PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Fell Walking

Roger Mellie

Patron
Anyone on here who is into walking or has any tips or advice on the subject. I am a complete novice and i would like to get into walking as a hobby. I am reasonably fit but I find going to the gym 3/4 times a week a bit of a chore to be honest. I'm 47 so I am never going to have the same body as I did in my 20s/30s unless I make a lot of sacrifices like reduce how much alcohol I consume. I guess I am finally admitting to myself I am no longer a young whippersnapper.
Unfortunately my wife does not share my enthusiasm for us to go walking unless it involves walking round shops in Manchester/London.
Friday I have took the plunge and booked the day off work and I am driving up to the Lakes to Seathwaite to walk up Scafell via the corridor route which is approx 10 mile. I will be setting off from Fulwood. approx 6.45am so hopefully park up at 8.30am so should miss the crowds of holiday makers. Weather forecast looks good and from what I have seen online and YouTube, it's a pretty good path so I don't need to spend 💵💵💵 on equipment, though I do have some Aldi walking boots which I hope will suffice.
I'm just hoping I don't go arse over tit and have the shame of the mountain rescue bringing me down.
Any tips would be appreciated

Well you are starting with one hell of a challenge. I've been fell walking for years, Absolutely love it. I Mix it with quite a bit of wild camping as well. Sca fell Pike for a first walk is going to be tough. It really is a serious climb and I've done it a couple of times and both from the Wasdale side. I think you'll find it's pretty much like a proccession to the top now though, literally hundreds of people every day. It's great that it's the highest peak in England, but it's far from the best walk in the Lakes. If you're up to it after reaching the summit., drop down Mickledore to Foxes tarn (should be called Foxes puddle) then climb to Sca Fell, Only a few metres lower than the Pike, but less crowded and gives a fantastic vista over wasdale, The lakes and out to the Irish sea. Aldi boots should be fine. Crane Sports make some pretty decent stuff to be fair. Take plenty of water. You'll drink more than yo expect. Mars bars, are also great for an energy boost when you are flagging a bit. I'm 61 now, but still get out walking most weekends. You'll get a massive feeling of wellbeing as you set off on the climb and when you reach the summit. The bit in between is bloody hard work :ROFLMAO: I've Got a wild camp planne for this coming weekend. once you start, you'll never stop (y)

Link below is for my first visit to England's highest peak a few years ago.. Actually it was in 2009 o_O
https://www.northwestwalks.net/scafell pike.html That's my walking website by the way.

Last edited:
Well you are starting with one hell of a challenge. I've been fell walking for years, Absolutely love it. I Mix it with quite a bit of wild camping as well. Sca fell Pike for a first walk is going to be tough. It really is a serious climb and I've done it a couple of times and both from the Wasdale side. I think you'll find it's pretty much like a proccession to the top now though, literally hundreds of people every day. It's great that it's the highest peak in England, but it's far from the best walk in the Lakes. If you're up to it after reaching the summit., drop down Mickledore to Foxes tarn (should be called Foxes puddle) then climb to Sca Fell, Only a few metres lower than the Pike, but less crowded and gives a fantastic vista over wasdale, The lakes and out to the Irish sea. Aldi boots should be fine. Crane Sports make some pretty decent stuff to be fair. Take plenty of water. You'll drink more than yo expect. Mars bars, are also great for an energy boost when you are flagging a bit. I'm 61 now, but still get out walking most weekends. You'll get a massive feeling of wellbeing as you set off on the climb and when you reach the summit. The bit in between is bloody hard work :ROFLMAO: I've Got a wild camp planne for this coming weekend. once you start, you'll never stop (y)

Link below is for my first visit to England's highest peak a few years ago.. Actually it was in 2009 o_O
https://www.northwestwalks.net/scafell pike.html That's my walking website by the way.
I hope to be parked up for 8.30am and I believe the Seathwaite side approach is far less touristy than the Wasdale head starting point.
I do like to run 4/5 miles a couple of times a week plus I have a dog which leads me to regularly to the pub so I have a half decent level of fitness.
My wife works most weekends so apart from going to PNE with my 19 year old son, I find weekends rather boring and end up in my local with the dog. Hopefully I survive Friday and get the walking bug.

You shouldn’t really go walking up those hills alone. The wife’s cousin went walking up snowden detoured for a piss, tripped and fell 150 feet. His back pack saved him.

You shouldn’t really go walking up those hills alone. The wife’s cousin went walking up snowden detoured for a piss, tripped and fell 150 feet. His back pack saved him.
I used to venture up Snowden a few times. Had a caravan in Conway, the hills surrounding were incredible, that was before it became overrun with visitors, used to be reasonably quiet. Could stumble across all sorts of wildlife, Stoats, a beautiful animal.
Mother-in-law's ashes are scattered in the hills (Penmaenmawr mountain).

Imo can get very excited and ott with the gear, and when you start out and you buy all the stuff you can end up looking a bit of a twat, all that shit is not necessary you end up carrying half of it. Just don't walk in the really shit weather is how I look at it, its not even enjoyable. Other than food I alway take a small first aid kit, one of them foil blankets in it, some spare cloths, your phone has a torch etc.

Good footwear is number one priority, comfy footwear, sturdy soles, some real good stuff out there today, might need to spend a bit.

My favorite website to get inspiration was the walkingenglishman ill put up a link

Enjoy

Get into it then take on a few scrambles

I used to venture up Snowden a few times. Had a caravan in Conway, the hills surrounding were incredible, that was before it became overrun with visitors, used to be reasonably quiet. Could stumble across all sorts of wildlife, Stoats, a beautiful animal.
Mother-in-law's ashes are scattered in the hills (Penmaenmawr mountain).
I've walked crib Goch, check it out 😵

Orrest Head, which starts opposite Windermere train station, is a great start for a novice fell walker - gentle slopes, only about 800 ft high but offers one of the Lake Districts most spectacular views at the summit. Back down into Windermere for a pub lunch.

Anyone ever went to Hammerbank as a kid, school holiday place, used to do fell walking and visiting the lakes.
Yes I went twice in the 70s. Went back to visit it recently, it's now a hotel called Windermere manor and centre for the blind. Brought back wonderful memories.