PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Forgotten Faces

Kevin Magee was a superb player with a good career ahead of him. Unfortunately he broke his legs a couple of times before being told he had diabetes, which was the reason for his weak bones. Def not a drunk.

Did he not once punch a Carlisle player when a big fight broke out in front of the west stand, which was bad enough but he was actually banned from the previous game. He was in a suit and came out of the stand to jump in the melee!!!!

Kev Magee was a rum bugger - Beck bought him a bike so he get his fitness levels up but Magee sold it to some lad off Larches!!

Kev Magee was a rum bugger - Beck bought him a bike so he get his fitness levels up but Magee sold it to some lad off Larches!!

Now you just dont hear stories like that with modern day footballers !!!!!!!!!

Glen Johnstone, used to live next door to my Aunt & Uncle and gave me a free season ticket upon signing. Pity he only lasted the one season due to a dodgy knee, the bastard cost me a lot of moneyin having to fork out for season tickets !!!

Micky Norbury was another favourite of mine during the same era, scored a few and had a vicious headbutt.

Other names which spring to mind are Neil Trebble, Mark Leonard, Graham Lancashire, Paul Sparrow, Habib Sissoko, Tony Lormor, Frank Songo'o, Paul Reid, Erik Maijer, Charlie Bishop, Shaun Garnett etc etc

Ricky Thompson would have been a legend - tuesday night newcastle at home and the whole kop could hear his leg fracture in a challenge - whatever happened to the guy - certainly was some player until this unfortunate evening.

Thompson, Bruce, Elwiss, Robinson vs. Parkin, Brown, King, Hayes.

Discuss.

Top thread.

Forget "Skilful Bob", it was his partner at the back, Alex Jones, that caught my eye. Ditto Micky Bennett at fullback and Tony Philliskirk up top.

Other greats mentioned that i would have mentioned had work not been in the way.

Ricky Thomson
Peter Bulmer
Paul Masefield
Trevor Matthewson
Charlie Bishop
Deniol Graham
Craig Harrison

Last edited:
Paul Masefield - Right back who looked good in the openign couple of games of the 93/94 season then suddenly disappeared.

He made a good start but got sent off in the second leg of our League Cup game against Burnley. He made a scathing tackle, almost breaking the other guy's leg/ankle, right in front of us in The Longside Terrace(?) and Beck never played him again.

He made a good start but got sent off in the second leg of our League Cup game against Burnley. He made a scathing tackle, almost breaking the other guy's leg/ankle, right in front of us in The Longside Terrace(?) and Beck never played him again.

Was that the same game were the linesman gave off side, but the ref waved play on as the ball had gone through to Kelham O'hanlon in goal. O'hanlon thinking off side had been given kicked the ball out of the area straight to one Kevin Russel who duly chipped in to an empty net for a goal !!

Adam Nowland was having a storming season and could have gone on to big things but for Etuhu snapping his leg whilst on loan from us.

I agree. He became a bit of a long standing joke on here when someone named themselves "Adam Nowland Saviour of PNE" or something daft but I was always surprised how good Adam looked under Davies. A good player who seemed to bring a lot of balance to the side whenever he played and far from being a saviour, he was missed when he was injured by one of my new favourite players.

Beck signed Andy Fensome and introduced him to Masefield as "This is the guy who is taking your place".

True story.