PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Carlo Nash

Nothing to do with the defence when he was letting 35 yard opportunistic efforts go past his flailing arms time after time.

Credit where it’s due, his shot stopping was pretty decent.

Catching, commanding his area and saving anything from outside the 18 yard box and he was useless.

He was poor in that relegation season. Seemed incapable of saving anything hit from outside the box.

Excellent at times prior to that and looked destined for the very top prior to the knee injury. Made the best save I’ve ever seen in the warm-up at QPR one year.

Was at Cov for his debut in 2000. Did nothing wrong but ran into Aloisi having a blinder.

He was coming off a bad injury though and hadn't played in two years and Chilvers and St Ledger certainly never had as much confidence in him as Nash so was a gamble that didn't come off.

Just look at some of the results after Nash left that January:

Cardiff 4-1 PNE
Hull 2-0 PNE
Leeds 2-1 PNE
Palace 3-0 PNE
PNE 2-3 Southend (final nail in play off challenge that one)
Plymouth 2-0 PNE

Defence was still very solid first half of the season even though there were big changes at CB from under Davies. Up to start of December team only conceded more than one goal on 3 occasions.
Wasn’t Chilvers’s injury a pivotal moment as well or was that a different season?

The real story apparently

It's odd that he says there was 'no platform' at the time where he could express his views because I seem to recall him having quite a lot to say to the press. Only last month, an article in Lancashire Live had these quotes, which I assume are taken from a LEP report of the time:

"I want to play in the Premiership again, I'm 33 and I'm not getting any younger".

"Preston are third in the Championship and flying high, but there are still no guarantees we are going to get promoted. I just see this as a great opportunity for me and a good thing financially for the club as well. It's been a real struggle for me over the last six months or so being separated from my family".

That doesn't quite tally with what he's saying now - that if NE had offered him a new contract he would have been happy to stay and that being nearer his girlfriend wasn't that big a deal.

I'm certainly no Derek Shaw apologist but neither am I convinced that Nash isn't trying to revise history a little here.

It's odd that he says there was 'no platform' at the time where he could express his views because I seem to recall him having quite a lot to say to the press. Only last month, an article in Lancashire Live had these quotes, which I assume are taken from a LEP report of the time:

"I want to play in the Premiership again, I'm 33 and I'm not getting any younger".

"Preston are third in the Championship and flying high, but there are still no guarantees we are going to get promoted. I just see this as a great opportunity for me and a good thing financially for the club as well. It's been a real struggle for me over the last six months or so being separated from my family".

That doesn't quite tally with what he's saying now - that if NE had offered him a new contract he would have been happy to stay and that being nearer his girlfriend wasn't that big a deal.

I'm certainly no Derek Shaw apologist but neither am I convinced that Nash isn't trying to revise history a little here.
I’m with you. I think there’s some wistful reminiscing from him here that is perhaps slightly disingenuous.

In terms of those comments you’ve highlighted though, they may have been made to better facilitate a move away from the club after having been messed around by the board. Perhaps he felt his situation was a hopeless one and he was just trying everything he could to get out of it, even if some of it was fabrication (girlfriend stuff) just to alert clubs he was available.

He was poor in that relegation season. Seemed incapable of saving anything hit from outside the box.

Excellent at times prior to that and looked destined for the very top prior to the knee injury. Made the best save I’ve ever seen in the warm-up at QPR one year.

Was at Cov for his debut in 2000. Did nothing wrong but ran into Aloisi having a blinder.
🤣

Wasn’t Chilvers’s injury a pivotal moment as well or was that a different season?

He did his achilles the next season IIRC.

Your thinking was right though as just checked and McKenna last played that season at end of Feb in 4-1 defeat at Cardiff so that was a big blow with midfield balance not quite right after (possibly why Simpson was looking to get Danny Murphy in that January).

This might be the Lonners thread you have in mind? Drinking in Lancaster the night before a reserve game he played in?

https://www.pne-online.net/forum/in...in-lancaster-played-for-reserves-today.50869/

That's the one . Well found Spav.. Great thread with one of Lonners mates and brother defending him. His mate got banned eventually but they must have been peeved to come on here and bother. I've never seen so much fuss over a beer in my life. There were some very righteous NorthEnders having a pop on that thread ( Shakys vendetta against Lonnergan was on a par with Marsbars and Robinson) but I suspect it was more an excuse to have a go at Lonners rather than the fact that he had a bottle 12 hours before a game he didn't even know he was playing in until a few hours before kick off. He even kept a clean sheet but still got abused!! :)

I know Lonnergan had his faults but the amount of stick he received was completely over the top. The main accusation was that he didn't command his box very well ( which he didn't ). Nothings changed ever since though. I can't think of a keeper (other than Herman and Maxwell) that doesn't remain rooted to their lines. I'm still convinced that is down to the coaching staff.

Thanks for finding it.

Not really, in the latest interview he said Fulham came in for him, said he'd be number one there and they were solid mid table prem team at the time. I mean two years later they were playing Uefa cup final under Hodgson with Mark Schwarzer who was even older than Nash when they signed him I think (very good keeper though). With his GF London based I could fully understand why he'd want to go.

Where he was unhappy is club decided after that move broke down he'd just be warming the bench and basically wanted to get him out of the club whereas he was happy to stay and play out the season. I doubt just warming the bench at likes of Wigan and Norwich is what he do for later part of his career so that's his frustration.

Those Welsh cunts better not throw a spanner in the works here.

Rotherham have missed plenty of chances to put the game to bed.