PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Greg Clarke!!

You arent confused, you just dont want to change, thats the bottom line.

I get the impression we are around the same age so, why do I understand completely yet you remain unwilling to change?

The beauty of language is it continues to evolve. Perhaps some of us just dont.

I think I pointed out earlier how much change there has been during my nearly 70 years, and I am very open to change, but just where does this change come from?

I’m asking you to tell me just who and when was it decided that calling a person ‘coloured’ became a nono, and that anyone who is not white has to be now called black including people which are paler than most women who use suntan parlours.

They are not black, but if it’s based on being not white then how do suntanned Mediterranean people fit into this description because by colour they are then black but I wouldn’t like to upset them either.

I don’t think people from China or Japan would like to be identified as yellow, following the same principal.

In reality references to black or white or yellow or whatever would all be best binned and ethnic geographic identity be used to prevent anyone being upset or confused.

It got silly a long time ago, mainly because many people are racist whether they admit it or not, that includes many Asian countries to btw.

Just be yourself, and as I said earlier, if you're genuinely not racist you'll be OK.
Trouble is, so many people are trying to avoid being accused of being racist or whatever, they’ll always end up pissing someone off somewhere anyway. The world seems permanently offended and it’s doing my head in😩

Dion Dublin on Football Focus gave his view on who follows Clarke and suggested a younger person, who has played the game, been involved in the game and it's structure, think he mentioned Matt Holland ?

On Friday at work i called a Blackpool fan a tangerine sod.
Was that ok.

That’s fine if you mean tangerine as in fruit ( but could be offensive to LGBT ), but if you mean tangerine as a colour you may be on dodgy ground, and it’s definitely an insult to Donald.

Better sticking to donkey references but watch out for animal rights issues.

Or Seaside shit maybe safer ground........

Alison Hammond who together with Dermot O'Leary is set to replace Eamonn Holmes and Ruth Langsford used that exact same description (people of colour).
Very confusing.

It's perfectly acceptable to say " people of colour " but an insult to say " coloured people "................... My god there are some bloody halfwits knocking around. :)

That’s too simplistic. Words have history - and with respect to oppression of many minorities - some very deep-set history. It can be the same in bullying or abusive situations where certain words/phrases can be used to intimidate a victim- whilst appearing perfectly (or potentially) innocent to the outside world. So in some contexts, words can mean much more than their dictionary definitions.

I am therefore convinced that it is ok to use social pressure (political correctness) to stop the use of an apparently “normal” phrase, whilst promoting a similar, different one.

Where your point is particularly valid is the degree of automatic hysteria when a non-pc phrase is used. I thinks it’s almost always right to criticise it - but the level of criticism should reflect the degree of hurtful intent or of negligence.

If granny uses the wrong word in conversation, it’s not the same as if a calculating, vindictive politician uses it. In Greg Clarke’s case, it’s more ‘negligence - the leader of the FA absolutely MUST be on top of this. And where it came really unacceptable was the degree of other stereotyping ideas and words he put forward, all in the space of about half an hour.

That’s too simplistic. Words have history - and with respect to oppression of many minorities - some very deep-set history. It can be the same in bullying or abusive situations where certain words/phrases can be used to intimidate a victim- whilst appearing perfectly (or potentially) innocent to the outside world. So in some contexts, words can mean much more than their dictionary definitions.

I am therefore convinced that it is ok to use social pressure (political correctness) to stop the use of an apparently “normal” phrase, whilst promoting a similar, different one.

Where your point is particularly valid is the degree of automatic hysteria when a non-pc phrase is used. I thinks it’s almost always right to criticise it - but the level of criticism should reflect the degree of hurtful intent or of negligence.

If granny uses the wrong word in conversation, it’s not the same as if a calculating, vindictive politician uses it. In Greg Clarke’s case, it’s more ‘negligence - the leader of the FA absolutely MUST be on top of this. And where it came really unacceptable was the degree of other stereotyping ideas and words he put forward, all in the space of about half an hour.
Very good post, Reg.

I totally object to the way you have used the word ‘granny’ in such an offensive and stereotyped way.

I think an immediate apology to all grannies is called for, this is just typical of the way grandparents have been abused over the years.

Grandmother is the correct terminology and the way you describe her using an inappropriate word because of age or mental deterioration is just the sort of ageist discrimination which must be stamped out immediately.

I am appalled by this type of attitude.

All depends which way you look at it or take offence.

As a grandfather I was thinking we should all take the knee, but getting up may be a problem.

Sorry but I'm not budging on the coloured argument because it's ridiculous......... I have learned since I made my initial post that Clarke has Prince Phillip syndrome and therefore he's in the wrong job. Justice served and no complaints from me. (y)

Sorry but I'm not budging on the coloured argument because it's ridiculous......... I have learned since I made my initial post that Clarke has Prince Phillip syndrome and therefore he's in the wrong job. Justice served and no complaints from me. (y)

Nothing like a bit of tolerance.......🤔...........think about it

Can you say coloured like that?

I thought it was offensive........please resign

I totally object to the way you have used the word ‘granny’ in such an offensive and stereotyped way.

I think an immediate apology to all grannies is called for, this is just typical of the way grandparents have been abused over the years.

Grandmother is the correct terminology and the way you describe her using an inappropriate word because of age or mental deterioration is just the sort of ageist discrimination which must be stamped out immediately.

I am appalled by this type of attitude.

All depends which way you look at it or take offence.

As a grandfather I was thinking we should all take the knee, but getting up may be a problem.

Shut up, Grandad!

😁