PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Eurovision 2021

Went to the local shop yesterday, and Dead or Alive with You Spin Me Right Round was on the radio.

Made me think - the UK has people capable of writing cracking, catchy pop songs like that, sung by someone like Pete Burns, who understood showbiz.

Yet, we sent the mediocre to Eurovision. Even worse was the performance - a chubby bloke dad-dancing while other performers put on a proper, entertaining show.

It is mystifying. They described him as a Brit-nominated song writer so you’d have hoped he’d have some credentials.

Graham Norton described him as a genuinely popular nice guy. And I don’t doubt that at all. But you’re right - the bland song was accompanied by a “pleasant” performance that might go down well on a OAP’s cruise ship. .

It is mystifying. They described him as a Brit-nominated song writer so you’d have hoped he’d have some credentials.

Graham Norton described him as a genuinely popular nice guy. And I don’t doubt that at all. But you’re right - the bland song was accompanied by a “pleasant” performance that might go down well on a OAP’s cruise ship. .
Not just the song and performance, either.

I have heard at least half a dozen of the other entries on the radio over the past few months, and seen them advertised aggressively on Spotify etc.

Yet, nothing from the British. The UK has some of the finest music promoters in the world, who are capable of pushing a song to get it airplay, prominence on streaming sites, and played in clubs.

Why not tap into this?

I have heard at least half a dozen of the other entries on the radio over the past few months, and seen them advertised aggressively on Spotify etc.

Yet, nothing from the British. The UK has some of the finest music promoters in the world, who are capable of pushing a song to get it airplay, prominence on streaming sites, and played in clubs.

Why not tap into this?
Maybe they won’t touch it with a barge pole

Apologies again for my little outburst earlier. Glad we’re all back discussing the key entertainment-related issues of the contest.

BTW - Anyone know why Israel had an entry but not Palestine?

Apologies again for my little outburst earlier. Glad we’re all back discussing the key entertainment-related issues of the contest.

BTW - Anyone know why Israel had an entry but not Palestine?
Palestine are not members of the European Broadcasting Union, although it seems that they were associate members for a while.

Maybe it is time to encourage them to push for membership and join the family.

Although, after reading Wikipedia, it seems that quite a few Arab states, including Lebanon and Tunisia, thought about applying but decided not to because they refuse to broadcast Israeli content. All a bit daft, IMO.

Disgusting, whats wrong with OAPs?????

:(

Could you email me the brochure please?

Palestine are not members of the European Broadcasting Union, although it seems that they were associate members for a while.

Maybe it is time to encourage them to push for membership and join the family.

Although, after reading Wikipedia, it seems that quite a few Arab states, including Lebanon and Tunisia, thought about applying but decided not to because they refuse to broadcast Israeli content. All a bit daft, IMO.
Is Australia a member?

Went to the local shop yesterday, and Dead or Alive with You Spin Me Right Round was on the radio.

Made me think - the UK has people capable of writing cracking, catchy pop songs like that, sung by someone like Pete Burns, who understood showbiz.

Yet, we sent the mediocre to Eurovision. Even worse was the performance - a chubby bloke dad-dancing while other performers put on a proper, entertaining show.

James whatever he was called is now the most famous person to have been born in Settle.

Why not tap into this?

I think it’s because the British public treat the competition as joke before it’s on, then get upset at everyone else for not voting for songs and performances that are weak, bland and instantly forgettable