PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

CFL bulbs

deany

Patron
I work for a very reputable lighting company and I'm hearing the market trends suggest these type of bulbs are dying off and being replaced....

Good news for all I would suggest since they contain mercury and Phosphorous.... don't break one whatever you do!

I work for a very reputable lighting company and I'm hearing the market trends suggest these type of bulbs are dying off and being replaced....

Good news for all I would suggest since they contain mercury and Phosphorous.... don't break one whatever you do!

I fondly recall those heady days when you could go to b and q and buy a bulb .

You now need a science degree and infinite patience.

Just replacing a load of bulbs with LED's at the moment. I'm yet to see proof they save money but they certainly last longer. I'm sure most folks have smashed flourescents at some point.

Phosphorus or just phosphors?

No wonder you are always going on about the illuminati

This joke should never have seen the light of day

Where is the cloakroom?

Just replacing a load of bulbs with LED's at the moment. I'm yet to see proof they save money but they certainly last longer. I'm sure most folks have smashed flourescents at some point.

They don't really save money you're right, long term they will save you a bit. They will last longer though and are not full of nasty stuff to my knowledge.

When replacing halogen spots for example though swapping 35/50W for 4/5W LEDs should show some immediate savings especially over the next few months with the darker evenings. Been really impressed with some LEDs using SMD(?), are providing more than enough light for kitchens and bathrooms at a fraction of the power of the spots they've replaced yet only £3-4 on some sites per bulb

When replacing halogen spots for example though swapping 35/50W for 4/5W LEDs should show some immediate savings especially over the next few months with the darker evenings. Been really impressed with some LEDs using SMD(?), are providing more than enough light for kitchens and bathrooms at a fraction of the power of the spots they've replaced yet only £3-4 on some sites per bulb

I've been gradually replacing halogens with LED's over the last couple of years and I like them mainly because they last much longer than halogens. I've also installed LED strip lighting under my kitchen units and it provides good light. I replaced the halogens in ceiling mounted spots in a couple of rooms and in the bathroom. Previously I found it annoying that one halogen was always burning out all the time. Not lost one LED yet. I'm glad but they do cost much more than a halogen.

But the hoped for reduction in energy consumption doesn't seem to have materialised.. in fairness the monthly amount I pay for energy has remained pretty consistent over the year or two.

Has anyone found a good way to reduce energy consumption ? A lot of energy goes into heating water I wondered if solar water heating was worth doing ?

Last edited:
I've been gradually replacing halogens with LED's over the last couple of years and I like them mainly because they last much longer than halogens. I've also installed LED strip lighting under my kitchen units and it provides good light. I replaced the halogens in ceiling mounted spots in a couple of rooms and in the bathroom. Previously I found it annoying that one halogen was always burning out all the time. Not lost one LED yet. I'm glad but they do cost much more than a halogen.

But the hoped for reduction in energy consumption doesn't seem to have materialised.. in fairness the monthly amount I pay for energy has remained pretty consistent over the year or two.

Has anyone found a good way to reduce energy consumption ? A lot of energy goes into heating water I wondered if solar water heating was worth doing ?

www.energysavingtrust.org.uk

Excuse my terrible ignorance on this... but... why are LEDs not money saving? Do you mean that the purchase cost offsets the cost of the energy they save?

And when people say they're replacing halogens with LEDs, do you need to replace the entire fitting, or just the bulb?

Thanks

If bills have stayed the same though whilst energy costs have gone up 10-20% over last few years then in theory that should give you an indication you have saved something.

There is no easy way to work it out bar investigating if you really want to find out I.e. electricity can be established by using smart monitors etc, to see how different appliances affect it and working out what can be reduced or removed. Likewise for heating once you have insulated and got decent boilers TRVs etc. it's just about working what suits you as a household to try and reduce it. Solar and that obviously does have a benefit but the initial cost normally means the payback is not good initially, likewise living somewhere a bit sunnier would be more helpful too! It's fairly common down here for solar electric but very few have solar water it seems

Excuse my terrible ignorance on this... but... why are LEDs not money saving? Do you mean that the purchase cost offsets the cost of the energy they save?

And when people say they're replacing halogens with LEDs, do you need to replace the entire fitting, or just the bulb?

Thanks

Up until recently the cost of bulbs was prohibitive for cost savings so it was a personal choice to outlay for a long term gain but short term no real benefits. Nowadays the cost has come down so I think it is quicker to see the results. I've a room with 6 halogen lights that was previously running at 6x50w per hour as an example, that now runs at 6x4w after spending £20 on new bulbs that's something like 276w per hour better, as the room is probably lit for 2 hours per day that's something like 5p per day ( going off 500w saving per day at 10p per kWh) so after 1 year the bulbs have paid back and the bill is now £20 less per year. (it's more than that really as the room is probably lit 4 hours as the kids never turn the lights off in honesty and every time the electricity costs go up the saving increases obviously), with another couple of rooms with similar lights it's slowly adding up to a reasonable saving.

All the bulbs have just been straight swaps for standard GU10 or MR16 fittings

Thanks

I'm talking about an unscientific comparison with my monthly electricity consumption.. on inputting the last set of readings hoping with LED's and some other things that I might have built up some credit or at least breaking even. But I was informed my energy consumption had increased. I can see no real reason why it would.
Curiously gas was down a fair amount.

With LED's its a straight replacement for halogens.. I have wondered if you don't get the savings without lower volt transformers ? The under unit LED strip lighting is more even than than halogens and although its pricey with the transformers the overall effect is better IMO than halogens... and no bulbs to replace. I know there's cheaper out there but I impressed with the amount of light for mine. http://www.ledhut.co.uk/led-strip-lights.html?gclid=CIurhqXpp7oCFXCWtAodRHAAJg

Here's my tip of the day from Mrs Sliper..
http://www.lakeland.co.uk/21736/Dry-Soon-3-Tier-Heated-Tower-Airer
We have one of these downstairs and I'm surprised how it just takes the edge off the cold... and means less use of the expensive drier. We haven't needed to put the CE heating on yet.

Last edited:

Solar water heating is extremely efficient and, even on an overcast day, it does heat the water to a decent temperature. Whether that would justify the cost of installation in the British climate is another issue...

Thanks jakehake & sliper. Appreciated.

I remember seeing a talk about LEDs, I guess in the late 80s or very early 90s. The idea of traffic lights, brake lights - and any lights.... that are so energy efficient, and have the massive advantage that they don't 'suddenly fail' (therefore loads cheaper to maintain)... it was a real eye-opener.

I seriously investigated a couple of fledgling manufacturers' share prices - thinking this was the future (despite the massive cost at the time)... but decided that whilst the technology might be great, how do I know which company will be the winner? Followed it on and off for about a year. Did nothing about it. Of course.

Now, as you can see, I haven't a blooming clue. And can't remember the names of companies I followed.

The forum has gone to the dogs. We have a thread on lightbulbs, what next shades of paint?

But they do save a lot of electricity....and coal burning (the source of much of the worlds power) releases far more mercury into the environment than CFL bulbs do.

In the unlikely event that you DO break one, don`t hoover. That will just fill the air with mercury. Open windows,scoop up the bits, use sellotape to pick up glass fragments, stick it all in a sealed plastic bag, wipe the area with a damp cloth, and ring your council to ask for disposal facilities. Or stick in the rubbish, if you can`t be arsed with that.

No problem.