PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Graham Hawkins - book about his life in football

Amazon product ASIN B0B95ZCBYJ
For those older forum members who are interested a book has been written about Graham Hawkins. The book is written by his daughter in law and covers his life in football, including PNE. All profits from the book go to Head for Change (Dementia charity supporting ex football and rugby players).
This has happened a few times, amazon links seem to get blocked on the forum, is there a reason @jakehake

I liked Graham Hawkins and always seemed to give 100%. He was a good replacement for Tony Singleton who also worked hard for PNE . Does the note that the profits go to a dementia charity have anything personal to do with Graham at all ? hope not.
This memory takes us back to the days when a good few players had second jobs outside football. Graham Hawkins and Kenny Knighton put their money together to run a car maintenance garage in the town while they were Preston players. There was a photo of them in the lep, leaning over a car engine compartment in their overalls when they started their business.

This memory takes us back to the days when a good few players had second jobs outside football. Graham Hawkins and Kenny Knighton put their money together to run a car maintenance garage in the town while they were Preston players. There was a photo of them in the lep, leaning over a car engine compartment in their overalls when they started their business.
Another thing they had in common was they both played for Rovers as well as us.

Another thing they had in common was they both played for Rovers as well as us.

As a 14/15 year old or so i could never understand why good Players, my favourite Players left us to go elsewhere, really liked both these and George Lyall, Ernie Hannigan, Archie Gemmill, Alex Dawson etc. It was possibly only with the sale of Michael Robinson that i realised that this was always going to be the way, supporting PNE!!

As a 14/15 year old or so i could never understand why good Players, my favourite Players left us to go elsewhere, really liked both these and George Lyall, Ernie Hannigan, Archie Gemmill, Alex Dawson etc. It was possibly only with the sale of Michael Robinson that i realised that this was always going to be the way, supporting PNE!!
And even earlier, Gordon Milne, Peter Thompson, Dave Wilson (although he soon returned) and Howard Kendall. At least in the case of Alex Dawson, we'd had his best years.

I have vague recollections as a small child of Graham Hawkins coming to my house. He managed The Piper FC that my old man played for who won pretty much everything in local Sunday Football in the 70’s

That's correct it was in Kent St.

Amazon product ASIN B0B95ZCBYJ
For those older forum members who are interested a book has been written about Graham Hawkins. The book is written by his daughter in law and covers his life in football, including PNE. All profits from the book go to Head for Change (Dementia charity supporting ex football and rugby players).
Thank you so much for posting. Hope you enjoy the book.

I liked Graham Hawkins and always seemed to give 100%. He was a good replacement for Tony Singleton who also worked hard for PNE . Does the note that the profits go to a dementia charity have anything personal to do with Graham at all ? hope not.
Hi Graham never suffered from dementia, but on researching the book I learned that many of his team-mates did. I came across Head for Change when I heard about his Blackburn team-mate Tony Parkes and reading how tough it was for his daughter.

I have vague recollections as a small child of Graham Hawkins coming to my house. He managed The Piper FC that my old man played for who won pretty much everything in local Sunday Football in the 70’s
Love that! Graham loved his time managing The Piper FC - Jane spoke very fondly of that time and they feature in the book.