PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Harrop to Ipswich?

Opinions as others have mentioned playing from the left isn’t his natural position, Browne didn’t play in a 10 under Grayson. Under Grayson we were able to change formations a lot more than under Neil, I’d argue Harrop is more technically gifted than others that have benefited from more games under Neil. Harrops main downfall under Neil is that he doesn’t track back as much as he’d like, I’d also throw in if we’re portioning blame Barkhuzen isn’t as good under Neil as he was under Grayson

Blame on what? We had this myth again that Alex Niel doesn't improve players. You're right Browne didn't play in the ten under Grayson. In the two seasons he did under AN he scored 7 goals then 12. Last season when he didn't play in the ten he only scored four so maybe he should play in the ten more often.

Why is Harrop more techincally gifted? Because he used to play for Man U.

Grayson is one of the most rigid managers we've ever had.

I swear under Grayson we only ever played 442 or it’s similars

Anyone who can’t see how much Neil changes formation needs to try facing the pitch. Sometimes he changes it too much

We did play 5 at the back quite a lot too.

Blame on what? We had this myth again that Alex Niel doesn't improve players. You're right Browne didn't play in the ten under Grayson. In the two seasons he did under AN he scored 7 goals then 12. Last season when he didn't play in the ten he only scored four so maybe he should play in the ten more often.

What's the fact he used to play for Man U got to do with it?

You could level a lot of criticisms rightly or wrongly at Harrop but there is no doubt in my mind at all he is technically one of the best players we have.

Whether he uses that to its full potential or is given the chance to use it to its full potential is certainly far more worthy of debate.

With the exception of Bournemouth Reading and Middlesbrough I’d say most other games this season we’ve failed to register 4 or more shots during the 90 minutes hardly attacking intent. More concerned at nullifying the opposition hence the turgid backwards and sideways before the long punt forward and what do you know were on the back foot again
Neil has been here for four seasons and we've competed in the top half every time. If you're expecting free, flowing attacking football with this squad then you need a wake up call.

Either way, most of our goals come from out wide, or attacking midfield, so where would Harrop come in?

Knowing a professional footballer very well of a similar age to Harrop who currently is also not getting game time, I'll put a defence forward for Harrop.

If you know your not part of a managers plans, it's very frustrating and has a obvious effect on confidence. It doesn't matter what you do in training during the week, you know you won't be starting come match day. Staying motivated in training during a long spell on the side lines day in day out is difficult, you have to have a certain personality to cope with it. You don't really feel one of the lads. You miss out on appearance bonuses, goal and assist bonuses, win bonuses, not such a big deal maybe for JH on his contract but in the lower leagues, that may be 20% of a not spectacular wage. When you do get the odd opportunity from the bench or the odd start there becomes immense pressure to put in an exceptional performance which can lead to over eagerness. You are clearly rusty and your touch for a player who relies on touch, is key. You're either brought on when 2-0 up and everyone is in defending a lead mode so you can't show off your skills, or when 3-0 down and the games gone and the rest of the teams heads are already down and you can't show off your skills.

In a nut shell it's not easy to come in to a team and perform, especially when you do finally get a run and get EFL player of the month you get dropped and cast aside anyway.

I would guess Storey & Bayliss are suffering in a similar way, they are both young lads.

Harrop has talent, I'm not sure of his attitude as I don't know him, I guess he's earned sufficient money already. Without question he needs to go out on loan and I believe he will do a great job in a footballing side like Ipswich. I'm afraid under AN's style of football, the likes of Harrop, Bodin and Ginnelly to name a few will never cut the mustard. Which begs the question why were they signed?

A fair post indeed.

Problem is as much with our formation as it is with Harrop. He gives the ball away too much in advanced positions which put us on the back foot and because of the shape we play, we don't have the bodies in the spaces to cover this. Harrop is a very similar player to Dele Alli (all be it not as good) and he is having exactly the same problems retaining a place in Mourinho's Spurs team. Loses the ball in an advanced position and suddenly the opposition are on the attack. Harrop is a talented player who will do really well playing for a team whose shape suits his game. Unfortunately, this is not AN's PNE side.
I mentioned this earlier in the thread. Sometimes it’s a pass but more often than not it’s caused by being brushed off the ball by lack of strength/body positioning/decision making.

Both DJ and Robinson suffered a little from this when they first joined but they bulked up and improved ball retention and decision making.

I think Harrop is a decent player but never really takes his chance when he gets selected. However I do believe he hasn’t been given a decent run like others have.

Injury definitely set him back and a good loan playing regular football will toughen him up and he will either come back a better asset for north end or put himself in the transfer window for us to sell. In and out of the squad not playing much football is no use to anyone

Problem is as much with our formation as it is with Harrop. He gives the ball away too much in advanced positions which put us on the back foot and because of the shape we play, we don't have the bodies in the spaces to cover this. Harrop is a very similar player to Dele Alli (all be it not as good) and he is having exactly the same problems retaining a place in Mourinho's Spurs team. Loses the ball in an advanced position and suddenly the opposition are on the attack. Harrop is a talented player who will do really well playing for a team whose shape suits his game. Unfortunately, this is not AN's PNE side.
At least he is in advanced positions. We appear to be constantly on the back foot now!!Perhaps it's time for AN to look at HIS game and use all the players at his disposal and not just the chosen few.

I mentioned this earlier in the thread. Sometimes it’s a pass but more often than not it’s caused by being brushed off the ball by lack of strength/body positioning/decision making.

Both DJ and Robinson suffered a little from this when they first joined but they bulked up and improved ball retention and decision making.
And that’s why he’s desperately in need of some league 1 time. Robinson and Johnson both benefitted massively from this

Neil has been here for four seasons and we've competed in the top half every time. If you're expecting free, flowing attacking football with this squad then you need a wake up call.

Either way, most of our goals come from out wide, or attacking midfield, so where would Harrop come in?
At what point did I mention free flowing football ? The wake up call you refer to is usually at the final whistle having endured another boring AN team performance. There are better performances in this squad being held back by AN, Harrop won’t come in to this side under current management set up

Who has AN improved genuine question

interesting to read that Josh was close to signing for Ipswich last week.

And that’s why he’s desperately in need of some league 1 time. Robinson and Johnson both benefitted massively from this
Thing is, we first signed Robinson on loan in League One when he was 19. DJ first went on loan to Yeovil when he was 20. Players like Pearson, Ledson and Whiteman played a lot of games at a young age out on loan in the lower leagues. Even Brad Potts who didn’t come through at a big club, played a lot of games at a young age for Carlisle.

As such they’re far more experienced and prepared to play regular men’s/Championship football when their move comes about.

Harrop grew up only playing U23 football and imho this is something that has seriously set him back compared to other players. He is 25 and has started just over 30 league games in his whole career.

So he’s now at the stage where he’s going out on loan for experience at the age of 25.

interesting to read that Josh was close to signing for Ipswich last week.
Interesting also to read that Gwion Edwards is out of contract in the summer.

Don’t know exactly how he’s done in the past season or two but he was very impressive at Peterborough and we could do with another wide option.

Browne
Robinson
Ledson
Arguably Pearson
I'd say he has improved most of our Midfield. Arguments for Fisher, Davies and Rudd too but Rudd is down to the keeper coaches.

I've mentioned this a few times but there is a massive lack of balance in our coaching setup which I think impacts our ability to strengthen our strikers and defenders.

I'd say he has improved most of our Midfield. Arguments for Fisher, Davies and Rudd too but Rudd is down to the keeper coaches.

I've mentioned this a few times but there is a massive lack of balance in our coaching setup which I think impacts our ability to strengthen our strikers and defenders.
Imo Hugill looked like a more rounded striker under Neil. However you could argue he was developing quickly anyway.

Was going to say Rudd, but like you say, down to the work of two great keeper coaches over the last two seasons