PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Graham Hawkins - RIP

Former North End skipper Graham Hawkins sadly passed away last night. Graham was the reason I became a North End fan, he was my dad's best mate and Godfather to my brother. Makes a big impression on a 5 year old when a footballer comes round to your house, especially in a family of Blackpool fans. Lovely, lovely man gone too soon - RIP Graham.

oh dear one of my early memories of watching North End as a wee kid and my favourite player for many years - RIP Graham

Great man for pne, I remember walking from the ground after a one nil win, somebody who had not been on the match , what was the score? who scored the goal ? the reply in a broad lancy accent was,
Thawkins width thed ! Made me smile.

R.I.P. Graham.

I remember seeing Graham Hawkins miss and retake a penalty THREE times in one match!
I had the pleasure of meeting him at a PNE dinner a few years ago and he said the Ref considered letting him take it again but thought he'd suffered enough.

This is very sad. Graham Hawkins was a fine characterful player who was a mainstay of the Alan Ball Snr side that got us promoted back to the old Div 2 at the first attempt after the catastrophe of relegation the previous season.
As I write this I can see him in my mind's eye in the old Pavilion Stand with all the other players saluting the crowd that had flooded onto the pitch after the final match of that season. The team of which he was a member may not have been the finest PNE team ever but it was a memorable one that played football appropriate to the name Preston North End:

Kelly

Ross, Hawkins, Spark, McNab

Lyall, Spavin, Heppolette

Ham, Ingram, Clarke

Last edited:
Remember him being picked as centre forward when we we struggling. The night we got promotion against Rotherham there is a picture of him being carried off the pitch on the shoulders of fans. RIP

I remember seeing Graham Hawkins miss and retake a penalty THREE times in one match!
I had the pleasure of meeting him at a PNE dinner a few years ago and he said the Ref considered letting him take it again but thought he'd suffered enough.

Yep I saw that to, think it was a friendly against Dutch side Groningen.
Graham was a real leader on the field, RIP.