PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

If not Neil then who?

It’s funny the two reply’s to my apparently negative comment that Frankie wouldn’t be my first choice , both seem to want him to get the job but both have reservations. Not exactly ringing endorsements .
Is there a (realistic) candidate that you honestly wouldn't have any reservations over?

Is there a (realistic) candidate that you honestly wouldn't have any reservations over?
I don’t know who has applied but Probably not, but there again I thought Neil was a great appointment, and although I think he was let down by Hemmings and Risdale he definitely contributed to his downfall.

Cunners starts when fit, surely?

He’s still very much got it IMO.
My thoughts were of Cunningham's injury woes. Broke down with us (understandably after playing so little)

Plus Reach maybe a bigger goal threat?

Six goals 3 assists this season I suppose the goal tally isn’t that bad , but three assist isn’t exactly a lot .

I know he's been injured of late but between January and April he was struggling to get a game despite the club having no other orthodox right back on the books.

If we strengthen that area in the summer, which we will, then he needs to move on.
What's odd, and always will be, he's more often than not stated in our best performances this season, and many last, at left back.

Need moving on like many many others

What's odd, and always will be, he's more often than not stated in our best performances this season, and many last, at left back.

Need moving on like many many others
Yes he played in the big away wins at Brentford, Reading, and Bournemouth this season. Worth noting how they are away games. He was more able to cope in the away games imo because we were sat deeper and our full backs didn't really have to do anything other than defend.

His limitations were exposed far more at home, where he offered nothing going forward on his side in terms of movement or distribution. And because we were trying to play higher up he was more exposed defensively against pacey wingers.

For every good game he's had this season, there's been own goals, red cards, clangers etc. from him too. He can be pleased with his efforts over the past couple of years given that (imo) he has been playing above his level, but he needs moving on and we need, and can find, far better.

Yes he played in the big away wins at Brentford, Reading, and Bournemouth this season. Worth noting how they are away games. He was more able to cope in the away games imo because we were sat deeper and our full backs didn't really have to do anything other than defend.

His limitations were exposed far more at home, where he offered nothing going forward on his side in terms of movement or distribution. And because we were trying to play higher up he was more exposed defensively against pacey wingers.

For every good game he's had this season, there's been own goals, red cards, clangers etc. from him too. He can be pleased with his efforts over the past couple of years given that (imo) he has been playing above his level, but he needs moving on and we need, and can find, far better.
And in two other fantastic games, probs my favourite two of the season, Norwich away and Huddersfield away

We need better, indeed

And in two other fantastic games, probs my favourite two of the season, Norwich away and Huddersfield away

We need better, indeed
I think when you're playing Championship football, especially at home when you're expected to be on the front foot, you probably can't afford to carry anyone in any position, including at full back and centre back, who can't do anything productive in possession. It just massively restricts your ability to build from the back.

Hence why at the moment McAvoy has rightly been pragmatic, playing a back 5 and being direct to Evans. But if we want to add more strings to our bow and be able to get the ball on the deck and play a bit more, then we'll need to sign defenders this summer who a) are mobile and b) are comfortable in possession, distributing the ball from the back. That's why I don't agree with calls to sign Lindsay up, keep Rafferty, etc. and it's why some of us weren't keen on Huntington being given a new contract.

There's no doubt we could do with a couple of quality additions in attacking areas this summer, but I honestly think it will be our recruitment in defence that defines the way we play for the next couple of years.

The loans will all go back.

I would expect that at least 4 contracted players won't be here at the start of next season and then we have uncertainty on a few others.

They would be looking to offload Harrop but that would be tricky given his contract.

Earl - Who knows, Jerry probably knows more than me.

Ripley will be replaced.

Hudson - again who knows... you would think for his own career he would need to leave.

It will certainly be the biggest summer in terms of transfers since the medal winner. Expect us to be very very busy.
Even Sepp VDB ?

Everything is pointing towards Frankie being appointed in the near future.

However, if for whatever reason that doesn't happen I would expect them to wait a few weeks to appoint anyone else.

Sorry for any confusion.

Simply hard to ignore the points tally amassed despite the appointment only ever meaning to be temporary.

sure he’s not wanted by everyone but hard to argue that he’s not deserving of a go at the helm

Simply hard to ignore the points tally amassed despite the appointment only ever meaning to be temporary.

sure he’s not wanted by everyone but hard to argue that he’s not deserving of a go at the helm
A Billy Davies MK II situation? Let’s hope so. Wouldn’t be my first choice but wouldn’t be unhappy with it.

I think Frankie has shown he can get the best (or at least better than this season's AN) out of the squad he's given. If he wants the job, it's his in my opinion. Who knows, perhaps he has other ideas/game plans depending on what players we bring in. He seems pragmatic to me and has shown, so far at least, that he can get results from the squad he's given. That will be a massive plus point for him to PR and TH.

He seems to have good man management skills which perhaps bring the best out of certain players. He has said that he prefers to have regular one to one discussions with individual players.
This appears to be a positive when compared with Neil and is maybe a contributory factor in the improved performances.

A Billy Davies MK II situation? Let’s hope so. Wouldn’t be my first choice but wouldn’t be unhappy with it.
It's very different to Billy. Billy wanted to resign, club said no and wanted to see how he did. He was made permanent manager very early on. He had also had management experience at Motherwell where he mostly performed well.

I think the club actually had a plan for this Summer. A plan which Frankie and Ainsworth weren't considered as options. But results in that time have seriously thrown a spanner in the works.

Got nothing but respect for frankie and everything he has done for our club...however I think a fresh face and a new set of ideas and approach is needed..can see us being exactly at the same point in a years time otherwise.

Frankie has done exceptionally well with the points return achieved.However I do wonder at the age of 54 and no full time manager appointments whether he would be someone who would excite people.As someone said earlier we have no idea who has applied for the job and I do think Pne will opt for the cheap and cheerful option.I am neither for or against I just want someone to restore my belief in Pne.

whether he would be someone who would excite people.
Excitement will come from a good points tally not a charismatic leader. I'm not sure any manager will get the current squad into the playoffs and I doubt we'll strengthen sufficiently for that to happen.
Whoever the manager is next season I can see him getting a lot of criticism.