. He also has a decent shot on him.

We do play the ball in to the strikers but there touch is often really shit.

This also allows us to give Fernandez a run

I think there's an element of truth to this - people started believing we could just loan any Prem player and they'll instantly blow the Championship away.

We're now finding out what happens when you base your entire striker transfer policy on a Prem loan, but sign a clunker.
I find this staggering based on one good half-season. If you look back at our PL loans for the forward positions since returning to the Championship it's been pretty dire - Keane, Mavididi, Nmecha, then could we even count Green, Gordon & Murphy?

I'd say we struck lucky with Archer, as we do once every few seasons. Other obvious exceptions to the disappointing loans are McGeady (although many thought he was finished so I don't think there was much expectation despite him always being a quality player) & then Robinson (already well-settled at the club after the spell in L1 so we knew what we were getting).

Maybe let's get our hopes up for the 2024/25 season :)

Little bit of a pattern emerging with some reactions to the manager last night. Same pattern as the previous manager, the one before, the one before.. not supportered, fans turn on them.

Didn't adapt following of a lack of backing from above.

Hope RL can find a way and doesn't go all stubborn on us.

I mean the bloke plays 352 yet we didn't sign a RWB.

The lack of signing a striker was negligent.
We needed a minimum of 2 players before the Window closed, it did not happen. RL in the main does not want to change from his preferred wingback formation, yet the players at his disposal struggle to play in an attacking and creative style playing this formation, our lack of goals after 9 games must be a real concern.
The plus side is that in playing this way we are defensively more solid.but when you have 8 and 9 outfield players behind the ball which we had on many occasions last night then we should be rock solid.
With not getting the signings he required, he's not going to come out in the press and say how disappointed and let down he feels he's been by the powers that be, even if he does?
Perhaps he has decided just to set us up to make it as difficult as possible for the opposition to create chances and score, no matter how that effects our attacking play. Then hoping we can grab an odd goal and hang on to a 1-0 win, if not we end up with a draw and a point. A pretty uninspiring season very few great wins but not many defeats, lots of draws and a low to mid table finish.
Proving a point to CH and the Hemmings family that if they do have any aspirations of grandure then better investment is required,.
RL also comes out of the season with a reasonable record as a manager, perhaps giving him other management options. 🤔

I know that he won't change it and ultimately that will probably be his downfall but Fernandez looked like he could truly be excellent playing further forward and it's a shame we won't see him playing there much this season.
Maybe he could just tinker with it and do 3 - 4 - 3...but with this you would need some exceptional fit/fast players in that 4 plus there wouldn't be as much cover for the defence

Failing to back Lowe means its very hard to blame him at this point. Its not like he wanted unreasonable things, just the players he was given the green light for.

People can argue about formations or attacking brand.

But we don’t have the players to change formation. We don’t have players to change it front the bench. Plus we must be the slowest team in the league.

That’s isn’t lowe’s fault. It’s peters and Craig’s.

Once again people are pointing the finger at the manager. Alex Neil was wasted because we failed to back him. Frankie wasn’t even given a chance because of the abysmal recruitment. And the only money we have spent under Lowe is a goalkeeper.

We will never ever get promotion unless we as a club change. Managers will come and go unfortunately the people that we need fucking off wont.

Well, I wouldn't, because the size of the dots indicates how good the chances were, and clearly almost all of them were shitty chances.

None in the 6-yard box either, which seems anomalous for such an Attacking Brand™ of football as ours.

I'll believe what I've seen with my own eyes. That boy has had some decent chances.