PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

CONFIRMED Confirmed Hughes gets his one year extension

When we are good it generally ties in with Hughes being good too, the injuries will only get worse but I don't see it as a bad option at all as long as there is investment in the defence in summer.

Ok in a 5 can’t play in a 4

Still gets caught out positionally on a regular basis though when conceding

He's our best attacking defender, great and dangerous at bringing the ball forward, and he mixes it in both penalty areas, but his very brittleness is eroding his confidence and he is too often second-to-the-ball. Good Northender but limited, and fortunate to get this extension- but I really hope he proves me wrong.

IF he's not going to be first choice next season then I'm absolutely fine with it as he's a decent backup at this level, on a 1 year extension, but he should definitely not be our main starter from next season. But I'm not too hopeful on that. So I'll be judging the decision fully then.
I like Hughes as a solid defender, but I totally agree with you that as he comes towards the end of his career he's just a good backup player. We definitely need to strengthen the defence.

No one in L1 can afford the wages we are paying, unless we supplement the wages. Those four defenders aren't going anywhere imho. Cos they're not on the wishlist of any championship club.

And if we stay up next season don't be surprised if some get extensions again....

Personally ( and I might be wrong ) if things stay as they are then it will kick off big time next season because we will bomb. Ridsdale and Lowe leaving and some shrewd recruitment might just alleviate that but I won't hold my breath.

Not sure why the negativity, he has been a solid player for us for years. Its good news! Its our defence collectively that worries me, they have shown they are more than capable of shutting out teams, it needs to happen more often.

He's a steady eddie. In his 30s though and regularly picking up injuries at key points in season so next season probably won't be any different.

Of course if he just goes to backup/squad player then he's a decent option. But you've got Brady still potentially here next season so that's the bizarre nature of the club policy sometimes, two players on decent wages pretty much doing the same role.

I also get the feeling Best will be sold in the summer for a low fee but big sell on clause so probably better to keep Hughes around and then get someone in on loan late in the window.

he has been a solid player for us for years.

I know you didn't mean these two words in the context of my highlighting them. He's done well for us over the last six seasons and we've certainly had our money's worth. Signed in June 2018 and he's going on 32 years old now. He's not the worst defender in the world, but current form and injuries would suggest that there are better options out there. Now, getting fartcatcher to get off his arse and find that better option is another story altogether.

Again, I just need to reiterate- At this stage, both Hughes and Greg would have been OOC at the end of the season. Assuming those who wouldn't give Hughes the extra year would also be releasing Cunningham.

What world are you living in where you expect us to sign not one, but 2 better players with our 'fuck all' of a budget?

Good player when fit but has been struggling with injuries now for a while, in and out the team constantly.

No complaints with the extension but after the summer i hope we have signed someone who can comfortably play more than 30 games per season in that position.

I always thought that giving extensions out in January was to prevent other clubs from stealing our better players and preventing them from walking away on a free.
Personally, I think we could have waited to offer Hughes a new contract. It’s not as if we we are ever going to sell him for any significant fee. I like Hughes, but this is just another case of lazy recruitment imho.

I always thought that giving extensions out in January was to prevent other clubs from stealing our better players and preventing them from walking away on a free.
Personally, I think we could have waited to offer Hughes a new contract. It’s not as if we we are ever going to sell him for any significant fee. I like Hughes, but this is just another case of lazy recruitment imho.

It's not a new contract, it's just triggering the one year extension. Technically this stops any clubs north of the border offering him a pre contract deal.