PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Favourite Preston nightclub

Favourite Preston nightclub

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bing

Could someone help me with this one?

Following on from the 'best pub/worst pub' debate, I'm interested to see what everyone considers as Preston's best nightclub.

Thing is, I've no clue as to how to set up a poll. So if someone could alter this for me? The nightclubs of choice are: -

- The Warehouse
- Lava & Ignite (formerly Tokyo Jos)
- Squires
- PR1
- Roper Hall
- 53 Degrees

Any more to add? Personally, it's all about The Warehouse - cheap booze, great music, decent people. Hard to find a better place in town. Don't mind the odd venture to Roper or PR1 but for me, The Warehouse is where it's at.

What does everyone else reckon?

Could someone help me with this one?

Following on from the 'best pub/worst pub' debate, I'm interested to see what everyone considers as Preston's best nightclub.

Thing is, I've no clue as to how to set up a poll. So if someone could alter this for me? The nightclubs of choice are: -

- The Warehouse
- Lava & Ignite (formerly Tokyo Jos)
- Squires
- PR1
- Roper Hall
- 53 Degrees

Any more to add? Personally, it's all about The Warehouse - cheap booze, great music, decent people. Hard to find a better place in town. Don't mind the odd venture to Roper or PR1 but for me, The Warehouse is where it's at.

What does everyone else reckon?

No contest, The Warehouse wins hands down.

Upstairs in 53 is good for on Tuesday nights I think it is. Usually have decent "up and coming" bands - saw The Sunshine Underground there 3 years ago when no one knew who they were.

But I agree - Warehouse is class.

Arabellas circa 1996-1998 :cool:

Monday Night Stoooodent Night - 10p a pint, 10p a short, Kappa Trackys, Kickers and Ben Sherman shirts. Cool as fook cha :cool:

Green (Club Solid).

A couple of 'geck's upon entry and the place was rocking.

I remember those every so cheery 'tiddly-winks' that used to serve behind the bar. :)

There will never be a club like this was, in Preston, EVER again. :(

Byrons, circa 1992.

I lived in here from 89 - 94

Arabellas circa 1996-1998 :cool:

Monday Night Stoooodent Night - 10p a pint, 10p a short, Kappa Trackys, Kickers and Ben Sherman shirts. Cool as fook cha :cool:

I also lived in here around 91 - 98.

Did the Monday Night not shift over to a Tuesday @ some stage?
I remember bringing in stuff like early Nirvana and Mudhoney for DJ Glen to play. Was a NorthEnder as well was Glen.

Met quite a few now ex-girlfriends at both venues. Cheap ale,decent music,top indie chicks to pull.

Bliss!

Byrons was quality on Fridays,89-90,believe it or not people travelled from all over Lancashire to sample the (house/dance/rave) tunes from the time.

Gatsby was ok too (for Preston) 1991/92-decent tunes but rough as fook due to most of Avenham being wired in there...ended up at some interesting parties i can tell thee.

Feel was probably the best dance night Preston has ever seen,the glory-days being 1996,i was coming to the end of my clubbing career then & couldn`t really be arsed travelling out of Preston anymore,had some top nights in there.

Green was ok,handy at the time but not a patch on any of the above,tbf.

:eek:

Warehouse is ok but the lazy as fuck DJ`s really rip my knitting.

The Only One I know,Resurection,Rock & Roll Star....

Relevant tunes to me like but they`ve been played for (in some cases) almost twenty fucking years!

Play some New Fads,play some Ride,Spacemen-3..ANYTHING!!!

Diversity!!!

:eek:

Last edited:
Feel, mid-90s for me also and by quite a distance. First visited in 1994 and the atmosphere was so much better than anything else I'd experienced in Preston. The only downside was the early 2am finish and that it was fortnightly. Pete Bromley from Golden played a blinding set in '95 so the following week Golden in Stoke was full of Prestonians. Paul Oakenfold brought his own sound system in '96 and that was a memorable night also but while clubs in the cities were able to extend their opening hours, it never happened in Preston and I suppose it was one of the reasons for me leaving my home town in the end.

Back in the early 90s, I'm with Spezials. Byrons and midweek at Tokes. The latter throwing such decent house/rave nights for a Wednesday but they didn't have the same intensity as Feel.

I started my clubbing 'career' in 1997 going tio Hutton Sixth Form 'Doos' whilst still in the fifth year of school. Usual lineup was Madisons (now Revolution) - The Jazz Bar - Arabellas which towards the end of our time at HGS became Aquallenium.

Once at UCLan our regular haunts were Squires/Quincys on a student Monday and Tokes on a student Thursday. Qunicys was ace because I finally got a chance to thrash around to some decent music, albeit usually heavier than I was really into. However moshing to 'Break Stuff', 'Killing in the Name of' and 'Down with the Sickness' was always fun. Think Glen was the DJ and every now and again he'd go a bit indie.

Then we discovered Roper Hall on a Friday night and DJ Karl Yates. I think we spent nearly every Friday night for two years in there and one of my mates ended up DJ'ing alongside Karl after muscling his way into the booth. Then the Mill reopened and weekends became double the fun.

Despite the constant whinging from a female member of our group we rarely went to the Warehouse, it was small, cramped when full and so smokey you left feeling like you'd been through a pack of 200 B&H. In comparison to Roper, shite.

Nowadays a 100% Saturday night Warehouse person, which is rather ironic considering the above. Three floors of new indie, old indie/rock & roll/soul/motown and alternative/thrash means you can constantly flit when something gash fires up on your current floor.

Roper Hall is awful nowadays and so predictable. Basically Karl and Neil play what the owner wants them to and thats a mixture of Radio One indie and the usual classic indie by numbers (as Spezials has already mentioned). The final straw was Scouting For Girls and The Hoosiers being played! I know how good Karl and Neil can be, the former especially at 53 on Thursday nights, they just aren't allowed at Roper.

Still to break my Beats Of Rage cherry at the Venue but hopefully that isn't too far off.

tg