PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

January 2022 - Transfer Window Rumours and Discussion

As a non medical person, is there a trend that Achilles is an affliction for big guys, Tom Clarke, Bauer, Wickham and Souttar?

Definitely red flags for me regards this as a potential signing.

I’m 6 foot 2 and did mine so you could be on to something.

Must be the extra stretching required to tie your laces!

Apologies, as this is somewhat away from the signings main topic. My wife works at UCLan, and she was speaking with some overseas third year students, and they did not know that there was a team in Preston. They were shocked and wished they knew earlier, as they wanted to see a match while they were here studying. However, it leads to a few questions that might needs a different thread. How does the club market itself to potential new supporters? They obviously ignore the University for reasons that do not make sense. But I don't remember seeing any marketing effort beyond appealing to those already buying tickets to buy tickets more often. A second thing that I noticed is that there are not many non-British supporters at Deepdale or on our travels, even before the Pandemic hit travel. A few weeks ago, I went to the Rovers v Fulham match, as I have some Fulham mates coming up for it. There were a fair bit of foreign accents among the Fulham supporters, and I found this impressive. Is PNE making efforts to increase its fanbase among foreign residents in the city?
So they were in their third year, and didn't know PNE existed? I find that really difficult to believe. After all, isn't Deepdale 'the biggest building in Preston' ? (WDD)

So they were in their third year, and didn't know PNE existed? I find that really difficult to believe. After all, isn't Deepdale 'the biggest building in Preston' ? (WDD)
I am saying it is common among the international student population, but it was something said among the students that she spoke with. Possibly seeing Deepdale and knowing about PNE are different matters. After spending a few years living abroad myself, I can understand not fully understanding my surroundings as quickly as a local might. However, my point was that the club could do something to attract students in general and specifically internationals. Having a large building in a part of the city that is not often frequented by international students is probably not enough.

Did Clarke even ever play CB again after the Achilles more than a handful of times? Only really remember him playing anything other than RB under Neil.
Briefly at the start of 2018/19 but he didn't last long. Great leader was Tom, and would do all sorts to stop a goal, but he was never that good a defender in this division IMO

Briefly at the start of 2018/19 but he didn't last long. Great leader was Tom, and would do all sorts to stop a goal, but he was never that good a defender in this division IMO
I don't disagree. Technically inferior to most our first teams CBs since promotion but his commitment and leadership has him above the current crop (bar Bauer) imo.

More useful at setpieces than most of them too.

Don't be surprised if the likes of WBA come in for Rils in January, £ 5 - 6 million bid would see him gone imho.
What a load of rubbish our trouble is we keep player to long.
Come on Pete i no things aren’t good but think about it Blackpool are wetting them selfs how well there doing & we are only 3 points off them.

As a non medical person, is there a trend that Achilles is an affliction for big guys, Tom Clarke, Bauer, Wickham and Souttar?

Definitely red flags for me regards this as a potential signing.
Tom Clarke isn't even 6 feet tall, although it's an interesting point you raise.

Would be interesting to see a breakdown of the positions of players who rupture their Achilles.

At least Tom Clarke always gave everything on the pitch , a captain who lead by example unlike some of our players at the moment .

Clarke was useful at this level in the right set up.

Was it him and Callum Small forest as a makeshift CB who kept 6 clean sheets in a row under Grayson? Or was it Huntington/ Wright?

A younger, non-injury ridden Bailey Wright would be good right now. 100% commitment.

Clarke was a virtual ever present in a side that finished 11th in our first two seasons back at this level. He was much better than average in my opinion because he brought the full package, leadership, ability and versatile (CB/FB). I'd love the Tom Clarke of 2015-2018 in our squad now.

Souttar if he's clear of his injury issues would be a terrific signing, really good player. Let's be honest though if he's believes in omens he won't come here. Players with poor injury records looking for a fresh start aren't exactly our forte.

Players with poor injury records looking for a fresh start aren't exactly our forte.

Our Director of Sports Medicine got his degree in Haiti

giphy.gif

Not a chance. We turned down less for Hugill didn't we? Only way Riis goes is if a prem team offers 8 figures.
We turned down more for Hugill. And Riis just penned a 5 year contract. If Riis gets 15 or more league goals this season there will be a lot of interest. 20 goals and there could be 10m+ offers.

I’m 6 foot 2 and did mine so you could be on to something.

Must be the extra stretching required to tie your laces!

I’m 6 ft 4 played amateur football into my late 30’s fortunately I avoided Achilles issues, knees well that a different subject. 🤣

I'm not sure how much interest there would be for Riis in the current economic situation. Mitrovic with 21 from 18 in this league hasn't looked that good in the Prem. Same for Armstrong this season 2 goals in the Prem. The top of the Championship would be more likely but they wouldn't pay the fee required for us to let him go. (hopefully)