PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

CONFIRMED Daniel Johnson leaving on end of contract

Peter with signings like Onomah you are really spoiling us.

Football business mastermind.

bbc GIF

I'm disappointed that he's leaving but if he wants a fresh challenge etc then fair does.

"The two parties have been in discussion since the conclusion of the 2022/23 campaign" really pisses me off though.
I personally feel that thats too late to start discussing a new deal. It's just bad management from those towards the top of the club.

Maybe if we didn't let his contract dwindle down right to the end, he might not have started thinking about a career away from North End?
Not saying that if we didn't discuss a new deal with him earlier would have made him stay but makes me wonder.

Also concerned that now Onomah has gone too and people have said potentially Whiteman going then it leaves our strongest part of the team severely weaker. Yes we have time to address that but am I confident with good enough replacements? Probably not.

He'll be a difficult player to replace with any genuine quality. Can't begrudge him moving on, he's probably looking for a new challenge, and reading between the lines from Peter's comments about bringing wages more in line with each other, we probably offered him a pile of shit contract.

The plus side is this does free up wages. Down to the club to spend them wisely and not jizz them on a Woodburn.

Kind of sorry to DJ go .. 300 games is quite an achievement and he deserved to be picked in the vast majority of those games. But like all players they all have their time and that time eventually runs out .. I think DJ’s time has run out at Deepdale .. I wish him well at his next club where I’m sure he will do well ..

I'm disappointed that he's leaving but if he wants a fresh challenge etc then fair does.

"The two parties have been in discussion since the conclusion of the 2022/23 campaign" really pisses me off though.
I personally feel that thats too late to start discussing a new deal. It's just bad management from those towards the top of the club.

Maybe if we didn't let his contract dwindle down right to the end, he might not have started thinking about a career away from North End?
Not saying that if we didn't discuss a new deal with him earlier would have made him stay but makes me wonder.

Also concerned that now Onomah has gone too and people have said potentially Whiteman going then it leaves our strongest part of the team severely weaker. Yes we have time to address that but am I confident with good enough replacements? Probably not.
The cynic is me thinks they knew all along DJ wasnt resigning but have kept it quiet until after season tickets have been sold