PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Can anyone defend him now?

Should Alex Neil be sacked?

• Yes - Immediately

Votes: 259 79.9%
  • Yes - In the Summer

Votes: 37 11.4%
  • No

Votes: 28 8.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What you post does is highlight just how bad our record is against this season.

I think its slightly harsh to judge him on this season and overall the job he's done at Wycombe has been great. They all work their backsides off for him, he plays a style which suits his players which had been found out in the championship (against every manager but ours).

I like Gareth and whilst I think he could give us a bit of a jolt in the short term but agree long-term he isn't what we need.

!00% this for me.

GA would right up there in my favourite all time North Enders & yes there would be a prolonged honeymoon period where he could do no wring in a lot of folks eyes cos of who he is.

Is he a better manager than AN? Probably not. Will he be in the long term? Who knows? TBH I wouldn't be giving him the job to find out.

As much as AN is very much in the last chance saloon & a change is needed either now or in the summer is GA the answer? Not for me.

They can't until pre season.

Remember Fergy Jr getting sacked, daddy & his pal recalled 5 players. Two from Stoke & two Man Ure, de Laet & King they OK recalling according to the rules. Matty James though was on a season long loan & they had no right to recall. There was talk of a legal battle but sod all was done by the authorities.

I've voted "Yes - In The Summer" purely on the basis o=that I don't think TH will press the panic button unless we look like going down.

Still don't think we will but many more performances like yesterday & we could be in trouble.

Hemmings's wage structure still isn't in line with what it should be

Interesting comment on the back of the release of PNE's Audited Accounts this week. I would say our wage bill is a problem as things stand given the gap between income and expenditure. The issue for me is not getting value for money out of the wage bill. I would rather see a smaller squad of better quality which potentially gives an opportunity to pay selected players more. That said extended contracts for Browne and Johnson are not proving a good argument for this approach.

It’s all gone very quiet from that fella who usually has a lot to say for himself. You know the one I mean, wears a long blue PNE coat and looks a bit like a football manager? Isn’t he head of recruitment or something like that?

I can’t see AN turning this around now, so a fresh start would probably be best for both sides.

Rarely have I seen a north end side look so disorganised, demotivated and unsure about what they’re supposed to be doing. I’m sure AN wants to fix it, but he doesn’t know how to. Odd team selections, too much emphasis on adapting to suit the opposition and inconsistent tactics are just making it worse. Time to go, sadly.
People on this forum seem to know AN is leaving in the summer. If people on here seem to know, which I find hard to believe, I’m pretty sure AN knows and the players know. I don’t buy the players aren’t playing for him. Every interview with players indicates they like playing for him.

If I knew by boss was off in the summer and this throws my future potentially in to doubt would I be 100% committed to the task? No not at all.

it’s just another slant that could or couldn’t be going on. If he’s going in the summer. Get rid now. Makes no sense. If he’s stopping indicate he is and we have to move on. PR is happy to interview about VAT and furlough. Let’s have something that gives us hope for next season. Covid has changed a lot and there won’t be the rush to get back on I personally think.

Ainsworth would be more of the same. He has worked a great counter attacking game at Wycombe where they surrender possession and stay organised, hitting on the break. Our problem is that this is all we are good at and everyone has worked it out a long time ago.

We would probably continue to beat the Rovers of this world and lose to the Rotherhams/Wycombes.

I loved Ainsworth as a player. I remember when he came back from Wimbledon under Kelham O'Hanlon and created a riotous atmosphere against Cov: blood pissing out of his head, a MOTM performance where we won 4-0 and one of their fans running onto the pitch to confront their player manager. It was chaos. Beautiful chaos. That, for me, was a fitting last chapter for a club legend. Let's not spoil it.
On reflection, you’re right. I think it was my heart ruling my head, Not forgetting the bottle Rioja I helped Mrs LiS polish off. :)

Remember Fergy Jr getting sacked, daddy & his pal recalled 5 players. Two from Stoke & two Man Ure, de Laet & King they OK recalling according to the rules. Matty James though was on a season long loan & they had no right to recall. There was talk of a legal battle but sod all was done by the authorities.
The rules have changed since then. In those days we could loan players at any time up to the March deadline for varying periods. Clubs could also recall players at any time too, unless the loan contract prohibited it.

Interesting comment on the back of the release of PNE's Audited Accounts this week. I would say our wage bill is a problem as things stand given the gap between income and expenditure. The issue for me is not getting value for money out of the wage bill. I would rather see a smaller squad of better quality which potentially gives an opportunity to pay selected players more. That said extended contracts for Browne and Johnson are not proving a good argument for this approach.
Yes, I would too but there's always the argument for what would happen in a potential injury crisis? At the same time I do agree, a smaller squad with more quality

I voted yes- immediately.

Best thing for club, manager and fans alike.

Feels a bit like having a pet you can't quite let go of but you know it's time.

End of the season for me. Gives the new lad a chance to properly assess options and make the change over summer.

Despite the crowing of a large group of supporters, he's been a very good manager for us, and in my view deserves to see out the season.

I dont think installing Gally as a player manager would have much, if any, impact on results. From top to bottom, there is a massive fatigue about the club and hopefully big changes both on and off the field will occur in the close season

That is true but totally different now then it was then. Short term loans - 1 month, 2 months etc are a thing of the past. Now loans are only made in the transfer windows. You can recall season loans in january tranfer windows - just thinking of jordan pickford. But apart from that loans can't be recalled unless there is an injury crisis and the player isn't playing at all. I may be wrong but i think it's pretty guaranteed that Iverson won't be recalled.

I think that the difference with Matty James was that his was a youth loan and they had a different set of rules?

I also think its time.

One point of note is however - even Norwich have lost 5 games. Lots of other teams have lost 11 games and a few (now including us) have lost 18.

covid / no fans had made for a very weird season

End of the road, nothing to build on.
When a tooth is rotten you remove it quickly as you can. You don't move on day to day in pain. We’re all hurting here! this team and management are finished. Thank for everything Neil but do the honourable thing for the thousands of suffering fans.
Great analogy......

End of the season for me. Gives the new lad a chance to properly assess options and make the change over summer.

Despite the crowing of a large group of supporters, he's been a very good manager for us, and in my view deserves to see out the season.

I dont think installing Gally as a player manager would have much, if any, impact on results. From top to bottom, there is a massive fatigue about the club and hopefully big changes both on and off the field will occur in the close season

I get what you're saying but the team selection is so flat. Must be an awful atmosphere to work under. Bayliss (or anyone on the fringes) could put four worldies away in training matches and know they have absolutely no chance to get a sniff ahead of Browne, Maguire or Potts. We do need to start working towards next season and that means getting some game time for the younger players who never get a chance.

The stand off between Hemmings and Neil is dragging OUR club through the mud and quite possibly doing years worth of damage

Neil has no affinity to Preston North End and he will happily move on to another club when he is paid off...

He has to go now before the team ends up getting relegated and starting next year in League 1

We will continue to follow our beloved football club through thick and thin but he will be long gone