PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Attacking Brand

I think blaming the strikers for our lack of goals is far too simplistic. The system and ill fitting personnel in key areas is what is causing our problems. Along with an across the board lack of confidence in the opposition half.

The likes of McCann, Johnson, Woodburn, Whiteman, Ledson. 24 shots on goal combined. 3 on target.

We looked more creative with DJ at left wingback last season (albeit in some dead rubbers) and I don't recall him booming high balls into the box from deep positions.

I know, it sounds daft but I think we would be better off with Brady inside and DJ at LWB, even though it goes totally against their 'natural' positions. DJ was very good there and has some pace to get to the byline, Brady doesn't.

Brady can cross from deep all season long, it doesn't matter how good the balls in are, Riis and Parrot won't score from them, they aren't that type of striker. Someone like Andy Carroll would have been perfect for that.

Its really frustrating but it just looks like the personnel we have now and the system the manager wants to play just doesn't click going forward but is mega solid defensively. I do think they can shift them around and make it work though.

Yep, the "possession game" is what I see a lot of other Championship teams doing very well, but us not very well at all. Without the players to do it well, we can't just decide (as we seem to have done) to play that way regardless, it doesn't work.

In possession, we're often stuck in that familiar side-to-side and forward-to-back paralysis, dropping deeper and deeper when we're supposed to be moving forwards, until Brady booms one of his easily-mopped-up crosses in from miles out. There's just no end product to our "possession game", except at best winning a set piece.

And when we counter-attack (which is rare, because the better Championship teams don't leave themselves vulnerable to it too often), we have so little pace in the squad that we can't do it in numbers, so we're really just hoping to create a one-on-one for a striker, then hoping he scores from it.

When he doesn't, we get shrugs post-match that we simply need to be more clinical, which is exactly what Frankie used to say.
We don't have the players to play to the current system, the current formation, we do not have centre backs who can play out from the back, we do not have wing backs who have pace, can get up and down, go past a man get out wide and get round the back of the defence to put in a telling Cross.
Our midfield no matter how you chop and change it struggle to adapt to the current system it's seems alien to them.
All of this leads to a lack of decent supply to our forwards, who continue to struggle with the poor service and their confidence is dropping with every game.
Yes defensively we are compact, rigid, strong and hard to break down, but that's because we have so many players back behind the ball and defend so deep.
If we want to become any sort of an attacking force, something needs to change, is RL prepared to accept this or will we continue with the uninspiring spectacle we are witnessing more and more. 🤔🙄

Basically, I think it is imperative we have at least one of the wing backs on the pitch one that is forward thinking and get past his man to the byline. Otherwise we're just a solid as fuck unit with a totally isolated front man. Hence why we have hardly conceded but hardly scored any goals.

Interesting interview with Riis in the LEP. Basically he was happy to leave and wanted to go. He wasn’t getting the games here and wanted to leave so he could play week in week out. Now he’s playing again he’s happy here and glad to stay. I just hope he gets a goal or two soon otherwise we’ll look a bit silly for not accepting the offer as we wont get anywhere near that kind of money again come the summer.

I think blaming the strikers for our lack of goals is far too simplistic. The system and ill fitting personnel in key areas is what is causing our problems. Along with an across the board lack of confidence in the opposition half.

The likes of McCann, Johnson, Woodburn, Whiteman, Ledson. 24 shots on goal combined. 3 on target.

We looked more creative with DJ at left wingback last season (albeit in some dead rubbers) and I don't recall him booming high balls into the box from deep positions.

I think our finishing is abysmal across the team.

Average shots to goals conversion rate in the league is 8.3%. We have the lowest conversion ratio of 2.6%. We are over 3 times less likely to convert our chances and 5 times less likely to convert than the best at converting - Bristol City.

It makes no difference who is on the end of the chances we create - they still aren't scoring.

I'm certainly not hoodwinked by such gestures but neither do I blame him for the current situation given the striking options at his disposal.
True, if it wasn’t for Lowe , it sounds like we would have lost Riis on deadline day…..

True, if it wasn’t for Lowe , it sounds like we would have lost Riis on deadline day…..
Or was it the manager trying to generate interest in him knowing there was no funds in the pot for his short-term targets

Suspect one of us is near correct, both are hideous

I can’t believe I am saying this but maybe we need to try the “ fit again “ Maguire to see if he gives us anything upfront….

He couldn’t do any worse than Parrot , surely..

Last run he had he scored nothing...but Riis scored loads. It completely makes sense as out of the four strikers it's the only proven partnership. we're not helping Parrot by just starting him every game.

Last run he had he scored nothing...but Riis scored loads. It completely makes sense as out of the four strikers it's the only proven partnership. we're not helping Parrot by just starting him every game.
Not only that but Parrot must be due a rest…..

I think there's an element of truth to this - people started believing we could just loan any Prem player and they'll instantly blow the Championship away.

We're now finding out what happens when you base your entire striker transfer policy on a Prem loan, but sign a clunker.
Some gambles are lucky (Archer), the one from Spurs - we lucked out.
The one from Utd.... we could be on a winner;- the signs aren't bad - but ovs. ain't a striker.🤔