PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Hundreds Of Alcholics Claim Incapacity Benefit

I have to say I agree with Nobber regarding choices. I grew up in kinship care, my nan took me and two of my sisters in whilst my brother went to an aunt and uncle and my youngest sister my mum kept. My mum just buggared off and left us kids, my dad could not cope and got a job that entailed a lot of travel.

I was the eldest of the family and trust me, we were not treated very well at all by my mum's family. My nan was lovely, most of my aunt's and uncles were a shower of shite, verbally and mentally very cruel. Even today at 56 I cannot talk about it for too long because I get very emotional. Now those people could have influenced my life either way, I could have CHOSEN to feel very sorry for myself for the rest of my life but, I chose to stick two fingers up and enjoy my life, make a go of my marriage and put everything into my own children so that they would never have to live like I did. I now foster a little girl myself (no relation whatsoever) but she calls me nan and my husband grandad. I know her pain and how to make it bearable, I chose to take a different path than my so called relatives.

The influences in your life as a child leave you with choices when you are older regardless of what anyone says. You can chose to continue the same way as you grew up or you can chose to live a completely different life, whether it be for the better or worse.

Lovely post Joan and very true. :)

Just as another example of choices. My husband grew up in a family of very heavy drinkers. They had no clue how to have a nice day without the inclusion of drink and getting drunk. My brother in law is probably one of the 210 Preston alcoholics that claim DLA (yes not just incapacity but DLA too). My husband on the other hand chose to work all his life and is still working today. He enjoys a drink, but knows how easy it is to go down the path of no return, and he choses not to do so.

Choices are there regardless of your background or the influences in it.

I have to say I agree with Nobber regarding choices. I grew up in kinship care, my nan took me and two of my sisters in whilst my brother went to an aunt and uncle and my youngest sister my mum kept. My mum just buggared off and left us kids, my dad could not cope and got a job that entailed a lot of travel.

I was the eldest of the family and trust me, we were not treated very well at all by my mum's family. My nan was lovely, most of my aunt's and uncles were a shower of shite, verbally and mentally very cruel. Even today at 56 I cannot talk about it for too long because I get very emotional. Now those people could have influenced my life either way, I could have CHOSEN to feel very sorry for myself for the rest of my life but, I chose to stick two fingers up and enjoy my life, make a go of my marriage and put everything into my own children so that they would never have to live like I did. I now foster a little girl myself (no relation whatsoever) but she calls me nan and my husband grandad. I know her pain and how to make it bearable, I chose to take a different path than my so called relatives.

The influences in your life as a child leave you with choices when you are older regardless of what anyone says. You can chose to continue the same way as you grew up or you can chose to live a completely different life, whether it be for the better or worse.

My family is similar. Half of them are no-marks, whilst the other side are excellent. For the idiot to say we dont have a choice just beggars belief.

Nothing but admiration for anyone who makes the right choices, Joan you must be proud.

Thanks Sharon and Nobber.

One of the things that really winds me up, is people that commit crimes, take drugs, drink and then blame their upbringing - flippin diddums to them. The other one is "He/She/They were bored" - bloody hard luck, life is boring at times, why they think they have the right to 24x7 entertainment I have no clue but they think if they are not entertained they have an absolute right to destroy stuff or make other people's lives a misery. From the "bored" culture you now have the lazy barstewards who think it is also their absolute right to be kept by the rest of us.

I would cure the "bored" culture not with youth clubs or stereos but, by giving them a broom and other cleaning utensils and making them clean up the mess they have made by vandalising, drinking and bullying - best known cure in my experience ;)

You have got me on a roll now :D

When I lived in London a few years ago, a woman that lived in the same block of flats as me who I had befriended because she was also a northerner (Liverpudlian) was talking to me one day. She said she wanted to move to some other part of the Borough. I told her she stood no chance because she was white and her husband worked, now I am not a racist at all, it is a fact in London and they will tell you this if you apply for housing or re-housing, if you are:-
a) working (minimum wage or not),
b) white non ethnic,
c) not claiming for benefit for several children

you have absolutely no hope whatsoever.

She told me, "ah but I have been in Prison, so I will tell them I will simply commit another crime and go to prison and my children will be put in care etc and they will re house me where I want to go". Hey, it worked :mad:

There is just so much wrong with this daft Country that unfortunately, I still have a deep love for - how do we cure so many ills at one go, how did we get it to such a sad state in the first place :confused:

It used to be honesty and hard work were rewarded and the opposite frowned upon - I now think we have been doing it all wrong - and worse I have probably taught my kids all wrong too. Neither one of my sons would stay out of work under any circumstances, pride would stand in their way I pray neither of them get into a situation like Nobber's dad, Sharon or sPNEnny they would be as totally devestated as I am for all of you. It makes me sick it really does. :mad:

You know my dad's not so well Joan....He and my mum need a stairlift...Dad does not receive any benefits but can hardly walk or do anything at the moment, but he's so proud will not let anyone do anything for him!...He got told that because he was over 70 or 75 (can't remember which age they quoted to me) that he was not entitled to disability allowance :confused: Someone is actually sorting this out now so hopefully he will receive something...Mum is already on disability as she had a couple of heart attacks a few years ago. Anyway they need this stairlift and they put in for it through Social Services...they told my parents it would cost them £8,000 and then £100 a year for servicing and then when they died :( they would come and take the stairlift out...so it was never theirs in the first place even though they would be forking out £8,000 :confused: Mum and dad both worked until retirement age and I thought it was disgusting that they would have to pay this out of their own savings. They spoke to some lady who said that she would try and get things sorted for them and she managed to get the price down that they have to pay to £2,500. I still think this is just unbelievable when people who have never worked are getting benefits left, right and centre!

Dad is that poorly at the moment that he can hardly walk at all...it's taken them about two months to get this stairlift sorted and it's still not been installed! :mad:

Where did they say this? (please, I don't want to get involved in a debate here everyone else - I am just interested about where this specific point was made). :)

Most London Boroughs Sharon, they even advertise jobs in the local papers specifically for "Black worker for ......." "Muslim worker needed for....". I have never once seen an advert for "White English" or "Church of England taught....". I bought the Islington Gazzette regularly and this is the truth. Oh and when you complete an application form, you have to say your colour as well as your ethnic background. There is always a box for "white British".

My son and his wife have to rent privately for the reasons I gave Sharon.

Where did they say this? (please, I don't want to get involved in a debate here everyone else - I am just interested about where this specific point was made). :)

Although it does seem Rob that you are questioning the validity of the specific point. If you have an opinion just say it, dont try and appear all nice in the background whilst blatantly opposing reality.

Most London Boroughs Sharon, they even advertise jobs in the local papers specifically for "Black worker for ......." "Muslim worker needed for....". I have never once seen an advert for "White English" or "Church of England taught....". I bought the Islington Gazzette regularly and this is the truth. Oh and when you complete an application form, you have to say your colour as well as your ethnic background. There is always a box for "white British".

My son and his wife have to rent privately for the reasons I gave Sharon.
I'm only called Sharon at weekends - it is a weekday today! :D:);):rolleyes:

Sorry, please could you clarify who said that you had no chance of getting housing if you were white?

Last edited:
Although it does seem Rob that you are questioning the validity of the specific point. If you have an opinion just say it, dont try and appear all nice in the background whilst blatantly opposing reality.
If it was true I want to know about it for my studies. There has been a recent study showing how perception has become waaaay different to the reality regarding immigrants in London and the levels of benefits they are entitled to and actually claim. This could potentially be a good example that can provide evidence for one side of the argument or the other.

If it was true I want to know about it for my studies. There has been a recent study showing how perception has become waaaay different to the reality regarding immigrants in London and the levels of benefits they are entitled to and actually claim. This could potentially be a good example that can provide evidence for one side of the argument or the other.

Very interesting. I should imagine there is a huge difference in the reality of immigration and the way people envisage the situation.

Not sure you will find the truth to be in the positive though;)

My daughter in law was born, and has lived in East Ham all her life, as have her parents and grandparents etc. When she and my son where planning to get married she rang Newham Council in East London to ask how she went about getting an application form for housing. She was asked those 3 questions and when she could not answer that she was any of those 3, she got told not to bother because she stood no chance at all. In fact I have this minute rang her to check I have my facts right and she confirmed.

My niece was born, and lived in Camden all her life and the very same thing happened to her. That is two out of my family alone. I lived in Islington, like I said and looked at the job sections regularly and trust me, there were adverts for jobs asking specifically for black workers or muslim workers. In fact my daughter once went into a hairdressers (she was only 17 at the time) to ask about training and was told "cheeky white girl, get out you got no place here". When my daughter complained she was told "they can complain about racism that you show to them, but you cannot complain about them" - now these are absolute facts witnessed by myself or my family there is no debate, its true, we are second class in our own Country.

Whilst on the phone to my daughter in law, she also said that a friend of hers is struggling with children at her mums house. In effect she has no home of her own just her mums to bring the children up in. When she spoke to the Local Authority and said she knew of several flats empty she was told that the Local Authority were under an obligation to save x amount of flats for asylum seekers!!!!! The lady said her children were sleeping in the living room at her mums due to the lack of space, and she was then told, her mum didn't particularly need living room space, she could use her bedroom for her needs :mad:

Now tell me what the debate is because I can't see one.

Now tell me what the debate is because I can't see one.
So the local authority said that you are not able to get a house if you are white? That is what you clearly said, I'm just trying to clarify exactly what was said was what you meant.

If they did say you are not allowed a property if you are white, they could be in serious trouble and legal action could have been taken.

I will most likely be working in Camden in social housing quite soon so it will be interesting to look at these points.

On your point about Asylum Seekers - the last stats I saw were for 2004 - when approx 34,000 people applied and less than 8,000 were accepted - to put that into perspective, Preston's share of that could be fit into one house (or maybe two small houses) - so that would not be a solution to the lack of social housing. Around 1% of social housing goes to immigrants, leaving 99% free for nationals - although this has been manipulated and many people do not realise this.

Most immigrants end up in poor-quality private rented accomodation.

Last edited:
So the local authority said that you are not able to get a house if you are white? That is what you clearly said, I'm just trying to clarify exactly what was said was what you meant.

If they did say you are not allowed a property if you are white, they could be in serious trouble and legal action could have been taken.

I will most likely be working in Camden in social housing quite soon so it will be interesting to look at these points.

No they said if you are not an ethnic minority - the question to my daughter in law was, was "are you white British? She replied yes, they said, "so you are not an ethnic minority, unemployed and have no children", they actually also said "and you are not in a same sex relationship", hell fire, ring either of the boroughs as if you live there ask them for an application form and you will be asked the same questions. I am NOT a liar for goodness sake. :mad: Good luck with the Camden social housing, my sister lives there on Hatton Gardens, Camden are one of the worst offenders - you will see- trust me.

Last edited:
No they said if you are not an ethnic minority - the question to my daughter in law was, was "are you white British? She replied yes, they said, "so you are not an ethnic minority, unemployed and have no children", they actually also said "and you are not in a same sex relationship", hell fire, ring either of the boroughs as if you live there ask them for an application form and you will be asked the same questions. I am NOT a liar for goodness sake. :mad: Good luck with the Camden social housing, my sister lives there on Hatton Gardens, Camden are one of the worst offenders - you will see- trust me.
I did not say you were a liar - but this would be a massively unnacceptable thing for them to say - with serious misconduct concerns for whoever said it.

Also to clarify - they actually said that she would be unable to get housing because she was white, rather than just asking what her ethnic status was for standard paperwork?

So this was Camden Council Housing Options who said this (potentially very illegal) statement to your daughter?

Last edited:
So this was Camden Council who said this (very illegal) statement to your daughter?

Illegal my big toe. They ask you that verbally and then quite legally say "so you are not an ethnic minority". That is exactly how it is worked, wait and see. Like I said I am not a racist, hell I live in Deepdale with a mostly Asian community and get on very well with them.

Its like jobs these days with local government. Can I tell you, when I first came back to Preston, I had been sick for 24 weeks. I have worked all my life and paid contributions. I had put my sick notes into the necessary department in Islington, and 25 weeks later had still not received a penny. I went to Preston Social Security who had written to me and asked me to go through the payments I had received. They were gobsmacked to find I had received not one penny and said they would ring London. Preston then rang me at home and said, I quote: "no wonder you had no money, its like the United Nations there and none of them can speak proper English, we managed to find someone that did speak English though and you should get paid in the next few days" - I got my entire 24 weeks sick pay all at one go :eek: Ability to do a job has no bearing anymore. Its the same as housing departments, ability to do a job means nothing, they have to have their quota of races, gays, aids sufferers, you name it!!!!!! Don't get me started, this Country is completely and utterly stupid, ask any foreigner :mad:

Some people need to get off their soap boxes long enough to see exactly what is going on in the real world, it truely is scarey :mad:

Illegal my big toe. They ask you that verbally and then quite legally say "so you are not an ethnic minority". That is exactly how it is worked, wait and see. Like I said I am not a racist, hell I live in Deepdale with a mostly Asian community and get on very well with them.

Its like jobs these days with local government. Can I tell you, when I first came back to Preston, I had been sick for 24 weeks. I have worked all my life and paid contributions. I had put my sick notes into the necessary department in Islington, and 25 weeks later had still not received a penny. I went to Preston Social Security who had written to me and asked me to go through the payments I had received. They were gobsmacked to find I had received not one penny and said they would ring London. Preston then rang me at home and said, I quote: "no wonder you had no money, its like the United Nations there and none of them can speak proper English, we managed to find someone that did speak English though and you should get paid in the next few days" - I got my entire 24 weeks sick pay all at one go :eek: Ability to do a job has no bearing anymore. Its the same as housing departments, ability to do a job means nothing, they have to have their quota of races, gays, aids sufferers, you name it!!!!!! Don't get me started, this Country is completely and utterly stupid, ask any foreigner :mad:

Some people need to get off their soap boxes long enough to see exactly what is going on in the real world, it truely is scarey :mad:
So, to clarify, did someone at Camden Council say that she was not entitled to housing because she was white?

I did not say you were a liar - but this would be a massively unnacceptable thing for them to say - with serious misconduct concerns for whoever said it.

Also to clarify - they actually said that she would be unable to get housing because she was white, rather than just asking what her ethnic status was for standard paperwork?

So this was Camden Council Housing Options who said this (potentially very illegal) statement to your daughter?

No actually Camden was my niece Nicola, who now lives in Burnley because she couldnt afford to live in London anymore :rolleyes:

As far as illegal is concerned, have you forgotten, if you are white and british you have no legal rights so far as racism is concerned - try and see :mad: