PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Match Day - PNE v Hull City - 07/08/21 - KO:15:00 - Championship

The 'highlights' are truly painful.

I can't recall a more polite Preston North End defensive performance.

We seemed happy to watch them run past us and stood back to let them get their shots away.

If only they awarded points for politeness and indifference.

Maybe Lindsay is actually a striker? Because he defended like one on Saturday.

Browne never should have been captain in the first place, I go back to when he was being booed a few years ago and Neil came out with a completely OTT defence of him. And then played him every single game, made him captain and shoehorned him into the team in any position he could.

It also now looks obvious why he signed a new deal here as with what we've heard about his hip injury its unlikely he would have passed a medical somewhere else. He has his uses, but using him in midfield to try and build stuff isn't it.

What happened to the Browne we saw when he arrived when he would be aggressive and arrive late in the box to get headers at goal?

I found it odd how after 45 minutes of the season McAvoy binned the only formation he says we can play. He also said the team were warned about Lewis-Potter. I can understand the VDB sub to tighten it up down there (I'd have started him) but there was no need to make the Potts change as well. A bit of inexperience coming through there I thought.

Give it 10-15 minutes, see if the RHS had been sorted and then go from there.

We seemed happy to watch them run past us and stood back to let them get their shots away.

The way Lindsay and Storey both stopped for the 4th goal was embarrassing.

So something neeeds tAnalogy doesnt apply, I would be subject to discipline procedures if my performance was below par and the company was affected. There is no recourse for the club to apply for poor performance other than sitting them on the bench.. Where they still get paid handsomely. Severe lack of pride and effort shown yesterday.
And this has been a problem for a long while, and I have said it before it also includes the ball boys! The players should be screaming at them to get the ball back quick so that they can carry on with the game, but when was the last time you saw that? (but when have we had enough ballboys to do this or big enough to do it properly)!

No matter which manager we've had or which players, lack of urgency on the pitch has been very evident. So something needs to change further up the ladder!

Show pride and effort in every game then we might actually achieve something!

He takes the credit because he's willing to play them and let them express themselves.

Look at Keane Lewis-Potter for example. He was outstanding on the left today. If he was at PNE, he would probably be sat in the stands like Anthony Gordon was, because we favour physical workhorses rather than guys who take risks and might actually show some flair and create something. And then we wonder why we don't score enough goals.

As a club we need a serious re-think about how we actually play the game. Football's meant to be entertaining. We can't go on just having such little attacking threat and hardly any flair or creative players in the team.

Btw, McCann is working with less resource than PNE have. I agree Frankie hasn't been well-supported this summer but I don't think that's really the point in terms of today. Hull don't have a better squad or resource than us, but they seemed far better coached and tactically outwitted us.
This

And this has been a problem for a long while, and I have said it before it also includes the ball boys! The players should be screaming at them to get the ball back quick so that they can carry on with the game, but when was the last time you saw that? (but when have we had enough ballboys to do this or big enough to do it properly)!

No matter which manager we've had or which players, lack of urgency on the pitch has been very evident. So something needs to change further up the ladder!

Show pride and effort in every game then we might actually achieve something!
Ah well the ball boy thing is a favourite gripe of mine. But it's nothing to do with the players or the ball boys though. It's the manager who decides this and at North End we've recently have managers who want to shithouse and slow the game down, not speed it up.

It's like the players letting a ball go out for a throw rather than stopping it and playing on. That comes from the manager. I agree with you though....in my view we need urgency. If you let a ball go out for a throw, get it back in as soon as possible so you don't let the opposition reset.

Totally agree. Despite them being “only friendlies” the concerns many witnessed in them was confirmed against Hull. Why it took until half time for FM to see that I’ve no idea. Some may say he was brave enough to spot it and change, that he did , only to be undone 10mins later.
Big job on lads

Ah well the ball boy thing is a favourite gripe of mine. But it's nothing to do with the players or the ball boys though. It's the manager who decides this and at North End we've recently have managers who want to shithouse and slow the game down, not speed it up.

It's like the players letting a ball go out for a throw rather than stopping it and playing on. That comes from the manager. I agree with you though....in my view we need urgency. If you let a ball go out for a throw, get it back in as soon as possible so you don't let the opposition reset.

To be fair, our main attacking threat is Barky's long throw, so no point rushing if all the big lads from the back have to make their way forward.

We dont have the quality at the back or in midfield to pass the ball with any sort of intensity. Quick throw ins arent going to change a lot unfortunately

To be fair, our main attacking threat is Barky's long throw, so no point rushing if all the big lads from the back have to make their way forward.

We dont have the quality at the back or in midfield to pass the ball with any sort of intensity. Quick throw ins arent going to change a lot unfortunately
Well yeah if you've got a long weapon then fair enough, but I'm talking more about general throws not in range of the penalty area.

What quick throws do do is take advantage of the opposition being out of position. If you take 30 seconds to do a throw, it allows the opposing team to completely reset and organise defensively. You don't need to be a quality team to take advantage of that.

Well yeah if you've got a long weapon then fair enough, but I'm talking more about general throws not in range of the penalty area.

What quick throws do do is take advantage of the opposition being out of position. If you take 30 seconds to do a throw, it allows the opposing team to completely reset and organise defensively. You don't need to be a quality team to take advantage of that.
Bit personal to be talking about his long weapon

Part of the problem to me is our midfield and defence are generally reactive where Pearson was proactive.
Not enough nouse and football knowledge being applied. When you are being reactive,it has already happened or is happening. When you are proactive you are ahead of the game and have a reasonable chance of stopping it happen.

Totally agree. Despite them being “only friendlies” the concerns many witnessed in them was confirmed against Hull. Why it took until half time for FM to see that I’ve no idea. Some may say he was brave enough to spot it and change, that he did , only to be undone 10mins later.
Big job on lads
‘Big job on’ must be the most common phrase used by Nobbers from 1961 onwards.

It’s last season as well. The writing has been on the wall for a long long time.

we played half of last season with a better squad than we have now and could’ve gone down apart from some dead rubber wins at the end of the season.
The reason we did stay up was because we gained an ‘impressive’ 17pts from 24!
These ‘dead rubber’ games against Norwich, Swansea and Barnsley, all wanting points for being champions or for play off places were all difficult games!
Also, include Derby, playing to stay in the Championship, another ‘easy’ game!
We did what was needed and stayed in the Championship on merit.
Now we start again and this difficult league has already had some strange results, the Hull result was not good, but remember those dead rubber games.
Yes, Brentford was one, we lost, stuffed 5-0, but what happened??
We went on an unbeaten run in the other dead rubber games, drew 1 and won the rest, conceding just 1 goal!!!
Just keep the faith, many games to go and many points to be played for, we will learn from Saturday!

These ‘dead rubber’ games against Norwich, Swansea and Barnsley, all wanting points for being champions or for play off places were all difficult games!
Now we start again and this difficult league has already had some strange results, the Hull result was not good, but remember those dead rubber games.
We went on an unbeaten run in the other dead rubber games, drew 1 and won the rest, conceding just 1 goal!!!
Just keep the faith, many games to go and many points to be played for, we will learn from Saturday!
We didn’t stay up because of those games, we already had enough points to be safe even if we’d lost all of those

We were completely outclassed by Norwich, and Swansea and Barnsley were both guaranteed play off places when we played them so they were also dead rubbers

I think one of the most disturbing things about Saturday was that Frankie did the exact same thing he did against Brentford. Changed the shape to chase the game and we ended up getting hammered. For it to happen once against a Premier League bound side you can kind of shrug your shoulders and say he learned from it. But for it to happen again against a newly promoted side is so worrying.

I know our home record under Alex Neil in his final 12 months or so in the job ended up being very poor, but under him or Simon Grayson, during their long spells in charge getting absolutely battered at Deepdale was a pretty rare thing. We’ve had 5 home games under Frankie and had 2 tonkings already.

We’ll know after 10 games where we are. We’ve not been good enough for 18 months. It’s stale inside and outside the club.