PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

City Centre Investment

Only one of many examples.

I had occasion to address the council once while doing a project for work. Whilst awaiting my time to speak, I was observing the councillors. Boy-oh-boy, what an eye opener. Half of them looked like they were asleep (before I spoke), the rest of them were very distracted with other very important issues like, now then, which sweet shall I choose? Will it be a sherbet or a Wherthers?

I have never been so disillusioned in my life. It comes as no surprise that the "cock-up" that was the market, is struggling to keep stall holders.

I find the whole thing depressing. As a proud Prestonian, I just wish someone of vision could be found to really make Preston a recognisable CITY. Of course it is a City, but I'm really sorry to say, in name only. I take no pride in saying that.

Incidentally, if this possible take over of PNE takes place and we succeed in getting to the premier league, that could have a positive impact on the local economy. Fingers crossed.
I think some good things have happened and are happening but I'm bitterly disappointed other projects and issues haven't been carried out or resolved (Guild Hall situation being the main one).

In the past, I've argued with people when they've moaned about the Labour-run council but it's coming to the point where I have very little defence of them and I'm becoming as disillusioned as yourself.
For the first time ever, I'm considering not voting in the local elections or perhaps spoiling my ballot paper.

I think some good things have happened and are happening but I'm bitterly disappointed other projects and issues haven't been carried out or resolved (Guild Hall situation being the main one).

In the past, I've argued with people when they've moaned about the Labour-run council but it's coming to the point where I have very little defence of them and I'm becoming as disillusioned as yourself.
For the first time ever, I'm considering not voting in the local elections or perhaps spoiling my ballot paper.

I agree with you on all but your last line. One should always vote otherwise I believe we lose our right to moan when things are not going the way we would prefer, whether Tory or Labour.

I do agree that for Preston not to have a significant live entertainment centre is a real concern. I and my better half used to frequent the Guild Hall. Sadly, no more :cry:

Guild hall needs flattening and replaced with an events venue more modern and fit for purpose. Won't happen like.

53 degrees going completely unused pisses me off also.

Wow, didn’t know any of that about the Guild Hall. But I was at the Lancashire Business Expo on Friday and I must say the whole building looked tired, worn and dated.

Such a shame it’s ended up like this. There’s no shops either like there used to be, only Review and Mr Lams restaurants at the front. Is Level still going at the back? Either way it’s still a shadow of what it was.

That’s disappointing with Brew and Bake, was only there at the weekend and was saying to our peg how nice it is to see the market thriving and two coffee shops next to each other packed out.

Will the Animate project next door resolve some of these issues? I know that’s in for approval on Thursday, isn’t it? Surely they will help pick that area up and fill the eyesore that is where the indoor market used to be.

The Animate project will make a huge difference, increasing footfall both during the day and out of hours for the stalls that have the ability to operate post 5pm and on Sundays.

But stall holders have been waiting 4 years for it to happen and bar the old market being knocked down, nothing has.

Food sellers like Pickles Cheese and Brew + Bake were promised outside space which could be utilised out of market hours using private entrances. Neither got this when the market opened and whilst Brew + Bake eventually had an internal, lockable door installed, Pickles got a hatch approx 5ft from the building site perimeter fence in a locked alleyway between the market and site. They've since given up on their eat-in cheese and wine/beer service and moved to a fully inside market hours only stall. As mentioned, Brew + Bake announced yesterday they're moving to Lancaster Road under the new apartment complex.

As Shabba just said, some really good things have happened to Preston since 2012 but even before covid, things were quickly grinding to a halt. This isn't a party political thing, Chorley is Labour and they are miles ahead project planning and implementation wise.

Guild Hall wise I think flattening and starting again is probably the best bet but hand it over to a private company who know what they're doing. Still can't work out why 53° is just sat there gathering dust.

The Animate project will make a huge difference, increasing footfall both during the day and out of hours for the stalls that have the ability to operate post 5pm and on Sundays.

But stall holders have been waiting 4 years for it to happen and bar the old market being knocked down, nothing has.

Food sellers like Pickles Cheese and Brew + Bake were promised outside space which could be utilised out of market hours using private entrances. Neither got this when the market opened and whilst Brew + Bake eventually had an internal, lockable door installed, Pickles got a hatch approx 5ft from the building site perimeter fence in a locked alleyway between the market and site. They've since given up on their eat-in cheese and wine/beer service and moved to a fully inside market hours only stall. As mentioned, Brew + Bake announced yesterday they're moving to Lancaster Road under the new apartment complex.

As Shabba just said, some really good things have happened to Preston since 2012 but even before covid, things were quickly grinding to a halt. This isn't a party political thing, Chorley is Labour and they are miles ahead project planning and implementation wise.

Guild Hall wise I think flattening and starting again is probably the best bet but hand it over to a private company who know what they're doing. Still can't work out why 53° is just sat there gathering dust.
I’m blown away by that, I didn’t know it had stopped being used.

I’ve been to a few gigs there, saw the Hoosiers there a good few years ago and they were a big draw back then.

If the Ferret shuts down when the building is sold there’s pretty much nowhere else to watch live music or bands in Preston, that’s shocking.

I’m blown away by that, I didn’t know it had stopped being used.

I’ve been to a few gigs there, saw the Hoosiers there a good few years ago and they were a big draw back then.

If the Ferret shuts down when the building is sold there’s pretty much nowhere else to watch live music or bands in Preston, that’s shocking.
53 was struggling financially way before Covid. It was (probably still is) owned and operated by the Student Union, not by the University so the funding was received and allocated differently. It needs a private entity to step in and buy it - but it is linked (physically) to the Student Union in more ways than you would think. Not sure how that would work if owned by a private company.

I haven't been back to Preston for nigh on 20 years, this City thing is all well and good, and the town centre development.

When I was last there the market area was booming as was the centre, the whole place seemed to be functioning perfectly. In London there is massive development going on around Nine Elms and SW London, massive buildings going up and up, 54 storey high and most are empty, investments for foreign money, no need to rent them just useless developments, becoming more like Manhattan everyday, unaffordable rents for businesses, or apartments costing minimum £750k out of the price range for any normal person, even office space not practical. Lots of people moving out of London now, had enough of foreign money and the changes.

In Preston, the eyesores for me were New Hall Lane and Church Street, should be concentrating on the shit places and building for the current population, sounds like the market area is turning into a disaster, along with the Guild Hall, it's OK having plans for a city, high rise office space, and expensive town centre flats, but who wants them? I know my daughters have both moved out of Preston to smaller villages surrounding Preston.

Thing is it is happening all over the North West, Manchester, Liverpool, and the suburbs, redevelopment foreign money, not for use for locals but for who knows who? Towns are good, keep it local for the locals, from what I see UCLAN seem to be doing most of the building and development, must be a lot of students, all that must be foreign investment, there will be nowt left in the centre soon, a few pubs and shops, I bet the 'Town Centre' isn't the bustling centre it was 20/30 years ago.

Towns are being ruined nowadays, in my opinion, should be concentrating on manufacturing and development of smaller businesses, if you don't have a music venue (Guild Hall), or an attractive centre, who wants to go there. Sad to see the long established market traders pulling out. I loved the market area when I was there, and the boot sales on the main market twice a week.

Can't see it turning out for the better if the town centre dies, sorry 'City Centre' think the centre is important, and should be kept alive.

Last edited:
It's a dirty, litter strewn, roadwork laden, motorist hating, depressing shit hole.

The LEP had retro pics from the 90s,it looked busy, thriving, somewhere worth going to.

Its completely lost its way and needs to find its dignity and identity again.

I actually think the amount of bars and eateries are a good thing.

Great Asian food, Middle Eastern food, independent coffee shops, dessert shops etc etc.
you might think so but this will not draw people back to browsing around retailers, you can only eat once, lets face it.

The retail sector is dying, sadly.

you might think so but this will not draw people back to browsing around retailers, you can only eat once, lets face it.

Things are more leisure-driven nowadays and that's not necessarily a bad thing - personally I think it's fantastic we have had a number of eateries, bars and micropubs popping up and I will continue to support them. That said, it's just a crying shame we don't have the live music/comedy/theatre scene that would help compliment them and IMO that is Preston's achilles heal.

As for the retail sector, sadly it is indeed dying but sadly hasn't been helped by central government sitting back and doing nothing.

Whilst I'm here, I disagree with another comment about Preston being a 'shithole' as that's quite frankly bollocks.

Things are more leisure-driven nowadays and that's not necessarily a bad thing - personally I think it's fantastic we have had a number of eateries, bars and micropubs popping up and I will continue to support them. That said, it's just a crying shame we don't have the live music/comedy/theatre scene that would help compliment them and IMO that is Preston's achilles heal.

As for the retail sector, sadly it is indeed dying but sadly hasn't been helped by central government sitting back and doing nothing.

Whilst I'm here, I disagree with another comment about Preston being a 'shithole' as that's quite frankly bollocks.

Agreed. There are still some areas that are a mess, Church Street and around the St John's Centre etc but on the whole Preston is in a far better place than it was 15/20 years ago and streets ahead of Blackburn, Blackpool, Wigan, Bolton and other comparative settlements.

I don't think the retail sector will ever be the same again but should Preston become successful with a good leisure & entertainment and city living mix then perhaps independent retailers, like Green Phesant on Winckley Street, will begin to reappear to serve those who live in town.

The transport system does need addressing though. LCC are remodelling the place like you can just jump on a bus, tram, train and be in the City Centre when for many that's not the case. We have Park & Rides in completely the wrong places (and one that cost millions but was never used) and a railway station at Cottam STILL no further than the planning stage. I'm all for making Preston 'hostile' to cars but you've got to give people a viable alternative.

Rose tinted specs must be selling well.
Must take a trip to specsavers as I openly invite and welcome anyone from the council or who is in charge of our city centre development to come for a walk with me and I will highlight where I am frankly disgusted by the state of things.
Yes the kendal St area looks nice, just pop up Corporation St though.. Get to Heatley st and the litter strewn car park, the abandoned carpet shop next door then the matching office world.. Pop through onto Friargate and sample the delights of numerous takeaways and browse in phone repair shops... Cross the ringway to the myriad of empty units and exotic calling of vape shops and more phone shops... Oh and pawnbrokers and charity shops... Orchard St beckons... Gaze in wonder at the new market.. Wonder where all the stalls have gone and wonder at the still undeveloped bomb site where the market once stood... Spoilt for choice you can pop into the vibrant St John's or the rediscover the beauty of cheapside with its wide open units displaying notices thanking past customers for their custom. Culminating in an awe inspiring and jaw dropping walk down fishergate with its rich history, classical architecture and mix of closed shops and shopping centres intertwined with amusing street beggers and overflowing rubbish bins.
I stand by my opinion that the place is a shit hole, it's dirty, nasty, depressing, in dire need of investment and a kick up its arse. Won't even start on ringway up Church st to say twelve tellers... I get no pleasure from slagging my home town. Its sheer bloody frustration at how its been mismanaged and constantly buggered about with. While I'm on one, what's happening with the hotel plans for the old post office or the park Hotel?
All the big plans just come to nothing.
Maybe I am miserable but it was never like this in the 70s n 80s etc where we saw genuine progress.

Rose tinted specs must be selling well.
Must take a trip to specsavers as I openly invite and welcome anyone from the council or who is in charge of our city centre development to come for a walk with me and I will highlight where I am frankly disgusted by the state of things.
Yes the kendal St area looks nice, just pop up Corporation St though.. Get to Heatley st and the litter strewn car park, the abandoned carpet shop next door then the matching office world.. Pop through onto Friargate and sample the delights of numerous takeaways and browse in phone repair shops... Cross the ringway to the myriad of empty units and exotic calling of vape shops and more phone shops... Oh and pawnbrokers and charity shops... Orchard St beckons... Gaze in wonder at the new market.. Wonder where all the stalls have gone and wonder at the still undeveloped bomb site where the market once stood... Spoilt for choice you can pop into the vibrant St John's or the rediscover the beauty of cheapside with its wide open units displaying notices thanking past customers for their custom. Culminating in an awe inspiring and jaw dropping walk down fishergate with its rich history, classical architecture and mix of closed shops and shopping centres intertwined with amusing street beggers and overflowing rubbish bins.
I stand by my opinion that the place is a shit hole, it's dirty, nasty, depressing, in dire need of investment and a kick up its arse. Won't even start on ringway up Church st to say twelve tellers... I get no pleasure from slagging my home town. Its sheer bloody frustration at how its been mismanaged and constantly buggered about with. While I'm on one, what's happening with the hotel plans for the old post office or the park Hotel?
All the big plans just come to nothing.
Maybe I am miserable but it was never like this in the 70s n 80s etc where we saw genuine progress.
Hardly rose tinted specs

Plenty of places worse than Preston and whilst it's not perfect and plenty of room for improvement, just writing it off as a 'shithole' is just complete and utter bollocks.

Online shopping has killed a lot of the retailers….

I buy 90% of my clothes online these days.

Does anyone know where I can buy Levis from locally? I used to get them from the Levis section in Debenhams but obviously can't now. No idea where in town I can get them from. Or am I going to have to take a trip to Cheshire Oaks?

Does anyone know where I can buy Levis from locally? I used to get them from the Levis section in Debenhams but obviously can't now. No idea where in town I can get them from. Or am I going to have to take a trip to Cheshire Oaks?

At a guess Ocean's Menswear on Cannon Street if it is still there. High End designer store so might do Levis. Scott's/Tessuti on Fishergate next to the old HMV is also a maybe and the odd pair crop up in TK Maxx every now and again.

Debenhams was my go to for Ben Sherman, Levis, Fred Perry and a couple of their better in house labels, especially when I got 25% staff discount!