PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Matchday Thread Luton Town v Preston North End - 13/08/22 - KO:15:00 - Championship

Had to spend a day without football today, and what happens? Brad Potts scissor kick!

Absolutely cracking finish, made up for him. And what a ball in from Brady. Looking forward to watching the whole match replay back.

Then the co commentator who was an ex pro said

"its a good goal but they don't deserve it"

Then at the start of the second half he said

"If we get one back we will go on and turn them over easily" (or words that effect).
Luton have been shithoused JK onto two big games at home now & Kop open 👍

"If we get one back we will go on and turn them over easily" (or words that effect).
Ha, knob, whoever he was…..

Saying if they were given the penalty, pretty much it would’ve been 1-1 and they’d go on and win the game. I agree it was probably a foul but the foul was outside the box so stop banging on about a penalty.

Also wouldn’t shut up about the ‘Ledson Foul’ should’ve been a card while admitting they didn’t get a replay. Yes it was full blooded but he clearly won the ball.

I was very close to pressing mute a few times.

Starting any game against an outfit you might come up against a surprise or problem. Its how you adapt. If he was only poor for the for the first 15 mins but good for the last 75 mins thats surely commendable.
Of course, the point I was making is that players that you can admire (as I do very much with Hughesy) can have bad spells (I know 15 minutes isn't a spell), while players that someone else may not admire, can do positive things 😉

What a day that was, horrible drive down with the heat but was worth it with the performance. A thoroughly professional job and performance. Luton didn't really look like scoring all game which is a credit to the defence. Thought we played really well and loved the passion at the from the gaffer, get these last couple of players in we need and we could finally be there.

Luton fan here: During Covid lockdown I lucked out and was one of 1500 fans in a ballot that saw a James Collins hat trick take us past a pretty average Preston side. Last year we rolled you over 4-0 in a midweek evening game and you were poor. Yesterday was completely different. You were strong, stayed in shape, denied us any flow and snuffed things out early. Then Potts got his worldie right I front of me...already a contender for goal of the season. You saw the game out from 55 minutes onwards. If the positions were reversed we would be saying that was an awayday masterclass on how to get...and keep hold of....3 points away from home. Not pretty to watch, but highly effective. Fair play. You should have a good season.

Suddenly our draw against hull doesn’t look that bad
I said yesterday that the two draws could be OK with that win yesterday and chance of points Tues two home games coming up let's see where we are after these two home games could of won against Hull as well

................................I guess she's mad as a
Every fan hates the cheating that goes on. The "slow exit" by substituted players (don't the rules now say they have to leave the pitch at the nearest point?), the 'Lazarus effect' (players who have clearly just been shot suddenly running around like a young deer when they realise no foul is going to be given), the goalkeeper who can't find the ball then dribbles it to the other side of his area. I'm sure there are plenty more! Two points though - every team does it, but fans only ever see the opposition doing it and, more importantly, the poor refereeing that allows it all to happen.

Suddenly our draw against hull doesn’t look that bad

It doesn't and but for the woodwork we might have had all three points from that match. But a point I made at the time I believe is that teams that start a season like the proverbial train with a succession of wins often then can't buy a win for several matches after they finally fail to get all the points - it is like a bubble being popped. I can still recall that when we were down in the third tier Stoke started a season like that with about eight successive wins - I think one of them was against us - and then went into a slide that saw them not just miss out on automatic place but even the play-offs. Over the longer term a hard-fought draw that reminds you that you cannot take anything for granted is not a bad thing to have at the start of the season. Well we had two in the league at least and the sheer determination we showed yesterday is in part a consequence of that. It means that we do have a massive chance to climb into the play-off places on Tuesday. But that is a different match and one in which we will need to adopt a more adventurous approach. Let's hope Fernandez is back to play a part - his skills will be very much suited to playing that way.

Not sure if it has been mentioned but one of the club coaches broke down yesterday at Luton. Big thank you to Alan Browne for coming to say hello, Tyres coaches and driver for sorting then getting us all back home safely and Leanne for going above and beyond. It was a happy coach home with the young lads singing back to Preston.