PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Lapsed Supporters

Unfortunately the club can't possible cover all reasons for people stopping attending. However as soon as it approaches deadline day they should be all over those who haven't renewed to find out why.

Of course we hear that we gain c1000-1500 new ST each year but lose about the same, so it stays about static.

Next season could be telling as I suspect a lot of people picked option 3 to roll their ST from last season on to this, I know I did.

I've stopped attending away games, even local ones, but that's largely because my lad plays footy for 90 minutes on a Saturday morning and by the time I'm home I'm usually frozen or it's too late to go. The only ones I'd consider now is if I hadn't been to the ground before but there's not many of those floating around in this division - Cardiff, Swansea, P'boro and Middlesbrough.
Could you let me know about any Saturday morning junior leagues for when we move over there please?

Interesting quite a few that have given up on this thread are ones that travel a bit to get there. I live 15 mins from the ground, I seriously think if it was a one and a half hour trip both ways for every home game they'd not see me much either at the moment.

Me too.

I can be home 20 minutes after the final whistle (traffic depending). I honestly don't think I could be arsed with the hassle or cost traveling from further afield.

Fair play to those that do though.

Interesting quite a few that have given up on this thread are ones that travel a bit to get there. I live 15 mins from the ground, I seriously think if it was a one and a half hour trip both ways for every home game they'd not see me much either at the moment.
I only live in Euxton which is only a 10 minute train journey away ( I won’t drive because I like a pint on match day ) but even so it’s a nuisance to get from the train station to the ground and then to do the reverse journey after the game ….. it’s all too much trouble in return for the rubbish they serve up !

I much prefer loading £5 onto my Betfred account and having two or three footy bets and then follow the action through this forum and soccer Saturday.. far more fun especially in the cold wet winter months.

Could you let me know about any Saturday morning junior leagues for when we move over there please?
My 10 year old grandson plays for Gregson Lane and they used to play Saturday mornings Under 8’s and Under 9’s ..

I can find out more details off my son DJ

I was full of enthusiasm when I was coming over from Liverpool or Leeds each week.

Now I live 15 mins drive away and struggle to motivate myself to go. No chance I’d be going if I was travelling again.

Moved down south about 15 years ago, so I was predominantly going to away games on my tod and would come to Deepdale when visiting family. I really enjoyed the away games and as we got relegated during that period it gave me a chance to tick off a lot of new grounds (every cloud and all that!) also ticking off a lot of good pubs around the country helped. One of my favourite away days was Notts Co when we had Beckford playing. I spotted that Notts were hosting Yorkshire at Trent Bridge so I arrived early, basked in the sun watching that for a few hours and then took in a good North End win!

I moved back up to Preston around 2016/2017 and was going on when I could but my enjoyment started to falter around 2018/19 and when the pandemic kicked it in gave me a welcome break from North End.

Having a young family and being short of cash no doubt had an impact and although I’m in a better position financially now I’d rather use that on a day out with the nippers or a few days watching the cricket at Old Trafford.

I hope my passion for North End reignites but with the style of football we play alongside the dreadful PR that comes out the club, the panic buy signings and the graveyard like atmosphere of Deepdale I really can’t be arsed at the moment.

I'm hoping to move back to Preston next year so that'll be me and my son with season tickets - him for the first time!
How old is your son DJ ?

I will check out the footy leagues that you enquired about on another thread..

Which part of Preston will you be looking to live in ??

Someone should print of the 80+ posts on this thread and send it to Mr Ridsdale …..

He needs to know that there is major Lethargy and Apathy amongst the fan base caused mainly by him and his actions… that includes appointing McAvoy..

I had been a season ticket holder since 2004/2005. And went to majority of home games for a number of years before then. My last season as a ST holder was 19/20.

That season and the few before I found myself more and more games due to family commitments. And also not being bothered traveling from Lancaster in bad weather when on the red button, Fulham at home was an example when Nugent scored.

So pre Covid, I had decided 20/21 I wasn't going to renew. Just attend when I could and go on more away games. Then Covid came along. I got a firestick and was able to watch most home and away games, and tried my best to.

When we sacked Alex Neil, I thought it was a real opportunity for the club to come up with a plan on and off the pitch. It was clear as day that a large player turnover was needed, Ridsdale said it himself last January. So I hoped a decent managerial appointment, a good ST offer, a good transfer window, forward thinking on and off the pitch and a plan to progress, and I might get a season ticket.

Sadly not one of my wishes happened. I've been to West Brom and Derby at home. Quite enjoyed being back for the West Brom game. But the Derby game was abysmal. It was on a par with the dark days under Westley. It isn't football that we play. Our only striker capable of scoring goals at this level taking long throw ins is embarrassing, 7 defensive outfield players and 3 offensive, no plan B, poor subs, poor atmosphere. It's just sad to see. I normally watch Soccer Saturday instead of our game on my firestick.

Whilst it's nice this week to hear we have the backing from the Hemmings family, the absolute shite Ridsdale came out with filled with with nothing but anger towards the club. I have no intention of paying for a ticket at Deepdale whilst Frankie remains in charge. And the way things are, that may remain the case while Ridsdale is involved at the club. I'll go on some away days and that's it. At least then alcohol and the banter travelling makes the day, rather than the football.

I had a season ticket for around 25 years all in. From 1992-93 up to 2018-19 I think I missed one or two seasons, went away all over the place too, everywhere in the North West and places like the old Cardiff ground, Gillingham, most of the London grounds, midlands etc. I live in Manchester so it’s around 45 mins each way. Last two games I went to were Fulham away and QPR at home before the first lockdown in 2019.

Basically I was disgusted with all the condescending stuff Ridsdale was spouting during the following two seasons and the way the club handled the season ticket and i-follow farce and I thought, that’s me done here until this clown’s gone.

I won’t get a season ticket again and decided to pick and choose my games. I’m yet to pick one - the feeling of negativity towards the fans and the toxicity around the club has killed any appetite I have for paying to watch games there. Until Ridsdale’s gone and they appoint an actual real football manager then I’m happy to watch from afar. There were eight of us season ticket holders who sat together prior to lockdown. I know from my dad - who still goes on - that it’s now down to two.

I didn’t want to miss games, but equally I know the only thing they will listen to is when you vote with your feet. Clearly the fans don’t know anything and we’re all wrong to question the direction we’re heading or the football we’re playing - we’re just a gate receipt as far as “the advisor” is concerned. We’ll sorry, I’m not playing ball.

This is Ridsdale’s legacy - well done Peter.

There are a lot of absolutely brilliant responses on here; thanks to all of you for sharing your experiences.

Trevor Hemmings was well known for his passionate love and knowledge of horses. He certainly hired a horse's ass as his advisor.

Its a sad state of affairs reading this thread, truth be known I fall into the lapsed supporter bracket. I became less interested during Covid, the recent shambles off the field have confirmed I'm not going back anytime soon. I went to the Hull game, it was dire, then Derby wasn't any better. If my lad wants to go ill take him on but if not I'm not fussed. I've started watching my local non league team, there's a gang of us who go on all Burnley and Rovers fans. We chat standing up and enjoy a pint or two. Also bought a mountain bike and go to the pub with my Mrs for drinks or a bite to eat. I'll hopefully return when Ridsdale and Frankie have moved on. But for now I'm enjoying some time out. Not arsed if I'm a shit fan, I've been to 50 odd away grounds, had season tickets in the past etc. Had a health scare last year and life really is too short.

I know we can't blame Ridsdale for this as it was a Derek Shaw comment but it just goes to show being the 'biggest building in Preston' means absolutely nothing. A lot of our fanbase would only ever see the ground if they go to a game.

Where is the draw that will make fans want to spend the time and money to come to watch the team play at Deepdale?

Everyone these days has the internet. Everyone will see the highlights (or lack of), everyone will see what those in power at the club are saying etc.

What have we had the past few years? Condescending bullshit from Peter, derisory comments from those that do go every week about the turgid, defensive, shit football. Appalling off the field decisions on contracts, signing injury prone players and youth policies.

Its a frightening prospect for the club for me, its getting easier for people to decide not to bother and a lot are. We need change to stop the decline and we need it very soon.

How old is your son DJ ?

I will check out the footy leagues that you enquired about on another thread..

Which part of Preston will you be looking to live in ??
Hoping to be Ashton-ish, he's currently Under 9s so u10s next season.

After 45 years of supporting home (and a few away) I'd say I'm a 99% lapsed fan. Reasons for that are many but in a nutshell I think I realised during 2020 lockdowns that I didn't miss PNE games at all. Throw in some family shit in the last 6 months (which gets you thinking about to do with the rest of your life), a lack of ambition at the club, a style of football that doesn't entertain, fans being taken for granted etc and I'm happy doing what I do on Saturdays (golf, horse racing, time with grandsons etc). I could definitely be tempted back but it would need a real "spark" (think attacking football with Fuller up front, Mooney on the wing, Gregan enforcing the midfield and Simon Gibson sorting out the opposition centre forward).

After 45 years of supporting home (and a few away) I'd say I'm a 99% lapsed fan. Reasons for that are many but in a nutshell I think I realised during 2020 lockdowns that I didn't miss PNE games at all. Throw in some family shit in the last 6 months (which gets you thinking about to do with the rest of your life), a lack of ambition at the club, a style of football that doesn't entertain, fans being taken for granted etc and I'm happy doing what I do on Saturdays (golf, horse racing, time with grandsons etc). I could definitely be tempted back but it would need a real "spark" (think attacking football with Fuller up front, Mooney on the wing, Gregan enforcing the midfield and Simon Gibson sorting out the opposition centre forward).
Youl and Claude in defence, Eddy Lewis and a couple of others from the BD era. Oh if only.